Land's End Estate

windclan

I've just made a major change of plans. Realized that I was going a tiny bit (WAY!) overboard ideawise and that while I have a lot of patience for the CS and it's annoyances, I don't have quite that much. So I have cut the estate down to 5 buildings: the Warehouse, Tavern and Manor I've already built and the Museum and Companion Quarters that are still under construction.

Up to 52 mannequin spaces in Hall A now. I think this is going to work really well :)

Also figured out that ambient lighting can go above 100...and that 150 is PERFECT! Not having to fiddle with the lighting in the Museum is going to save me a literal ton of work.

Edited by windclan

Lighting can go up to 255. :) Having uniform ambient light tends to make things look rather flat. What might be better would be to have the ambient light on the dark side (I use 40 to 80 depending on the area) and then use light objects to light up various areas (looks like that's what you did in the first picture). :)

It is what I did in the first picture as well as everything else up to the Museum...I've always hated the lighting when it comes to creating display areas. I find it so annoying to have to move things (especially armor on mannequins!) in order to find the spot where it isn't glaring from the light or lost in the shadows.

It's a big museum though (still 4 unused doors in the Hall of Doors) might create a non-ambient lit exhibit hall, cater to those that prefer a more realistic look in their rooms. Then people can use the rooms they like and leave the rest empty. Probably be a little over 100 mannequins in Exhibit Hall A when I'm done so another room like that but with realistic lighting should be plenty for anyone that isn't as crazy about display and collecting as I am :D

Here's another trick - use fake candles and torches that cast no light. But use a few strategically placed light objects around the place to light up the areas that you want. This helps to keep framerates high as well.

Here's a tutorial that includes lots of pics that demonstrate the effects of light:

http://tesalliance.org/forums/index.php?/topic/1985-cs-basics-lesson-4/

:)