Tales of Faerun

AurianaValoria1

Rhaine's emerald eyes widened as she took in the information on that dreadful page. It was true. All of it was true. The Eye existed, Ravenna was after it, and all of the gods were in danger. She instantly felt protective of Kelemvor, and she clutched the ring close to her chest.

And then, a revelation suddenly hit her. The Doomguide stood abruptly and slammed her hand on the table, causing the dishes to dance and rattle.

"A thousand damnations! I should have seen this sooner!" she hissed, "Didn't Ravenna mention her mother taught her everything she knew? Didn't we think it odd that Ravenna was a Thayan living on the Sword Coast? And didn't that book say that Miora's body was never found? I know why! Miora is Ravenna's mother! Her tomb is here, in the west, not in Thay! The ancient elven fortresses...a perfect place to hide the sepulcher of a Thayan wizard!"

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Echo and Mahira were startled by the sound of Rhaine's hand striking the table. The halfling accidentally elbowed her empty mug; Mahira caught it before it could hit the floor. Echo leaned against her friend and whispered, "Thanks," then remained silent while Rhaine spoke. The urgency in the Doomguide's voice made her heart race, and she could see tension in the set of Mahira's jaw.

"When shall we depart, Lady Rhaine?" asked the Calishite. "I need a little time to replace things that were stolen from us ... can do it now, if the shops are still open." Echo nodded and rose to her feet, anxiously awaiting Rhaine's reply.

Jingle sat in a chair not far away, his bare feet suspended in the air on the table and he played a lively tune on his lute as he sang. "Oh come along all you sailor lads and listen to my plea. And when I am finished you'll agree I was a goddamned fool in the port of Shiverpool, The first time that I came home from sea, We was paid off at The Hove from a port called Sydney Cove And two crown ten a month was all my pay: Oh I started drinking gin and was neatly taken in. By a little girl they all called Maggie May" He sang, the crowd began to cheer and sing along, Loudwater and Shiverpool were famous towns for sailors.

He smiled as he played and continued. "Oh Maggie, Maggie May they have taken you away. To slave upon that cold Van Diemen shore, Oh you robbed so many sailors and also lots of whalers You'll never cruise down Lime Street any more" He sang, the bar had been full of sailors and everyone of them knew this song. Two humans begun to fight one another and the brawl erupted in beer and blood, spilling over tables and other patrons.

"Twas a damned unlucky day when I first met Maggie May She was cruising up and down old Canning Place. Oh she had a figure fine as a warship of the line, And me being a sailorman I gave chase; In the morning when I woke stiff and sore and stoney broke. No , trousers, coat, or waistcoat could I find The landlady said 'Sir I can tell you where they are They'll be down in Stanley's hock-shop number nine." He sang, his fingers playing the lively tune expertly and his large bare foot tapping the air to the beat of the music.

"To the bobby on his beat at the corner of the street, To him I went to him I told my tale. He asked me as if in doubt 'Does your mother know you're out?' But agreed the lady ought to be in jail. To the hock-shop I did go but no trousers there I spied, So the bobbies came and took the girl away. The jury guilty found her for robbing a homeward bounder And paid her passage to Botany Bay."

Edited by Macman253

Rhaine put her head in her hand, backing away a bit from the table. "We leave on the morrow, at dawn. Everyone make sure you stock up on supplies and get plenty of rest beforehand. There is no time to waste, of that I am now certain."

She sidestepped to avoid a stumbling drunkard who had picked a fight with one of the off-duty town guards. Taking one of the room keys, she gestured to the others, "Pick your roommates...I care not who shares with me. If you will excuse me, I need to be alone for a while."

With that, she made her way out of the increasingly crowded tavern and into the evening air.

Mahira and Echo headed for the door, evading the drunken combatants as best they could. Suddenly Echo exclaimed, "Wait! What about your dinner?"

"Hells," muttered Mahira, her expletive lost in the chaos around them. She yelled, "Stay here!" and went to speak with her waitress once more, then returned to where Echo stood against the wall watching the melee. The Calishite put a hand on her friend's shoulder and shouted, "Let's go!"

As soon as they left the tavern, Mahira handed over some of the gold from her coin purse. "Find out whether the general goods store has what we need, and I'll see about getting a horse."

"Horse? No ponies?" asked Echo unhappily.

"It depends on what's available, ahbab.* Go on, and I'll join you as soon as I can. Be on your guard." Mahira moved off in the direction of the stable.

Echo was relieved to find the general store still open for business. The tradeswoman, a silver-haired dwarf matron, smiled as the halfling entered her shop. "Greetings, little mistress, what can I do for you?"

"Good evening, ma'am, I'm looking for survival gear." She rattled off a list of items and followed the shopkeeper from shelf to shelf, helping her carry things to the front of the store. By the time everything was collected and paid for, Mahira still hadn't returned. The dwarf kindly offered to keep her shop open so the halfling wouldn't need to stand outside with her purchases; Echo thanked her for her help, and the pair chatted happily about inconsequential matters while they waited.

