Crash on Hand to Hand

While my issue is undoubtedly mod related, I figured this would be the most applicable place to write it up. Anyway, l have recently been running into an issue where Oblivion crashes any time I "equip" my fists in hand to hand. I'm really not a hundred percent where the root of the problem is... but my best guess at the moment is the hand to hand animation file. Is there anyone who might be able to shed some light on this unfortunate issue?

Just to provide extra information, I do use BBB and have coronas skeleton installed.

EDIT: Not the cleanest of fixes, but I removed all hand to hand animation files from my _male folder which *fixed* the issue. However it still seems to me that perhaps only one or two of the files are bugged, which would mean I would only need to get rid of a couple of em (handtohandequip will be the first to go). Any suggestions?

Edited by kingtitan

Whose hand to hand animations were you using? I've been using fore's NoMaaM animations (with the exception of some other walk animations assigned through special anims). I'm wondering if perhaps you have more than one source for the hand to hand and they are conflicting.

As far as I know I am only using Fore's animations... I'm really not sure wherein the problem lies. However, I did just notice that Fore now has an OMOD format for the mod that wasn't available when I originally installed the mod. Should I invest in the OMOD version and keep my fingers crossed that fixes the issue? I mean, at base all it does is overwrite existing animation files anyway!

The files included with the OMOD version vs the manual install version are the same, so one doesn't offer any advantage over the other except in ease of installation. I like to pick and chose the BMF (breast movement factor) for different animations ... I'm not sure how much 'granularity' the OMOD installation script allows.

My main beef with OMOD installations is that it doesn't allow any easy way of predetermining what files a new mod will overwrite (also a problem if you follow the "Extract to your game's Data folder" method of manual install). I always extract to a folder outside the game's and examine file and folder structure before installing. I believe BAIN installs will warn you about overwrites but OMOD is last man wins in the overwrite war. If you've installed any mods using OMODs since you installed NoMaaM you'd need to do a file size and date comparison with what was installed vs what is in the extracted NoMaaM manual install folders to figure out if an overwrite has occurred (not an easy task considering the number of options that NoMaaM presents).

I use the older version 1.11 of Rivelle's HGEC body replacer OMOD. To change bodies you deactivate the OMOD and then reactivate. When I first was installing mods I installed the HGEC body and then later installed NoMaaM. Everything worked well until I changed bodies, and then I lost some of NoMaaM's animations. Rivelle includes some animation files with the OMOD, but back then there was no mention of this in the mod description. Re-installing NoMaaM fixed the issue. For the record, Rivelle's version 1.12 OMOD includes an option to install without the included animations ... handy if you want to use another animation.

No replacer mods actually overwrite any of the vanilla files, which are protected in the game's BSA files, so removing the mod added files will revert to vanilla automatically.

Edited by Striker879

You know, I've never actually thought about making my own custom mix of NoMaam animation! Thanks for the great idea Striker. That being said, I think I'll scrap the OMOD idea for a fresh (mixed) animation install. And I actually install just like you, I have a partition on my hard-drive dedicated to storing Oblivion resources. What I did before you even wrote about it was let the game revert to the BSA files for all hand to hand animation (until I get the time to come up with my own custom mix).

I'm wondering if your "Rivelle Issue" was similar to the root of my own problem, however I can't remember what OMOD could have installed its own animations... Regardless, I'll be reinstalling NoMaam entirely anyway so in the end it won't matter :)

Thanks for your ideas (as usual) Striker!

The latest iteration of 'Striker's Extremely Complicated Install Method' has me creating an 'Installed' folder inside the extracted download folder, with all the required folders, subfolders and files starting at Data. For installs like NoMaaM (i.e. mix and match) I'll even have a text file that itemizes my customization. The NoMaaM one doesn't absolutely need it, as fore changes his file timestamps to make it easy to tell the BMF files apart but I also use some of his optional files from older versions. If the install will result in any overwrites I'll also make note of them (as well as a similar note in the backup folder for the overwritten file). The 'Installed' folder acts as an analogue for your game's Oblivion folder, so my install method is always right click 'Data' and paste into 'Oblivion' no matter how the mod was originally packaged. I keep the 'Installed' folder as a handy reference for uninstallation later.

Nephenee13 would probably point out that what I do manually is no different than what BAIN installs do for you automatically, which is totally correct. The OMOD install method is getting pretty long in tooth and lacks essentials like warning about overwrites and keeping track of them for uninstallation time, things that BAIN takes care of. I'm just a dinosaur, hanging onto my dinosaur ways.