Dear Bethesda, This is What is what meant to look like

tomhughes

Yep, croc123, I'm fully aware of how big Australia is. I'm going by the necessary constraints which the existing geography we know about Tamriel places on the size of the continent, as well as the fact that Cyrodiil mysteriously changed from a tropical area to a temperate to sub-tropical area in the space of a few games.

The Niben valley is largely responsible for my estimate on the size of what Tamriel needs to be, and we can assume the high plateau of Skyrim is the reason for the alpine climate, there, and not it's latitude. Similarly, we can only assume that Leyawiin is sub-tropical because of its latitude. Unfortunately, that doesn't account for the nearly polar climate along the northern shore of Skyrim, but you can blame Bethesda for creating a "country" in Skyrim that is barely as large as any respectable American metropolis.

OK, just checking... Hobart in my opinion, does qualify as sub-tropical, so AUS it is, then... But, let's leave the outback relatively untouched, OK?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's actually about 12 square miles, but yeah, still unreasonable. We can blame the consoles for the small towns.

Is that the motto or something for PC gamers?

"When in doubt, blame the consoles!"

Sorry, i just keep seeing all this blame on consoles everywhere. I am both a PC and Console player, but i play Bethesda games on the PC.

Is that a mod?

I think its called sexy whiterun. could be wrong.

Is that the motto or something for PC gamers?

"When in doubt, blame the consoles!"

Sorry, i just keep seeing all this blame on consoles everywhere. I am both a PC and Console player, but i play Bethesda games on the PC.

You hear it so much because it's true. An Xbox has has a tri-core cpu at 3.2Ghz, 512mb of Vram on an old video card equal to about an 8800 in PC terms. In other words, old and completely out of date. The cpu is the strongest aspect, and it can't make up for the video card. It's a fact that the 360 and PS3 both can barely handle Skyrim, even with the visuals scaled down accordingly. Therefore it stands to reason that the smaller towns are a result of console limitations, since towns are the most resource-hungry parts of the game.

I have a PS3, and I gamed on it for a long time. Having said that, I'd be lying to say that the frames per second of about 7/13 in some areas of Dark Souls for the 360/PS3 respectively, and the massive stutter in Skyrim on both the 360 and PS3 are not a sign of the age of the consoles.

Edited by Rennn

An Xbox has has a tri-core cpu at 3.2Ghz, 512mb of Vram on an old video card equal to about an 8800 in PC terms.

Agh! Too much information for my tiny low IQ brain to handle! D:

But what you said after that makes sense. I own both a PS3 and a 360 (because of exclusives) so i can see where you are going with this, the consoles don't have much memory or something to be able to run certain games while the PC, it can because the options to customize it are limitless... right?

An Xbox has has a tri-core cpu at 3.2Ghz, 512mb of Vram on an old video card equal to about an 8800 in PC terms.

But what you said after that makes sense. I own both a PS3 and a 360 (because of exclusives) so i can see where you are going with this, the consoles don't have much memory or something to be able to run certain games while the PC, it can because the options to customize it are limitless... right?

Memory isn't the exact term, but yeah, pretty close. Bethesda obviously knew they had to make the graphics better than in Oblivion or people would be angry about that, but the current hardware in the consoles is the exact same as it was five years ago. As a result, the most appealing option is to make the most stressful parts of the game smaller and take things out.

How well the game is programmed has a noticeable effect as well, but the Creation Engine (it's used with Skyrim) is only slightly better than Oblivion's engine, so there wasn't a lot they could do to optimize it either once they decided to build that engine and not license a more efficient one like the CryEngine.

Edited by Rennn

It's not that PCs can't handle it, it's that the game engine can't handle it. Games such as The Witcher 2, Metro 2033, etc, have lots of on-screen NPCs without any issue. That is because the game engines that power them are capable of supporting it, whereas the Creation Engine (simply an upgraded Gamebryo) can not.

If this was true and the game engine couldn't handle the mod pictured above then the mod pictured above wouldn't work

Memory isn't the exact term, but yeah, pretty close. Bethesda obviously knew they had to make the graphics better than in Oblivion or people would be angry about that, but the current hardware in the consoles is the exact same as it was five years ago. As a result, the most appealing option is to make the most stressful parts of the game smaller and take things out.

How well the game is programmed has a noticeable effect as well, but the Creation Engine (it's used with Skyrim) is only slightly better than Oblivion's engine, so there wasn't a lot they could do to optimize it either.

Right... We'll, of course they had to make the graphics better than oblivion, this isn't 2008.

But some games i know of that have better graphics than skyrim run smooth on the consoles. I guess its different for the elder scrolls and fallout because they are such huge games, correct?