*Translates as "darling" or "dear" from Calishite Alzhedo, a form of the Alzhedo language spoken in Calimshan.

Meanwhile, Mahira found the stable open and the stalls mostly full. The stable hand was present, and said he knew of no horses or ponies for sale; however, a familiar horse tossed her head in their direction and snorted: it was White-Nose. Apparently the mare remembered Mahira bringing apples to her while Echo was still in prison. The Calishite ruffled White-Nose's forelock and asked the stable hand whether he knew where to find her owner; he provided a description of a traveling merchant who was most likely carousing with friends in the Smiling Satyr. She had no trouble finding the merchant: a wealthy fellow, red-faced from drinking, and inclined to be overly friendly. He was open to the idea of selling his mare, and didn't mind being without a mount himself for a little while.

"Business has been good ... won't need to leave Loudwater for another week. I have time to find a new horse," he explained.

As soon as Mahira offered to trade some of her ill-gotten gems for the mare, one of the merchant's drinking partners mentioned he'd also be willing to sell a horse to her. "Hish name'sh Kishmet," he slurred, covetously eyeing Mahira's proffered jewels. "Good fella ... gelding, shtrong and healthy." The Calishite bought both horses and their used tack for more than their value, hoping her luck would hold and that the gelding and equipment were in fair condition. She was not disappointed.

Naturally, Echo was delighted when Mahira showed up with her favorite mare. The dwarf matron helped the two companions get their new gear situated, then sent them away with her wishes for their good health and fortune.

Upon returning to the stable, the Calishite considered staying with the horses overnight, but the stable hand wouldn't hear of it. "I'll do it - I'll make sure no one steals from you a second time. That's the least I can do after what happened with your ponies." The women expressed their gratitude, and then made their way back to the Green Tankard. Mahira ate lukewarm stew with bread and cheese, and tipped the waitress handsomely for saving the food for her.

Exhausted, the pair finally retired to Mahira's room, but slept fitfully, worrying about the impending confrontation with Ravenna.

Jingle stopped playing as he realized the brawl he had inadvertently set off erupted into warfare, he thumbed his cap up onto his head and smiled, a knife from inside the brawl stuck into the wall just above his head and pinned his hat against the wall. Jingle ducked and looked up to see his hat ruined.

"Damn it all, that was my best hat..." He said as he dropped off his chair and grabbed his things, the brawl had begun to get worse. It wouldn't be long before the town guard would arrive. He snaked through legs as he walked through the door, he was surprised to find a seed-cake on the ground and casually picked it up and ate it as he made his way through the brawl. One man took a flying flagon of ale to the face and hit the ground in front of Jingle, he noticed the man was knocked cold and decided to relieve him of his fine cap with a long pheasant feather stuck in the band. He joyfully picked up the cap and stuck it on his head as he walked out of the tavern.

He noticed his employer had left but they left their baggage here, Kurashi still snored loudly as he laid in the back of the wagon. Jingle shrugged and sat on the back of the wagon as he ate his seed-cake and strummed his lute. "Sing ho for a brave and a gallant ship, And a fast and favoring breeze. With a bully crew and a captain to. To carry me over the seas,

To carry me over the seas me boys, To my true love far away. For I'm taking a trip on a Government ship Ten thousand miles away." He sang as he strummed a lively tune and kicked his feet as he played, remembering his times in Wayrest, a small port town far to the east. The adventures he had aboard the the Rusty Cutlass and her Captain Lucinda Marie.

Nawen sat at the table even after their new friends and Rhaine went either to rest or to shop. She realized how much Kelemvor meant to Rhaine but she wondered how can someone even as powerful as Ravenna possess some sort of threat to Gods? They are Gods after all.

The ranger turned to Xallistine. "Does she need anything else? The eye can't be the only object." She said.

Aedan frowned. He could not remember if Ravenna mentioned her plans of becoming a deity or he simply didn't listen to it. "Whatever you say, oh powerful future Goddess." He said sarcastically and looked away. The Fallen had decided to leave the group as soon as the witch will become whatever deity she wishes to become. He had rejected the Gods, all of them and the last thing he needs is to follow around one of them.

The sun was beginning to set, tinting the sky a gorgeous shade of orange and pink. Rhaine walked until she found the cemetery and stopped outside its low wall, leaning against the cool stone. The Doomguide loosened her hair from its messy ponytail and bowed her head in prayer. Afterwards, she simply stood there and gazed at the various monuments and headstones...some of them marble and granite mausoleums, others barely more than markers. She was not taking in any details; her mind was too active with thoughts of the task ahead. Rather, she kept pondering about this "Eye of Miora." She couldn't imagine the amount of...well...ungodly power it had if it posed a threat to the deities of Toril.

She absentmindedly fiddled with her holy amulet...the classic manifestation of her worry. Perhaps others weren't so concerned as she because they did not share the same connection with their gods as she did with hers. Favored Souls were rare, Chosen even more so. In both cases, the god was an integral part of the mortal. Without Kelemvor, she would have nothing...everything that had made her who she was would be gone.

