[request] A WAY FOR THE TERRAFORMED TERRAIN TO STAY

lucashc90

Hey there!

Been playing the game and just found out the terraformer is still in game and functional (console: item terraformer)
HOWEVER the modified terrain dosen't stay that way upon loading the game or going too far as to cause the section you were to be reloaded upon return.

I remember that the map was divided into sections and you could even delete a specific sector's cache data to restore both terrain and resources for that area (camera batch number).
(explanation how it used to work when terraform was still in the main game https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r97PcLuThHg)

So my question is if we can mess with the cache to restore resources, can we also mess with it to retain terrain deformation?

I mean... must be because I don't know much about computers, but I have backed up an old version of the game right before they told us that the terraforming would disappear. Can't someone reverse engineer it to include it back? I imagine it would be simpler since it would be the exact same string of code it had back them.

Even the crashfish explosions and Cyclops collisions used to alter the terrain, so of course saving 256 sectors after every playtime over minor bumps would be problematic, but I always cleaned the cache after each game session and I was careful enough to leave out the parts with my bases, which made the lag pretty much unnouticed in my machine.

If the game saved ONLY the altered sectors into the game folder it would be ok I believe... I mean, out of the 256 sectors in the map you alter what? 2 to 8 sectors maximum? Isn't there a way to make it save only the sectors the Terraformer edits into a separate file? Maybe make some kind of program that automaticaly deletes any sector we don't want to leave out, constantly forcing the game to load from the default file for those areas?

I must be talking nonsense, since I don't understand much about programing, but I think that would be the way to make it work. The other option would be loading the map into a outside source, edit it there and overwrite the one existing in the game files, but why an outside program when we still have the Terraformer and older versions of Subnautica with those lines of code to help fasten the process?

Edited by lucashc90

It would be way too much work for us modders, as one, we dont understand the terrain systrm as well as the devs, and if the devs failed to overcome this problem, i don't think we could do a better job. At least i couldn't.