Skyrim info?

Casines

Was thinking about buying skyrim, wanted opinions on the game. However please no story spoilers!! Thanks

I been dissapointed with the game, its so shallow and basicaly its just oblivion simplified, but still i think its worth buying...the first moments in the game you will be amazed how beautiful the world is.

As always only with mods you can really enjoy beths games and there are already thousands of them availiable...i say give it a shot.

Pro tip: always make sure to block new patches from steam for skyrim, as they have the tendency to break the game then fix it...better to wait and see if the new patch didnt mess things up.

I think it's a great game and would definitely recommend it. There are obviously a few flaws, but it is still worth playing and will provide countless hours of enjoyment. Mods do help a lot and I probably wouldn't want it on a console. We're getting to the point of seeing some really good mods come out now, and I'm sure there will be even more over the coming months. So if you were thinking about getting it on 360 or PS3 I'd still get it, just don't expect it to have as much playtime as with a PC.

About the previous posters "Pro-tip." it may be a good idea to wait a little while on the patches that is true. However, except for one older patch, it's not the patches that break the game, it's mods. Some mods have to be updated when a new patch comes out, some mods stop working altogether when a new patch comes out. That's just the way it is. If you are careful about what mods you install and read up on them everything will be fine. I've gotten every update within a day of it coming out and have had no problems at all. There is a lot of talk about the patches breaking stuff in the game when in reality it's a mod they have. Just don't overboard on the mods and you'll be fine. If you download mods, do it one at a time and test them out to see if they mess anything up.

That said it is wise to wait a day or so after a patch just to see if any mods that you have are conflicting with it. Love the game though and will playing it for a long long time.

Buy it, end it in deeply (explore all finish all quest, it require 400+ hours) first time then wait for new dungeon/landmasses that the modders make

or replay again by adding some treasure hunting mod and secondary map markers, this permit to you to going trough the game even more deeply by exploring thing that in the normal game you will never find

its better that in the first playtrough keep the vanilla game, no mods no other thing, in the second playtrough you can add whatever thing you want ;)

Edited by yota71

I think it's a great game and would definitely recommend it. There are obviously a few flaws, but it is still worth playing and will provide countless hours of enjoyment. Mods do help a lot and I probably wouldn't want it on a console. We're getting to the point of seeing some really good mods come out now, and I'm sure there will be even more over the coming months. So if you were thinking about getting it on 360 or PS3 I'd still get it, just don't expect it to have as much playtime as with a PC.

About the previous posters "Pro-tip." it may be a good idea to wait a little while on the patches that is true. However, except for one older patch, it's not the patches that break the game, it's mods. Some mods have to be updated when a new patch comes out, some mods stop working altogether when a new patch comes out. That's just the way it is. If you are careful about what mods you install and read up on them everything will be fine. I've gotten every update within a day of it coming out and have had no problems at all. There is a lot of talk about the patches breaking stuff in the game when in reality it's a mod they have. Just don't overboard on the mods and you'll be fine. If you download mods, do it one at a time and test them out to see if they mess anything up.

That said it is wise to wait a day or so after a patch just to see if any mods that you have are conflicting with it. Love the game though and will playing it for a long long time.

You seem to forgot the awesome patch with backwards flying dragons, i dont think that was caused by mods..but other then that you are right, mostly mods conflict with new patches.

I would recommend getting Skyrim for the PC if your computer exceeds the system requirements for the game. If you have more than 7 GB of room on your hard drive (I'd suggest having 10 or 15 GB free so you have room for mods), a really good video card (an NVidia GeForce 8800 or better), and at least 2GB of RAM, it will run the game pretty well. If you just barely meet the system specs, you'll have to turn down the graphics quality quite a bit and the game won't look as good as it should.

Even if you play it with the visual settings turned down, it's still a great game. I disagree that the game is too shallow. Like any RPG, you have to get into it and go along with the premise of it in order to really enjoy it. Some aspects of the controls and user interface are done more simply than they were for Morrowind and Oblivion, but I see that as a good thing. It makes the game work better for consoles and it makes the game more user friendly for a lot of today's kids who didn't grow up playing the complex computer games and who have little experience with role playing games.

Like anything made by humans, it has its flaws and aspects that maybe could have been done differently, but that's the great thing about the PC version. You have this great Skyrim Nexus website to get mods from to make the game more to your liking.

As for the game itself, I happen to be a big fan of stories about vikings, so I really enjoy the viking-esque flavor of this game. The storyline is interesting and is a rather different take on the whole 'hero slays the dragon' genre of fantasy stories. If you played Fallout 3, you'll see some of the lessons they learned on making that game applied to this one. In fact, I'd say that one way to describe Skyrim without spoiling anything is to say that it is like the guys who made Oblivion and who made Fallout 3 got together and swapped ideas.

If you have liked Bethesda's previous games, you'll like this one.

You seem to forgot the awesome patch with backwards flying dragons, i dont think that was caused by mods..but other then that you are right, mostly mods conflict with new patches.

