PC Ugrade!

Here are my specs:

[*] OS. Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002)

[*] System Model: Inspiron 530

[*] BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBios v6.00PG

[*] Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4CPUs), ~2.4GHz

[*] DirectX Version: DirectX 11

[*] Intel® G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

[*] Ram:6132 MB

From what i have been told so far i definitely need a upgrade to my PC to play skyrim.

Here are my questions:

1. I have chosen this possible combo as a graphics card and psu: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply, EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card.

2. I have current important files located on my hard drive and was wondering if it was possible to store skyrim on a mobile hard drive. I have seen friends do it with world of warcraft and minecraft and was just wondering if it was possible.

Any other tips and help would greatly appreciated.

i would really recommend a 560 Ti. its the best card per price. best bang for your buck. they are up around $250 though.

Is the one i chose pretty good as well? or maybe this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102908

And from my specs can my computer handle this new equipment??

Edited by Rokreon

yea they are decent cards. i mean nothing special, you wont be playing anything on ultra, probably medium/high.

and i honestly dont know. im not to familiar with older equipment performance.. i just recently got into PCs myself, so im really only familiar with how the new equipment performs. so idk what you mobo can handle and whatnot. but there are others, who will probably check in tomorrow, who can give you a lot more and better info then i can, esp with your current set up. good luck bro :)

HD6850 is possibly the most cost-efficient GPU you can get. But GTX560 Ti is considerably more powerful. If you want max out under $250, see if you can afford a 448 Cores version, it's even better.

Then again, if you aren't after "ultra" settings, 6850 or a regular 560 should do fine. You should be able to play almost everything, including everything cross-platform (i.e. that also runs on PS3 or Xbox 360), nearly maxed out, with just one or two unimportant settings reduced. For Skyrim it's strongly recommended to set shadows on low-med or off, you won't notice if they are there, but they consume a silly amount of resources, being poorly implemented.

Quad Q6600 is a decent CPU. Unfortunately it won't overclock as well as 9xxx, but you could safely push it to 2.66 GHz or 2.80 GHz. You shouldn't worry much about replacing it yet.

your Q6600 is good for skyrim ( If you want to overclock, you need aftermarket cooler and extra 120mm fan/s which is not included in stock)

if you want to save bucks for some reason you can go for a 550TI and a Rosewill Green series RG630 (not a fan of what you listed above, they all are seasonic :whistling:

and not sure about your RAM :confused: how much its show up in BIOS?( 4gb AND 8gb inspiron 530a/b)

You should Read this before Entering in Skyrim :thumbsup:

Tom's Hardware Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: PC Performance, Benchmarked

Edited by samadchaz

(not a fan of what you listed above, they all are seasonic :whistling:

considering Seasonic and the AX series of Corsair (not sure if Seasonic does the HX and TX series as well?) have proven to be some of the best PSUs on the market? just saying :P