Tales of Faerun

AurianaValoria1

Anemone followed Othos with Avira on her shoulder to the inn, immediately smiling at the sight. It's not been long since she last was in such a jolly atmosphere, but it was long enough for her to forget the feeling. Careful not to step on anybody, the genasi eventually made her way to a table that looked at least relatively clean, deciding it would be for the best not to order anything. The raven landed next to the woman and sat on the table, still seemingly grumpy because she was a bit wet from the rain.

"Everybody seems to be having a blast." Ane said cheerfully to Othos, glancing in the genasi's direction as she took off her hat and put it next to the bird.

--------------

Sefris glanced irritatedly at the orc, clapping in an overly dramatic manner.

"My, my, an orc with a sense of humor. I thought they usually died young. It is not a surprise for one such as you, one focused so much on being a barbarian and chopping his way with an axe, to underestimate arcane power and those skilled in it such as I." the fey-ri replied poisonously, scoffing silently.

She did feel like tearing someone's head off after the little 'chat' with their newest member, but fighting an orc? Ugh. She wouldn't be able to get the smell out of her clothes for days.

"Mind over matter." the half-demoness added before continuing to walk down the hall, opening the first doors on the left. Empty, too small and pathetic-looking. She closed the doors a few seconds later, not considering such a room fit for her needs.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aurora grinned in enthusiastic joy as yet more entered the tavern to join the joviality, and what an entrance these travellers made- Led by a winged knight with scarlet red hair and brilliant green eyes, she was followed by an entourages of mismatched misfits and creatures from races she never thought she would see together in one room, let alone peacefully, an Ulitharid, a Wemic, elves, humans, a tiny elven-like man that made her giggle as she watched him, oh what fun!

Calling to the barmaid she shouted "Drinks! For our new arrivals! Let them feel wondrous! hehe!" Aurora danced as she jumped from the bar, laying down her fiddle (As carefully as a drunken maniac could) And began to dance with those of the party who chose to. She stumbled along to dance with the wemic, fumbled forwards to shake her body between the brothers grey, giving them both an appreciative eye, grabbing their hands for a twirl, and making her way towards the elven man with purple eyes, who seemed as much at home in this atmosphere as she was.

Dancing close to him she smiled "Welcome! I must say you and your friends are a sight to behold!"

-----

"Oh by Illsensine's tendrils... we go from the raging sees to the raging drunk in a matter minutes? Why how very wonderful." Xallistins sighed, setting himself down next to Rhaine with a rather fed-up sigh. Still the UIitharid would endure, he had faced far worse torture being subject to Duergar version of a mating dance, so all was well.

Edited by mythicdawnmaster

Enjoying himself immensely, Tannin felt more at home than he had in ages. He had spent much of his life in rowdy inns such as these and never grew tired of them. When the woman who had been on the table danced towards him, he was more than happy to speak to her. "And well met to you! You've only seen half of us, And in a rather a sorry state. Our day at sea was an interesting one. Pirates sunk our ship and tried to take us hostage, Then sirens fell upon their ship and we had to fight them off in a nasty storm. One could think that Umberlee herself cursed our journey!" He told her as he danced along with her.

---------------

Azuris sat next to Rhaine as he drank from his mug of ale. The news of a tournament perked him up a bit. "Sounds interesting. Back in the order we used to hold jousting matches when we were bored. Might be fun to try and get a match." He said thoughtfully.

Rhaine sipped from her wine and shot Azuris a knowing look, "Aye, I've had my share of it as well. Back before my little...incident...changed my career path for good, I was falling off of my pony time and again as my instructor tried to teach me how to joust like a proper knight. I wasn't very good at it. Mind you, I was only fourteen at the time, and I didn't really like it. I think he just wanted to see me fall in the dirt a few times a tenday...put me in my place, as it were."

She set her goblet down and shook her head with a slight smile, "Fun times. Anyway, I did get a chance to practice more with a few Neverwintan knights during the Shadow War. It was then I actually developed a slight talent for it, when I was finally given proper instruction rather than being told to gallop at a dummy over and over. It would be nice to try and put those skills to the test...though I'll need a better mount. Red Thunder will never carry me into the lists, let alone withstand massive impacts like that."

Conall nodded, "I'm game. I've learned the sport in my time as well, though it has been a while. Should be an interesting distraction, to say the least."

"Mayhap," Rhaine replied, "But is it a distraction we can afford?"

The silver-clad paladin looked askance at her, "Perhaps it is one that we are meant to be a part of? Let us see where this path leads...and maybe it shall be to our benefit."

Nawen grabbed a chair and joined others at the table. She saw that some were enjoying themselves and dancing with the bard and as much as she disliked to admit she was a bit jealous knowing that she will never be brave enough to do something like this.

