Archery in Oblivion

Sarissi

Probably in Morrowind and Skyrim as well. I noticed that NPCs get much better range than you do. For the player, Archery just plains SUCKS with vanilla bows and arrows. Bethesda certainly does not know a thing about archery. I used to teach archery. The range and speed of the arrows looks like it was fired from a 2 pound Draw Weight toy! Absolutely pathetic!!!<br><br>I got looking into the situation in the Construction Set and I found that by increasing the Range and Speed on the Bow, and Increasing the Speed of the Arrows, things improve dramatically! Right now, I am experimenting with a modded Elven Bow, since I prefer playing a Male High Elf, and modded Elven Arrows.<br><br>Current settings:<br><br>Bow: Range = 2.0000. Speed = 2.0000<br>Arrow: Speed = 3.0000 (correction)<br><br>At these settings, when you aim into the air, the arrow actually goes where you aim, instead of dropping to the ground practically at your feet!<br><br>On the Bow, Range should refer to how FAR the arrow will go, while Speed should refer to how FAST you can fire (Rate of Fire). The Speed of the Arrow should refer to haw fast the arrow travels down range.<br><br>Once I get the settings to a satisfactory point, I will post back with the resulting settings needed. I will likely do this in the Mod Talk section of the Oblivion forums and post a notice in this topic that I have the results need for properly modding your Bow and Arrows of choice in the game(s).<br><br>Thank your for your kind attention.<br><br>Additional information:<br><br>I now have this figured out!<br><br>The default Range on Bows is 0.0000 and the speed is 1.0000. Range governs how FAR the bow will shoot arrows. Speed governs how FAST you can fire the bow.<br><br>The default Speed on Arrows is 1.0000. This governs how FAST the arrow travels. Weight is encumbrance (feather), and I am making an assumption that this is expressed in Pounds (common USA measurement). The values on Bows is super high. The default weight for the Elven Bow is 16.0000 Pounds (Lbs.). Bows weigh 2 pounds at most. I had a fried who had a bow made of one solid piece of spring steel, with the grip wrapped in leather. It weighed no more than 2 pounds and had a draw weight of 50 pounds. Definitely a hunting or combat weapon! 45 pound draw weight is the minimum for hunting bows. Anything less than that is a target bow only.<br><br>I am going to post a topic titled "<b>Making Archery Worthy of Its Name</b>" in <b>Mod Talk</b> in the <b>Oblivion Forums</b>. See this for details on modding bows and arrows to make Archery (Marksmanship) a usable skill.<br> Edited by Sarissi

• 1 year later...

Personally I don't see why there isn't a mod that gives all bows different poundages so when you increase your strength you can pull a higher poundage bow also when you increase your marksman skill the arrow flies straighter instead of how it is now where it doesn't veer left, right, low or high on every shot depending on ANY stat increases.

Personally I don't see why there isn't a mod that gives all bows different poundages so when you increase your strength you can pull a higher poundage bow also when you increase your marksman skill the arrow flies straighter instead of how it is now where it doesn't veer left, right, low or high on every shot depending on ANY stat increases.

Because it's a little bit harder to do than just increasing the speed, angle and damage of bows/arrows.

Because it's a little bit harder to do than just increasing the speed, angle and damage of bows/arrows.

To put it in modders terms... The reason why NPCs are better archers is that they aim because of AI scripts which are much more precise than the player trying to line up polygons against a crosshair that isn't actually all that precise. Because they use AI scripting, hings like the angle of elevation to get the proper distance are factored automatically. The player can certainly increase the range of their arrows by aiming above the target, but is generally harder to do.

There is however a rather small maximum limit on the range of all arrows. Since it is a computer generated world, the range of arrows is limited first by a sort of lifetime variable which is intended to clean up any arrows shot from a loaded area into an unloaded area so that there isn't a sudden rain of clutter as soon as that area is loaded. This is why you can't, for example, shoot a few hundred arrows off a mountain toward some distant structure and fine the arrows stuck into the side of that structure once you get closer (no matter how fast or light your arrows are). This is also why shooting better arrows straight up will usually result in them just vanishing. Secondly, it is limited by the amount of area that is currently loaded and active. This area is much less noticeable in skyrim due to fewer vast open spaces and better Distant Landscape detail and longer fade distances, but in Oblivion, this can clearly be seen in the default game as being a sort of cutoff 100 meters or so infront of you where objects, NPCs, or structures pop in and out of existence. These both can be adjusted rather easily, but doing so can greatly increase the processor and videocard demands of the game.

It should be noted however that increasing speed of arrows in all games can lead to serious issues related to arrows simply not hitting anything any more. The reason being that if the arrow travels through the object in question before the game can register a hit, that hit will be completely ignored. Adjusting settings on the bow doesn't actually matter since it is the arrow itself that determines the base range by means of speed and weight.

• 2 weeks later...