Fallout New Vegas crashing on startup

TCA166

Now that we have eliminated the most common causes of problems, we can focus on what might have been solely laid at the feet of the 1803 update. You may have used too restrictive a search phrase. I found several using only "failed to initialize renderer".

When launching the game, the game engine would check your video card details, and see what it is capable of supporting. After that, the game engine decides what things to initialize for it. If it fails, it means that the game can not read your video card properly. So it’s probably due to the graphics card driver problem.

With an older game, counter-intuitively the latest video driver is often the cause rather than the solution. This is because it takes time and effort to maintain "backwards compatibility" and testing against various games and programs. So vendors tend to stop testing against older titles. This can introduce problems where they didn't exist before.

So ... while it is common advice to say "update to the latest video drivers", when you get this sort of error it means you need to test against an older version of the video driver. Hence the apparently contradictory advice: don't update video drivers unless you expect them to fix a problem you are having. Read the docs on what they are supposed to fix.

OTOH, MS is changing the way some things work in order to deal with malware all the time. Every update is a mystery as to what older game it will break. In this case, with this error message, it seems that the game is not able to use the old "graphics" settings it had determined from your video card. Make sure your "Users" INI files are not "Read Only" (or rename them to make them "disappear", and run the game Laucher (the one you ran the very first time and probably haven't since) so it will detect your hardware and configure a new set of "Users" INI files. Fire up a "new" vanilla game (not a save game) and see how that goes. If that works, then you can go back and use your renamed older INI files as a guide to updating the new INI versions for compatibility with your "save games".

-Dubious-

• 2 weeks later...
Another user had a similar "render error" which just today turned out to be due to "2 Dx10 files in the folder" causing a conflict. I've asked for more detail or a link to the comment that help him, but from reading into that statement see if you have more than one DirectX DLL in the game folder from the ENB install. (Guessing perhaps it's left over from a previous installation.)

-Dubious-

I have also been experiencing the same issues after the same update and i have gone around asking about how to fix it on reddit. What i have found out so far is that it is an ENB problem where I think Enb files no longer work with the update. The fix to this issue so far is if you move the d3d9.ll to a new file or another place, this will make the game be able to start up but it will disappoint you since ENB will no longer work.