SKSE64 Plugin Help

I need to create a Papyrus script function that can pull a text string from an SKSE64 plugin (C++ library). As a starting point though I need to learn about the basics of making an SKSE64 plugin.

Unfortunately the SKSE team has not released a plugin sample with their SKSE64 source code (though there does appear to be some kind of sample included within the SKSE source code). I did find this GitHub wiki related to Skyrim LE plugin creation. Based on everything I've read the process for Skyrim SE plugin creation is similar to Skyrim LE but the file contents will be different. Also when looking at source code for SKSE64 plugins I can find (like Chesko's mods for instance) there is usually a lot of extra stuff that goes well beyond what I would need, and it is difficult for me to pick out what I DO need.

Where can I go to learn about making basic SKSE64 plugins? Or (even better) can anyone offer a Visual Studio *.sln template for creating an SKSE64 plugin and associated Papyrus script function? Thanks!