Surely the gods knew something about the Eye? Kelemvor obviously sensed something awful about Ravenna. In fact, it was likely that he knew all about the witch and her ambitions. As Rhaine thought about this, the worry for him diminished somewhat; it was highly unlikely that the Lord of the Dead would be foolish enough to walk right into a trap...but which god would be? Ravenna had a way of playing with others' vanity, and many of the gods were quite vain indeed...

Sune.

Rhaine remembered that Ravenna's former patron was the goddess of love - arguably the most beautiful goddess in existence. The Doomguide cursed again. It could not have been written more plainly. As Ravenna aged and began losing her youthful beauty, she became jealous of her own deity! And so, the witch spent her entire life seeking a way to have immortality and eternal beauty for herself. Now that most of her temporary methods were failing, she sought a more permanent solution to her problem.

Gods, why didn't I see all of this sooner?

Rhaine whirled on her heels and began heading back towards the Green Tankard, furious at herself for not putting the pieces together faster. As she went, there was a small cry overhead, and Theron swooped close, landing on her shoulder lightly and continuing to make little noises to himself. His golden eyes, almost glassy in the fading light, blinked at her twice. The Doomguide could not help but smile and stroke the top of his head gently.

"How lucky you are," she murmured to the black eagle as she approached the tavern again, "Able to take flight away from the worries of the earth, seeking peace in the heavens, where none may dare harm you. How I wish I could fly with you sometimes, my feathered friend."

Rhaine entered the tavern and sought out her room. As usual, she chose the door at the very end of the hall - hopefully, whoever decided to share with her would not mind. The Doomguide resolved to purchase some supplies from the innkeeper in the morning. For now, she needed rest.

Xallistine's eyes were sunken, and he had no idea what to say to Nawen... he wished he could offer words to make the situation seem better, and he prayed that he knew what else Ravenna needed- If in fact she needed anything else. She was trained in techniques even the most reckless Necromancers would never dream of attempting, trying to imagine what the witch knew was like trying to find a needle in a sea of hay. "I... I honestly do not know Lady Nawen, i wish i could offer you words of solace and tell you i knew what else the witch required, and tell you that we can stop her plans. But i do not.. for once i.. i have no idea what we must do, and it frustrates me down to my core!" He cried, clenching his graceful talons into a fist. "But what i do know is that we must rest for what is to come tomorrow... for we hold the very balance of this world, no, this universe in our hands." He closed his eyes and shook his head, gathering his things neatly into his satchel. "May the gods be on our side."

As dusk turned to night, Ravenna paid no heed, even if the world were alight in flames she would continue on to reach her goal, it was all that mattered to her now. Everything else was merely expendable, her family, her allies, her power, everything. If she could reach divinity she would unleash hell upon the gods and there creations, one by one consume them all. But she kept her mind from wandering too far into her grandeur, instead she focused on her task. They grew ever near to a half-buried crypt, whose creators had laid deadly traps to await those who dare enter.

Theron alighted on the cloak rack while Rhaine shut the door and quickly removed her armor, changing into her nightdress and laying her belongings at the foot of the small cot. All the while, she kept thinking about Ravenna and the witch's evil ambitions. She reminded the Doomguide so much of Karsus...the ancient Netherese archmage who had attempted to displace Mystra herself. He had indeed succeeded and become the new god of magic, but only for a moment, until his existence had ended in an awful failure. His folly collapsed the Netherese Empire and created the King of Shadows in a matter of seconds - the very King of Shadows whom Rhaine herself had been forced to slay not so long ago. Amusingly enough, the goddess Mystra was reborn and still reigned, as if nothing had ever happened.

Rhaine sat at her windowsill and brushed her hair as she thought, wondering if they could stop Ravenna before she achieved her goal. How far would the witch get before they reached her? And even if they could stop her, what kind of damage would she be able to accomplish before they did?

She sighed heavily and threw her ivory comb on top of her pack. Running her hands through her hair, she leaned back against the windowsill with her eyes closed. Theron whistled softly, and she opened her eyes again to see the eagle cocking his head at her curiously. He then flapped a few times and glided over to her, walking sideways along the sill until he came even with her left wing. He seemed to just now notice her old injury, as he ran his beak gently along the line of stumpy, new feathers - where several of them had been torn out by the hydra. Rhaine took a finger and rubbed his head again with a smile, "It's getting better."

Her thoughts trailed to that fight, still remarkably fresh on her mind after almost a month. She had come so close to death that day; had the hydra struck just a little farther to the right, it would have bitten her in two...or worse, eaten her alive. It was a clear reminder of her mortality; despite her Chosen status, she could still die. And in this coming conflict, it was very much a possibility.

The Doomguide twirled the golden ring around her finger, feeling its warmth as it reacted to her touch...

...and off in the distance, a banshee wailed.

Edited by AurianaValoria1