Blue Screen when I fire up Skyrim

Jonty95

Sorry if this is too long :confused:

I got home, and fired up Skyrim. It was fine, but for some reason I was getting poor performance as a result of ENB, even though I was getting good performance with it about a couple of days prior. I decided to uninstall it and try and alternative,but test Skyrim without one first. However, it still had the white text on the upper left of the screen on the main menu, which said it was still activated. I fired up my latest save and was still getting very poor performance. Confused, I searched around and found out it was the ENB version of d3dx9.dll that was causing it. Removed that and put my other dll I had before the ENB install. Tried to start the game and I got a blue screen. I have been getting a lot of blue screens lately when launching executables, say a week. If I can remember correctly, it started when I tried to get a piece of software so I could use my 360 controller to play MW3. Got blue screen when I tried to launch the game with the software, so I uninstalled it. Tried to fire it up without it, then I got a blue screen for some reason even without the software. Then I updated Crysis 2, since it had not been updated for some time, along with some high resolution textures and DX11 support: all official. Tried to fire that up, then guess what? Blue screen. Moving back to Skyrim, before I realised it was the dll causing the ENB problem, I tried to change the line in skyrimprefs " sD3DDevice="ENB" " back to my video card " sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M ", then make the file read only. Tried to open up the launcher, then said it was going to automatically change my setting based on my hardware, or something like that. Clicked OK, then blue screen. By this time Skyrim was the only game left standing, until it sucumed to the blue screen when I realised what caused the ENB problem, and replaced the dll with the one I had previously before the ENB installation (which worked by the way) to fix it. As I said earlier, I got the blue screen when I started skyrim up.

I was hoping someone might have some idea around here. I don't know why I just seem to be getting these blue screens all of a sudden when all I did was replace a dll for skyrim, and just updating a game and trying to use some software to use my 360 controller for another. Considering that the blue screens started with the latter with this piece of software leads me to believe that something in that messed something up. Did a full system scan and I found a rootkit, although I might have had that long before. Although I shouldn't be getting a blue screen by updating a game and replacing a dll with one that was working beforehand. Again, sorry if I have made this long winded :unsure: I just wanted to explain the full nature of the situation and when it started. Would I be answering my own question when I say that I have to re install Skyrim? Something obviously has gone seriously wrong, and ever since I got that software for MW3 controller support. I shouldn't have had to do that anyway. It should have had controller support from the start, like nearly every modern PC game.

Anyway, if you got any ideas, I'll be more than appreciate hearing them :thumbsup: . To be honest, Skyrim is really the only game I care about. I couldn't care that much about MW3 and Crysis 2. Now it is like my whole games library has took a blue screen in the knee... :wallbash:

Edit: I have managed the sort out Crysis 2 (for now). Although Skyrim is my main concern still :yes: I'll try and fix MW3 in the meantime whilst I am trying to sort out this mess with Skyrim.

Edit 2: I HAVE GOT IT WORKING AGAIN. I used a d3x9_42.dll and it worked with no blue screens and no poor performance as I had before the blue screen fiasco. The 43 version did work prior to the blue screens, but not when I tried to launch the game with the 43 version when this madness started. Wow...what a mess that was :rolleyes: All there is left is MW3, which to be honest can wait, since I'll probably be on Skyrim for an additional 700 hours before I play any other game again :biggrin:

Edited by Jonty95

If your Skyrim has updated the patch since that d3dx9.dll was installed, you will need to update the d3dx9.dll to work with your updated Skyrim. It's the same with SKSE and some mods also.

If your Skyrim has updated the patch since that d3dx9.dll was installed, you will need to update the d3dx9.dll to work with your updated Skyrim. It's the same with SKSE and some mods also.

SKSE is updated in accordance with the version of Skyrim I have. 1.5.26 if I am not mistaken. How do I update the d3dx9.dll exactly? I probably am using an out of date dll. The way I got Crysis 2 to work again is though removing out of date dlls such as those concerning DX9 and 10, since I didn't need them anymore, and ensuring that the DX11 dll was the most up to date version, which worked for me in the end. Like you said, I probably do need to ensure the DX9 dll for Skyrim is an updated one first.

I tried this d3dx9.dll I had hanging around and put that in. It came up with an error to do with rendering as soon as I launched the exe. No blue screen though. Maybe I am getting somewhere?

Edited by Jonty95

Find whatever it came from (I think ENB's or some other performance improver) and DL an updated ver..

I already had the most up to date versions. I wanted to remove ENB, so I uninstalled it along with all the other lingering files such as the dll that came with it. What I need is a working and up to date dll more than likely.

This came as part of a mod or performance improver that was added by you.

EDIT: if it came with ENB just get an updated ver. if you want to run it, if not just remove it to somewhere safe in-case you need it later.

Edited by fms1

This came as part of a mod or performance improver that was added by you.

EDIT: if it came with ENB just get an updated ver. if you want to run it, if not just remove it to somewhere safe in-case you need it later.

I installed realistic lighting as an alternative to help smooth my gameplay as opposed to ENB. I have the files still just in case I sort out the wider issue: getting Skyrim to work. I actually in fact re installed ENB with the exact settings as last time when it was running and giving me acceptable frame rates a couple of days ago. When I went to play Skyrim again, expecting the same performance as last time, I started getting poor performance even with the exact same settings as last time.

Anyway, I'll just find a more up to date dll like you said earlier and see if that does it. Need to find one first though. What is the difference between d3dx9.dll and d3dx9_43.dll for example? 43 is what I used when it was working when everything was updated. But that just gives me a blue screen now.

Edit: Nevermind. I found a d3dx9_42.dll and that seems to have done the trick. Got Skyrim up and running without the poor performance problem prior to this blue screen business.

Edited by Jonty95

I would need to know exactly what it came from (d3dx9.dll and d3dx9_43.dll). If ENB some of the older ones don't work with patch 1.5.26. Also check your SkyrimPrefs sometimes it will change back after you type a change into it.

I would need to know exactly what it came from (d3dx9.dll and d3dx9_43.dll). If ENB some of the older ones don't work with patch 1.5.26. Also check your SkyrimPrefs sometimes it will change back after you type a change into it.

I became aware that it was changing back when I realised it was still saying it was activated. I figured it out soon enough like, so i removed the d3dx9.dll that came with it. ENB was working with my patch at one point, so the ENB is not out of date. I just removed the dll since it was keep reverting my sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M line to sD3DDevice="ENB". That's where I tried to put in a new dll, which was where the trouble with Skyrim started. The launcher had a problem before this however.

Anyway, I got Skyrim working again at least with a d3dx9_42 eventually. Works perfectly now. No blue screens, no poor performance thank god.

Edited by Jonty95