The lore friendly tag is abused

Philogosten

I come across this a lot where a mod says lore friendly but then it will have something like rifles or adding in new gods that are more powerful than all aedra and daedra or changing established ES characters entire backstory and life. Shouldn't a mod only use the lore friendly tag if it doesn't outright contradict the lore or timeline of the series? Lore friendly shouldn't mean that it just uses names from the lore but changes the characters belonging to those names into completely different characters and alters the series history completely. I want to be able to search for actual lore friendly mods but unfortunately with the tag as overused as it is I basically have to just ignore every single mod that ads quests since I don't know if it will really be lore friendly or if 5 minutes into the mod the Terminator will show up with really large guns and talk about how he is a dragonborn from an alternate universe and his name is Terma Nator then gives me a laser gun and says we gotta fight Skynet which has merged with dragons somehow and is the real threat instead of alduin.

Yes, that's a worthless tag for two reasons. One is that there are too many definitions of what lore-friendly actually means. The other and more critical one is that some people think it's cute to intentionally misuse it and tag all sorts of outlandish things with it. Technically you can report the most blatant cases to the moderators, but frankly I gave up on that long ago. I decided that it was much less stressful to just ignore that tag completely.

I think you are right. I guess I'm just bummed out about it because I wish I could know if a mod is really going to be lore friendly or not. Especially since I know the comment sections are unreliable since critical posts seem to disappear a lot so I have been tricked a lot by seeing a lot of positive reviews in the comment section only to try it out and find bugs galore that lead to ctd's even on my decent rig which has the cleanest registry ever and I manually install everything to make 100% sure nothing can go wrong with NMM. Plus writing that just doesn't add up and is always excused by the dragon break which is such a cop out, its like whenever I hear CHIM used as an excuse. Is there maybe some non youtube letsplay format way of finding out more about mods? I tried googling a lot of mods but google doesn't give results that seemed informative.

It might be a good idea if the Lore Friendly tag couldn't be set by authors. Personally I would rather not tag one of my mods as Lore Friendly, I think it's better to let users decide on that, however, that's an exception. Another exception would be the cheat tag, I don't touch that one.

But when it comes to something like the Skimpy tag I always set that myself as I simply don't trust some users to be objective about it.

I like that idea because too many people lie about what their mod is and without being able to rely on reviews there is no way to know what is wrong with a mod as well as whats in it. Maybe I should start a website for mod reviews just so others don't end up wasting their time on bad mods like I have.