Do Texture mods make you crash?

Spewed

I'm not sure what the problem with Skyrim is, maybe it's just a crash happy pile of garbage.. But, I've had to uninstall it and reinstall it moreso than any other game I have ever played in my life due to crashing mishaps. Am I missing something here?

Sometimes I crash when going in a particular area. For example, I used to crash in the area around Riften before uninstalling the game. Then, also I used to crash going towards Riverwood. What gives? It's insanity, purely.

Could texture mods be causing this? I've uninstalled every single mod minus the textures. Then again, I don't see why texture mods would make you crash?

it's just a crash happy pile of garbage..

This.

Although textures are the 'safest' mods you can install.

As for your particular problem, it sounds like a mod you used borked your game. Even after removing them, any changes made to the world can remain in your save. Also, if you tweaked uGrids, your game will eventually fail.

From my experience,New location mods such as player homes,Dungeons,Quests and new lands are by far the worst mods you can install.

If your game crashes a lot try to uncheck these mods first, MOds that alter apearence,makes new weapons,add new things and perks are a lot better

as they usually makes your game chrash before going ingame makes it easier to keep track of which ones that dont work.

Nope it's just Skyrim ... What you need to do is the following ...

:wallbash:

:facepalm:

:biggrin:

Then just spam the F5 key (quicksave) ... hmmm ... about every 15 secs sounds about right, the game will still crash (can't play for more than about 20 mins without an exit to desktop. but usually a lot less) but at least you won't have lost much progress.

With the 1.5 patch, BGS built a special feature into the game at least ... It now stutters and lags, your characters and NPC's get black/purple faces and certain textures turn bluey/purply/pinkish, normally a full 30 secs BEFORE it crashes, so at least they are giving you some warning ...

I know their are those that will say <insert nasally whining voice here> " MY game never crashes!" and "I've never had a single problem" blah, blah, blah ... But they seem to be in the minority.

Then just spam the F5 key (quicksave) ... hmmm ... about every 15 secs sounds about right, the game will still crash (can't play for more than about 20 mins without an exit to desktop. but usually a lot less) but at least you won't have lost much progress.

With the 1.5 patch, BGS built a special feature into the game at least ... It now stutters and lags, your characters and NPC's get black/purple faces and certain textures turn bluey/purply/pinkish, normally a full 30 secs BEFORE it crashes, so at least they are giving you some warning ...

I know their are those that will say <insert nasally whining voice here> " MY game never crashes!" and "I've never had a single problem" blah, blah, blah ... But they seem to be in the minority.

HA HA HA Cool post If they could make TES VI even more buggy it would be a MASTERPIECE.

For me it´s texture mods, if your graphic card has less than 1 GB VRAM it will crash.I have a 64 bits windows, 8 RAM, and a GTX 560 TI with 1 GB and still major HD texture mods cause my game to crash, if I remove them I can play with no crashes at all and with lots of non textures mods.I had those problems too when I had 32 bit windows, if I used HD texture mods they would turn black at some point, that´s because I only had 3.5 RAM. Edited by scot

Then just spam the F5 key (quicksave) ... hmmm ... about every 15 secs sounds about right,

lol, yea this game can get messed up fast, but texture packs shouldnt make it unstable at all, and 1GB vram should be fine. ive only got 726MB and run several texture packs without issue, at least at the start with zero mods completely vanilla it crashed every 20 seconds right upto finding Riverwood, then it was miraculously stable, and after that adding texture packs didnt harm anything, but a few occasions adding gameplay mods screwed something and only fix was to go back a few save points, guessing the save files get easily corrupted

Edited by nisen

My Skyrim has crashed three, maybe four times in the 250 hours I've put into it. You guys must have some really bad luck =/

Disclaimer: Two of the crashes occurred at ~5am after many hours of play time - I think of it as my computer telling me to go to bed.

The more texture mods you install, the more likely your memory usage goes up. I've got 4GB of RAM and my game is running smooth on 40-60 fps high quality.

I also edited the Skyrim.ini file by adding uGrids=7 and changed uExterior to 64 instead of 36. This never caused me any trouble, didn't even lose FPS.

I'm a proud owner of every Call of Duty, when I run Black Ops my fps will be maxed at 125 fps and it never EVER caused me any CTD's. As a matter of fact, not a single Call of Duty caused me any big trouble, sometimes you got some minor issues, but they were easy to fix.

But when I enter the realm of Skyim it gives me random CTD's that I have been trying to fix for... well.... since I bought the game. Sometimes I can play for 5 hours straight, and the other day Skyrim decides to piss me in the face and crashes every 15 minutes.

I've got some textures mods installed: SMIM, Skyrim HD 2K (lite version), Detailed Outskirts, Lush trees and Lush grass. Whether I got these mods installed or not, I still get CTD's. I've also increased my virtual memory and tweaked/overclocked my video card.

On very rare occasions I get blue/purple/black/yellow textures, and about 20 seconds later... BAM back to my desktop.

edit: My driver is updated, my sound settings are 24 bits studio-quality, I pretty much verify my game cache every day, disabled V-sync, reinstalling DirectX, closing unused background programs.... bla bla bla. I still get random CTD's that make no sense at all.

Edited by Systex

As a couple of others have pointed out, texture mods can definitely cause CTD's. If that's the case, it also is definitely not skyrim, it's your computer. That said, there are other possibilities. For some reason there are a few simple sound mods that crash my game when I start a new one but work fine otherwise. If you are having random crashes though, and not crashes that happen 100% of the time in a very specific location, then it is most likely that your computer can't handle the memory load.

(I too am among those who can play for many hours without a single crash, and I have many mods installed, and certainly the majority of the most popular. My computer is a very good one though with top end stuff. I think that says something.)