persistent crashes to desktop

CasperTheLich

i've been playing skyrim from day one. i've seen the worst of the ups & downs, bad patches, massive bugs etc. at this point skyrim seems to be completely bugged up for me, and i can't figure out what's causing it. for a while it seemed to be running fairly well... then when my second newest character was doing the battle for solitude, skyrim quit to desktop like every 3-5 min (i haven't had that issue for some time). now all my characters will crash after exiting fort amol (southwest eastmarch), several characters have found persistent crashes in different places, one can't go near that dragon mound north of karthwasten mine (can't recall the name), another is stuck in whiterun after finishing the diplomatic immunity quest (crashing when trying to exit through the main gate), i just can't figure it out. guess i'll post my load order. btw i'm using skyrim 1.5.26, and have current drivers for most if not all my hardware. one last thing, i've heard the last patch or last few patches broke the 4gb support for tesV.exe... does anyone know if that's true? if so it could explain quite a few things. (now that i think about it, is the loadorder bug with nmm & boss fixed at this point? or is messing with that stuff pointless?

Update.esm

JSwords.esm

ApachiiHair.esm

Craftable Thieves Guild Armor.esp

DaggerBowEnchantPotionFixes.esp

JoOPraetorian.esp

witchplate.esp

HentaisJamellaArmor.esp

HentaisTemplePlateArmor.esp

TrissArmorRetextured.esp

Craftable Ebony Mail and Blade.esp

Cowardly horses.esp

Cowardly Frost - install before quest.esp

Shadow Striping Fix.esp

CasRunedGoldAmulet.esp

R18Pn - Eisen Platte Armor.esp

Spells Scale with Skill.esp

FSS-Slight pause between lines.esp

Proudspire Crafting.esp

Divine Aegis.esp

Divine Aegis Sword.esp

MongolArmor.esp

MongolShield.esp

Craftable Dragon Priest Masks.esp

Mystic.esp

StandalonePack20.esp

private_singular_quivers.esp

Auto Unequip Arrows.esp

Northborn Fur Hoods.esp

Guild Duelist Armor.esp

Cloaks - No Imperial.esp

HentaiNightmareArmor.esp

HBetterBows.esp

1nivWICCloaks.esp

1nivWICSkyCloaksPatch-No Imp.esp

RobedSteelPlateArmor.esp

bobsarmory.esp

EinherjarArmor.esp

Omegared99-Compilation.esp

Omegared99-WeaponSets.esp

Omegared99-Compilation-NPC Plugin.esp

VagabondArmor.esp

warchiefarmor.esp

HedgeKnight.esp

BaratheonArmor.esp

Craftable Nightingale Armor.esp

R18Pn - Ritter Armor - Heavy.esp

R18Pn - Ritter Armor - Light.esp

VanguardArmor.esp

DaedricWOP.esp

Masters of Death.esp

Smithing Perks Overhaul - Balanced.esp

Weapons and Armor fixes.esp

Weapons and Armor fixes - Hacks.esp

Complete Crafting Overhaul.esp

RCRN Pure - Hybrid Shaders.esp

VampireOverhaul.esp

IMAGINATOR - Visual Control for Skyrim.esp

BardSoundsMalukah.esp

CombatMusicFix.esp

HousecarlWhiterun.esp

WARZONES - Civil Unrest.esp

StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp

WATER.esp

Chesko_Frostfall.esp

Werewolf Enhancer.esp

Werewolf Enhancer - Optional - Jump 15pct.esp

DeadlyDragons.esp

DeadlyDragonsArmory.esp

AV1Dragon_Lords.esp

Phenderix's Magic Evolved.esp

AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp

Crimson Tide - Blood.esp

The Dance of Death.esp

---edit typos

Edited by Invisible Man

So, I can't give you all the answers you need, but I can point you to a few places.

This thread discusses the 4gb patch and who needs it:Nexus thread link

I am finding BOSS to be working fine, it doesn't include every last mod, especially some armor mods I have to place myself. That may be the same for you since you have a lot of armor mods.

