Death sentence : an eye for an eye

Dawns

@ marharth:

I'll bet my monthly salary (which is not a lot :)) that if Breivik was imprisoned, then released, he'll do it again. Problem is, AT MAX he'll get 21 years: if he's lucky, he might come out even earlier. Execution is not meant to be done lightly, of course, but it's prevention.

Edited by dazzerfong

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ marharth:

I'll bet my monthly salary (which is not a lot :)) that if Breivik was imprisoned, then released, he'll do it again. Problem is, AT MAX he'll get 21 years: if he's lucky, he might come out even earlier. Execution is not meant to be done lightly, of course, but it's prevention.

I think he should be locked up for life since it is quite clear he is insane and would kill again if he wanted to. Legally he can't be locked up for life, but he also can't be legally executed. I am arguing on the moral side of things.

Edited by marharth

Why should people. who kill children, their mothers or their fathers, be allowed to live? They took away something valuable out of this world forever, and there is no getting it back. Why should scum who take away something like that be allowed to live? In case of extreme coercion, then yes, there should be a mitigated punishment, such as life-sentence. However, for those not under any external coercion, then why on Earth would you want those people alive?

I don't watch the News anymore. Every time I do, I hear about how a mother killed her children, or a man was shot to death. Do we want people like that even in our prisons?

Leave a child-murderer in a prison, most likely the inmates will kill him anyway, most likely in a painful, drawn-out process. So, life in prison, which would be about two years before you finally get stabbed and watch your guts pool out around you on the floor, or we can do something quick and instantaneous, like lethal injection or a bullet to the head.

A couple thoughts...

1. The US's death sentence laws need a major overhaul. Once an innocent person has been executed by the state it means the system's flawed, and lo and behold many people have been executed only to be found innocent after the fact. It's a shame and in a sense pins the state as a murderer. While I'm for the death penalty in extreme cases there still needs to be a better review system in place.

2. The nations with the happiest citizens and lowest crime rates have little or no death penalty and their prisons' missions are to reform and correct inmates, not punish them. Again, in many of these countries the death penalty is still an option for the most serious offenders (ex: Anders Behring Breivik).

3. It costs more to execute someone than it does to give them a life imprisonment, but due to overcrowding there simply isn't enough space to keep more prisoners for the long-term, nor do people want more prisons built (NIMBY).

@marharth

I am stating facts. The moment someone kills a child or equally heinous act, their days are numbered. If Prison doesn't kill them, someone else will for their atrocity. Then it will be emotional and drawn out. However, the State has the power to kill them with mercy. The State isn't emotion and it will be quick and painless.

What's more merciful? A quick, painless end with lethal injection or being locked up with inmates that WILL make the convicted suffer for what they did?

@Mattlittlej

Any system headed by humans will be flawed. However, some people are locked up for life because of a crime they did not commit and are never released.

Edited by saadus

People like Breivik deserve to die a long and painful death. Why is he even getting a court case? If I was in charge of his sentence, I'd lob his head off right away and spit on the b4stard's grave. He doesn't even care that he killed 69 people and attempted to kill 546. He told the court about how he shot someone in the head and watched their brains fly out in a matter-of-fact tone. He didn't have any remorse or anything. Edited by shotgun188

@marharth

I am stating facts. The moment someone kills a child or equally heinous act, their days are numbered. If Prison doesn't kill them, someone else will for their atrocity. Then it will be emotional and drawn out. However, the State has the power to kill them with mercy. The State isn't emotion and it will be quick and painless.

What's more merciful? A quick, painless end with lethal injection or being locked up with inmates that WILL make the convicted suffer for what they did?

@Mattlittlej

Any system headed by humans will be flawed. However, some people are locked up for life because of a crime they did not commit and are never released.

How about we make a more humane prison system then?