Yeah that's why I said "except for one of the older patches"

Edited by thompsonar

I'm in a serious love-hate relatinship with Skyrim (and Bethesda, by extension). I bought the game after getting taken in by the hupe, like so many other gamers did, and was then very disappointed that it didn't even come close to living up to that hype. If you're looking for a role-playing game where little things like dialog options and big things like slaying dragons actually mean anything, then find another game. There's not a shred of "role-playing" in Skyrim, contrary to Bethesda's claims and vocal support from the game's fanboys. I've been role-playing since the early 1970s (yes, I'm THAT old), so I know the difference between role-playing games and hack-and-slash game, and Skyrim is most definitely a hack-and-slash game.

On the other hand, the world is a panorama of beauty everywhere you look. It's better than Oblivion in many ways (and much worse in other ways). The "dungeons" don't have that same-same feel that Oblivion's did, although after awhile you'll start noticing the cookie-cutter construction. However, the level designers were pretty good at camouflaging that in Skyrim, and it boiled over into the outside environments. There are some annoyingly "familiar" things about the terrain construction, once you been around the block a few times, but that was true for Oblivion, too. Ignore that, and Skyrim is wonderland to just explore.

The radiant quest system insures that there is always something to do, even after you've done all the standard quests (or if you're trying to role-play and decide to play the game you want to and just pick and choose among the quests). Keep in mind that Bethesda chose, in this iteration of the ES, to railroad you into getting involved in every single "primary quest) (the Main Quest, all the guild quests, and many that interweave with these that should have nothing to do with them). After several false starts I learned how to avoid many of them. The downside to the radiant quest system is that it can actually interfere with other other quests by duping you into doing something that bugs them. There are usually console cheats that can be used to fix these issues, but not always. Always consult the wiki articles on interior cells and quests before you do them. You don't have to spoil things by reading a whole article. Just skip down to the Notes and Bugs sections and read (and thoroughly understand) those before you continue. I suggest you do the same thing with named NPCs before you kill one of them. Many of them are not essential and will still be needed at some point in the game.

One poster, thompsonar, mentioned that the patches are not breaking the game. Mods are breaking the game. I must respectfully disagree. Patches are breaking things, and in many cases mods can't be blamed for the issues because people's installed mods have nothing to do with the new problems. Other than that, he's spot-on. In addition, Bethesda isn't always focusing on the real problems. The first 1.5.x patch broke every smithing mod in the game, because the developers decided they didn't want players grinding smithing for levels anymore. That means, as one well-known video playthrough creator said, that they changed the rules of engagement right in the middle of the battle. Expect more of this.

You'll get that patch, by the way. Steam will install it for you, whether you want it to or not. In fact, Steam will push updates to your games on you even when you have the auto-update feature turned off! Yes, the Steam client is ignoring this. My suggestion is to install the game, and DON'T install any mods. Play the game through, at least for the primary quests, once without using mods. You'll get a good feel for vanilla Skyrim, and I think you'll find it a reasonably good play, especially if you're coming into the ES for the first time. Then mod to your heart's desire, with all the caveats that implies.

Bethesda has been busy fixing the plethora of bugs that infested the earlier versions of Skyrim. Out of eleven playthroughs, so far, I've abandoned half of them due to game and quest breaking bugs, including my first one which had no mods installed at all. It's probably not that bad, now, but I've frozen my game at version 1.14.27.0.4 by putting Steam in offline-mode. I also have the Unofficial Skyrim Patch installed -- a must-have, since it deals with a lot of bugs that it's a sure bet Bethesda will never bother fixing.

Just remember the cautions about modding your game. Patches WILL break mods. Bethesda didn't write this game with the PC in mind. It's a console game, poorly ported over to the PC. They don't care about the PC, so much as they are focused on the 85% or so slice of the pie that is made up of console gamers. Keep Steam offline and read about new patches for a few days before you throw it online just long enough to update your game (and hope that they aren't slipping a "stealth patch" through without notification. Or, like me, you can just leave it offline and live with earlier mods until Bethesda gets things sorted out. That may take awhile.

Sure, I complain a lot about Skyrim on this forum. I also have 500+ hours into the game. I've gotten much more than my $65 out of it, and that says a lot for a game that was horribly flawed out of the starting gate, has shallow and uninspired quests, poor writing, and doesn't even meet the standards of good story-telling that Oblvion had (which isn't saying much). It's no Morrowind, but I think it stands on its own as a wonderful place to just explore and enjoy, sans quests. I'm currently at level 45 with my current playthrough, and I haven't done a single primary quest, except for pushing the Main Quest just long enough to get dragons to spawn in the game (I need their souls to unlock shouts).

Yeah that's why I said "except for one of the older patches"

Ah seems i missed it, sorry about that.

Edited by pavy

Get it. Don't listen to all the complaining. You'll get your money's worth. Despite being the less loved child of TES family, few games can give you as much entertainment as Skyrim.