The drow turned her attention elsewhere when she heard something about a tournament. "I agree with Conall," she said, "besides we could use a little break. I think we deserve it." She added.

=====================================

Shalena watched the bard as she danced around with not a care in the world. "I like her." She said and looked around the tavern. "So many people to pickpocket." She thought to herself and started dancing around the common room herself while searching for anything worth taking.

"Jousting? And what exactly, do forgive my lapse of knowledge in this area, is jousting? Charging head on at a target while mounted does not seem like a very sensible idea, do the horses not take considerable damage?" Xallistine's lacking in knowledge was a rare occurrence, but it was true that his forte was unravelling the fabrics of time and space, and finding the secrets of the arcane. The surface world was entirely another matter altogether, not to mention their strange customs.

----

Aurora grinned, dancing close to the handsome elf with an eye of admiration, not quite as agile as she was a few hours ago, she wasn't asleep on the floor, well, not yet at least. "Really?" She squeaked in surprise and wonder "Well how bloody wonderful! I wish I could have been there, but alas, the tavern called." Stumbling towards a table she grabbed a pair of mugs full of some beer or another, and offered one to Tannin as they danced. "I'm.. Hmm, well I'm a bard! What's your name?"

"Well." Weyland began to explain to Xallistine, slurring. "They put the hor-horsh-horses on opposite sides of a fence and they don't use real spears, they've got something to dull the edge." It took him almost a minute to think of what to say next, and then he burst back into conversation. "Some of them got lil' fist or- what are they- lil' fist thingies on the end-"

"Ornaments." The sober Amendale chimed in.

"Yeh. The lil' orna-ornamentsh on the end that make it more like getting hi-*hic*- hit, like slapped, like with a spoon, instead of stabbed. 'Cause that would hurt."

Amendale sighed. "I'm going to have to drag these two to bed tonight, aren't I?"

Arland rudely butted into the conversation from halfway across the room, also having trouble speaking. "Hey, that sounds fun. Where do I sign up?" He fell off of his stool and took a long time to stumble to his feet.

"Yes, I wanna sign up too." Weyland agreed.

"I think I'll just sleep here tonight." Arland announced proudly from the floor. "S'comfy...."

"I think I'll just leave him there..." Amendale grinned wickedly.

Rhaine simply shook her head and sighed at Weyland and Arland, "Those two..."

Turning to Xallistine, she replied, "Anyway, they're right. Jousting is a traditional noble sport, where two opponents charge at each other on horseback. A fence separates the two riders, called a tilt. The tilt keeps the horses from charging straight into each other, and as they are usually specifically trained for the sport, they generally enjoy the activity; it is a simple matter of galloping as fast as they possibly can. The horses can be hurt if they are struck, but it is a rare occurrence.

"The riders are fully armored for their protection and armed with only a lance. Like Weyland described, lances are similar to spears, but they are made of a wood that is intended to shatter, and the tips are guarded by metal bosses. The goal is to strike your opponent upon the shield, resulting in a reward of points...the number of which depends on the event. If a lance is shattered, that gains more points. If the force is large enough to actually unhorse your opponent and send them flying into the dirt, even more points are awarded. Usually, you'll have anywhere from three to five passes at each other. The one with the most points at the end of the match wins, and the winners from each pairing will then go on to face each other until an overall champion emerges."

"It is a brutal sport," Conall added, "And sometimes it is not all in fun. Nobles often use the joust as a means of justice and to settle disputes. Some are even to the death. The accused and the injured party will fight each other in the arena...if the accused loses, justice has been served. If the accused wins, he or she walks away without charges."

Tannin accepted the mug and took a hearty swig from it, figuring it best not to think about who it belonged to. "Tannin my lady, simply Tannin. And might I say that it's a delight to meet someone with that title who's actually.... merry. The last one I met was a dreadful fellow who had the social skills and manners of a drunken ogre."

-------------

"From the sounds of things it's settled then." Said Azuris. "Can only hope the competition can give us a challenge. Wouldn't be much fun going up against farm boys who've never worn armor before."

--------------

Hexol wandered up to the bar with his pockets overflowing with random bits and bobbles and things. He had a broad grin on his face as he climbed up onto a stool. "Everyone here's having LOTS of fun aren't they? I wonder if it's like this all the time?"

Nawen listened to Rhaine describing the jousting to Xallistine. She was completely fascinated by it even if she had no idea why exactly was this sport of knocking each other off horses sounded so interesting and fun to her.

"Imagine that... wining a jousting tournament." She said almost daydreaming which was so unlike her.

============================================

Finding nothing too interesting, Shalena stopped pickpocketing people and started emptying tankards that were not yet empty as people who had ordered them slept on the floor. As she drank the pirate also started singing some pirate-y song and much to her surprise a few patrons had joined her in the singing.