skyrim STILL not using 4gb?

nickolas711

The only problem with 32-bit OS running Skyrim is that 32-bit Windows is configured by default to limit applications to 2 GB of RAM. You can change it to allow applications to use 3 GB of RAM. That is enough to run Skyrim smoothly, unless you have it very heavily modded. I haven't seen it using 4 GB of RAM yet, and I have 250 plugin mods installed.

I recall reading somewhere that the memory managment routines for windows 8 have been rewritten so it is possible that this is the reason I don't get CTD's (running Win8 here with 16GB RAM)

Lets hope they dont use this (really poor) excuse to promote Windows 8 (wonder what the add would look like "if you want a memory management that REALLY works buy Win 8 :)...well its not funny really). Hope this aint true though.

It has to be a hardware issue, as I am running at about 4 times vanilla load distance with lush trees and grass, high AA, and about 20GB of high res textures. I haven't had a CTD that wasn't from me being dumb and forgetting to check an .esp for whatnot in forever. I average about 2.8 GB usage in TESV.exe, and I've seen as high as 3.5 GB.