I do not have as many mods as you do (I thought 50 was a lot!) but I do have WATER. Any time water gets bumped from the absolute last loading space, I start getting weird crashes. Even if I'm nowhere near any water even a trough! Maybe you could try that, too?

You don't mention your graphics card, but I have noticed people with the latest ATI update have had to roll back because of crashes.

Sorry it's not working at the moment! I know how that feels, my system went haywire after 1.5, but I'm sure you'll figure it out!

man i hate the persistent crashes, i never had any till reciently, hadnt really explored much, and only found two, ones just outside Solitude but theres also several random ctd trying to explore the docks area; the others just near Riverwood. I can live with the one near Riverwood, but outside Solitudes game breaking, I cant travel out of there. The path leading out (where the horse and carrage is) has the persistent crash, trying to travel around it going down thru the docks/marshes causes random ctd at different spots, so the whole zones unexplorable. Im simply gonna restart the game without mods to try and explore Solitude before remodding, dragging my feet...

thanks for the replies. i didn't post hardware specs because i didn't think it was a hardware issue. i guess that was a tad naive. *sigh*

well here i go.

op system: windows 7 64bit home premium

cpu: intel 3gh quadcore processor

gpu: ati radeon hd 6850

ram: 6gb ddr3

psu: cooler max gx750

just replaced my gpu & powersupply. wasn't cheap. lol

my computer was down for about a month, just got it back up like a week ago. about 3 months before that twas down again. I was worried my computer might be reaching critical mass.

Hey, I have just today begun to experience crashes as well. In fact many if not all of my previous saves now get stuck on the loading screen. My new saves do load but i crash in RiverWood.

I have version 1.5.26. Also it cant be a hardware issue because none of my hardware has changed.

I use

Windows 7 64 bit

3.33 GHz

8gb DDR3 ram

Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 1GB

1 terabyte HDD with plenty of room

I only have 19 mods Water is not one of them.

Also just out of curiosity how do you change load order for mods.

unless i am mistaken the skyrim launcher allows you to reorder your mods, as does nmm (nexus mod manager), boss might as well (however i think you need to manually copy and paste the load order from the boss txt file to the plugin file), if you're having the launcher/nmm load order bug, you can edit your plugin.txt file by hand.

would be in "c:\users\user\appdata\local\skyrim" if you have a similar file structure as i have.

---edit

i think i've found a little fix for at least some of my crashes. before exiting to an exterior have your character do an animation, like sitting in a chair, etc. that seems to work. don't ask me why.

Edited by Invisible Man

My game was also fine until I started to have issues loading saves..... tried everything I could until I added this to my game exe target path:

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "TESV.exe" /affinity 5 "C:\Program Files...

I have a quad core and found out by playing for hours and loading saves that playing the game with only 2 cores enabled, does wonders for my game.

If you have a quad core give this a try.

Until 1 month ago I used to play with all cores enabled, since the issues started it only works with the 2 cores trick. Couldn't load Whiterun saves, not even exiting Breezehome, now it loads under 3 seconds!!!

Edited by Xotana

• 1 year later...

I have finally managed to enter Solitude but through the VERY HARD way. The way I did it was to use the TCL cheat, which makes the character to walk through walls, like noclipping and I can say that the problem is not Solitude, but the area surrounding it is the problem... it's a graphical bug or glitch I'd say it would be more fitting. For example, there was a huge hexagonal water form on the ground, missing buildings, no trees... nothing just the ground and lots of "melted" buildings. I have uploaded 2 screenshots with the map so that you can see the path i followed to avoid crashing again, and another 3 screenshots with the glitched area http://www51.zippysh...86131/file.html (fortunately, now I've discovered a second problem to this game: THE BAD SCREENSHOTS :tongue:). Just remember: if you wanna get into Solitude, use TCL cheat, climb up VERY HIGH and then just follow the path that I did. Sorry but i don't know any other solution since I've tried everything (deactivated mods, reinstalled mods, reinstalled game, used BOSS & TES5EDIT and the list goes on :tongue:). Hope this helps you in finding a way to deal with this problem, otherwise, use the same cheat for the other locations as well. As for the minor CTD's, use BOSS and TES5EDIT. They worked for me.