For people with WETriggerScript error

danny310

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who can't find the folder. For all windows it's a hidden folder. You must go to control panel, folder options, then check view hidden files and folders. This is the location of the plugin.txt in windows 7, not sure if it's any different with other OSes.

I can confirm the plugin.txt fix does work.

Thank you so much! This fixed my game. All my saves were safe as well. I can confirm this works (for now anyway, one never knows) and keeps all saves safe.

For people who can't find the folder being mentioned (For Windows 7): Hit the windows button, goto control panel and search 'folder' (without quotations), then click on 'Folder Options', then hit 'Show hidden files and folders', then hit the 'View' tab, than scroll down until you see the options 'Don't show hidden files and folders' and 'Show hidden files and folders'. Check 'Show hidden files and folders' and hit 'Ok' Then hit the windows button again, goto 'Users' then click on whatever you named the computer, then you will see 'AppData' the icon will probably be a foggy-folder. Cilck on 'AppData' then you will see 'Local'. Click it and find 'Skyrim' click that. then you will see either 'plugins' or 'plugins.txt' click on it. Now you will see the text page. Delete the top 'skyrim.exe' or 'skyrim.esm' or 'skyrim.esp' (I can't remeber exacltey what it was) or whatever it is.

Now hit 'File' and 'Save' then you can click the red 'X' and try Skyrim. The game should be stable again. If there isn't 2 'skyrim.exe' or 'skyrim.esp' or 'skyrim.esm' Post somewhere what to do, because this probably wasn't the source of the problems your having.

Repeat these steps each time you add or delete a mod.

Hope I helped :) Thanks again! Feels good to 'FUS-ROH-DAH" again :P

this is perfect but i cant find the file that your talking about where is appdata

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Skyrim

appdata is usually a hidden folder by default so you'll have to set windows to show hidden files and folder or just type out the location.

FINALLY,those people were ALL right,the issue is in the plugins.txt but that file is located within A HIDDEN FOLDER. Follow their instructions in order to view the AppData (hidden) folder . Thanks for the fix.

I was searching the web and finally came across a solution. Its not permanent but it works. In appdata/local/skyrim there is a file named plugins.txt. the problem for me was that there were 2 skyrim.esm listed in plugins.txt. All i did was delete one so that there is only one skyrim.esm. Every time i restart Boss or NMM another skyrim.esm would be added to plugins.txt. I made plugins.txt read only for now but is this a problem with Boss or NMM?

Thank you so much! I tried what you said and it worked!

It is Nexus Mod Manager that is using/adding to plugins.txt. So if you use NMM to launch SKSE or Skyrim, NMM will auto-update plugins.txt. Here's the sure-fire way around having NMM auto-update:

1. Once you have used BOSS and NMM (or just NMM) to order your mods, launch Skyrim (regular or SKSE).

2. If you get the WETrigger warning, exit out of Skyrim (odds are you'll be hung, so either CTRL-ALT_DEL and select Task Manager to close Skyrim that way, or ALT-TAB to your desktop and in the Task Bar, right click and select Close Window).

3. Open plugins.txt (in any text editor) and correct the duplicate skyrim.esm (by deleteing one of them) and the update.esm (by deleting that line*) entries.

4. Save the file and exit the text editor of your choice.

5. In the appdata/local/skyrim folder, right click on plugins.txt and select Properties.

6. In the General tab, check the Read Only option. Apply and then close the dialog box.

7. Start NMM, it will prompt you that the file is Read Only, click on the No button and TMM won't undo the Read Only status or update the file.

If you add mods, you will have to repeat these steps (select Yes when running NMM, then repeat the steps above). A pain, I know, but until Nexus fixes NMM, you're stuck with this when adding mods

* You may not need to delete this line; as long the update.esm is checked in NMM or the Launcher, it shouldn't matter if it is in the txt file, the game will load the plug-ins based on what is checked in the Launcher/NMM.

Once your load order is set, if you are using SKSE, just create a shortcut to skse_loader.exe (in your steam\steamapps\common\skyrim folder) and launch Skyrim with that. If you don't use SKSE, just launch the game normally (without going through Nexus Mod Manager).

(edit) Just a reminder: Once your load order is set and if you prefer starting Skyrim using Nexus Mod Manager, remember to click No when NMM prompts you for access to plugins.txt. Unless you are adding/removing mods, in which case, you'll have to re-do steps 1-7.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been dealing with this problem for quite a while.

The double Skyrim.esm entry in the plugin.txt is annoying and so far as I can tell there isn't a 'fix' just workarounds. I'm hoping that in a future NMM update this will get fixed but not holding my breath as this has been an issue for 6+ months now as evidenced by the early posts here.

Here's what I do:

1. Always open Skyrim using Steam. (if using SKSE use this mod: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/12923 )

2. Create a shortcut to your Desktop for the plugin.txt file (previous posters have already posted how to find it)

3. Before starting Skyrim after making any changes with BOSS (not sure if BOSS is to blame) or NMM check the desktop shortcut for double Syrim.esm entries. Fix, save then start Skyrim via Steam.

• 5 months later...

I was searching the web and finally came across a solution. Its not permanent but it works. In appdata/local/skyrim there is a file named plugins.txt. the problem for me was that there were 2 skyrim.esm listed in plugins.txt. All i did was delete one so that there is only one skyrim.esm. Every time i restart Boss or NMM another skyrim.esm would be added to plugins.txt. I made plugins.txt read only for now but is this a problem with Boss or NMM?

I love you so much right now. THANKS!!!!! :DDDDDD

why is it when i go to C:\users\your user name\AppData there is no appdata folder in there??

please help i have no idea where to find the plugin file..

It is a hidden folder - go into organise (top left - might be file), folder and search options, under view check show hidden files, folders and drives.

Edited by Cait833

• 3 weeks later...

I had same problem here. Reinstalled Skyrim, all mods deleted, reseted INI files, changed audio quality, updated GPU drivers... I still got CTD loading savegame or not starting new game... no matter what... I was sooo despairing.

It has been suspicious Skyrim behave same way on my desktop and laptop, so I knew it's some systematic problem, but still... I'd never say it can be caused by NMM... :/

This small and easy edit fixed everything and Skyrim runs like charm now, thank you very much, danny310. ;)

Edited by jaCUBE