checking for save game corruption?

shadowfx78

How can i see if my game saves are corrupted?

the reason why im wondering is my load times have increased quite a bit and was wondering why could this be one of the causes. I can start a new game just fine and it loads relatively quickly but if i go to load an old save it takes forever to load i have waited up to 45 minutes for the game to load on occasion.

Edited by shadowfx78

How large are your save games? None of mine are much over 9 MB, and I'm on my twelfth playthrough, with some of my characters over level 50.

It sounds like you're the victim of save game bloating, which is usually caused by badly-written mods and/or excessive use of the console command "placeatme", which shouldn't even be in the game-system because it has a long, documented history of causing this issue. The problem is that some inexperienced modders make extensive use of this script command, and you won't even realize this until your game goes belly up.

The use of the autosave feature has also been implicated in this problem at least as far back in the ES as Oblivion, and I'm not convinced that Bethesda has fixed it for Skyrim. Basically, never use an automatic save. When the game autosaves, and it looks like you might need to revert to it at some point, create a fresh, manual save and use that, instead. The problem is that overwritten saves in ES games can become buggy and bloated (so never overwrite any of your manual saves, either).

Go to your saves folder and check the size if it's 10-20mb range your probably ok, it depends somewhat on how many game hours on the save. When it starts to really lag your game down it will get 60-120mb or very rare cases up to 200mb or so. For reference my saves are 14mb on a 200+ hour save (running patch 1.4.21)

I recently cleaned out all my old saves and have a few new ones but even those wont load i don't know whats going on. I have reinstalled skyrim and all my mods several times but still having this problem. all of my current saves are less then 4k kb. I have the mod possessive corpse which is supposed to help with save game bloating. Edited by shadowfx78