Using Other People's Works

So, I would keep in mind the intent of the mod you want to mod and, respect the intent of the original modder.

chuck

That kinda goes with my comment above yours. when they copied the cell you made and pasted it all over it nullified the original one you made. You cant have a new and unique location in 50 different spots.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<font face="arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif"><font size="2">http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_images/Dark/snapback.pngjet4571, on 18 May 2012 - 01:04 PM, said:

<br>That kinda goes with my comment above yours. when they copied the cell you made and pasted it all over it nullified the original one you made. You cant have a new and unique location in 50 different spots.<br>I did get what you were saying, I just wanted to tell my story because the tennis ball analogy implied, that it would not be stealing to directly copy someones work if someone only used mod X as a master.  I wanted to give a direct example of how offensive it could be to inappropriately use another authors mod

I generally am more than willing to share my assets if asked. I tend to put out modders resources to help the community and, go out of my way to help proper modders, gamers to fix issues, even if there issues are not even related to my mod. The only exceptions are some quest related models and, if the person rubs me wrong in some way. I advocate modding of my mods as long as the new mods hold true to my mods intent.

If someone liked a building I've built and, wanted to turn it into a player home thats fine. I've even helped some noobs to do just that but, I don't want to be made to feel like my efforts are being trivialized

If you tell people they need to install mod X because you used resources that it includes then you're not distributing other peoples work. For instance if you make an esp file that makes the armors from mod X sold at some store instead of going through a long dungeon to get them, then I don't think you're breaking any rules (as long as you don't include the other author's files, and made your own esp from scratch).

It's like a tennis racket. Not much use without a ball. Makers of tennisballs can't just forbid people from making rackets to hit the balls with, or forbid you from letting your dog chew on it.

The downside is, if the mod you require ever gets taken down, your mod will be useless.

WOW.... Thats so deep... Great example :)

Somewhat true but, there are always exceptions to this too! For example I once had someone say they were doing an add-on to my DCInteriors Project. They released there so called add-on then PMed me to let me know. Not minding that people mod my mods I said to myself well cool and, went to download and check the add-on out.

What was done was, my work was just rubber-stamped all over the capital waste by simply duplicating my cells countless times and, adding tones of loot to them. They didn't even bother to change my encounters or cluttering.

This is completely contrary to the intent of my mod because every interior I build is unique even if it uses the same basic layout as another interior.

They then had the nerve to ask the community for help in finding new locations to duplicate more of my interiors into. Asked for bug reports saying they have put a whopping Nine hours into this project . I was completely offended by the blatant theft of my efforts, They may have put there Nine hours of work on there add-on, where I had only put in a mere Nine Hundred hours into my mod.

I wouldn't have minded if it was adding my custom items to vendor loot lists or, building a custom player home that used my custom textures and, meshes but, what they did was wrong and, In my mind theft of my efforts, time. http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/verymad.gif The majority of interiors i build have a minimum of twelve hours of work designing, fleshing out the backstory and, creating new textures to make them feel special. If I had simply wanted to fill in all the buildings in the capital waste I would have just made a few interiors, then connected them to as many buildings as I could.

I was so pissed by this, I almost pulled my mods from the nexus!http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/mad.gif

So, I would keep in mind the intent of the mod you want to mod and, respect the intent of the original modder.

chuck

Well said.

Like I said, if they built their own esp from scratch, they wouldn't be doing anything wrong. The case you describe has them stealing the layouts from your plugin. They'd need permission for that. If they had made their own mod that added different interiors but relied upon your mod for providing some of the clutter (without including it in their mod) I don't think there would be anything for you to complain about. You still get people downloading your mod, maybe even more than before.

Intent is nice btw, but tastes differ. When I made the CB shop, I put several weeks into tweaking all the meshes, fixing materials, making textures, etc. A few days after I released it, someone posts a link in my thread to their "improved" version, took me 3 hours to download the file to see what they had done. Turned out they had pulled the entire mod through glossmax, turning my nicely fixed skins into plastic. I hated it and quickly tossed the file, but never made a big fuss over it. It's just one more option for people who are into that, the rest can just grab my version.

I've already said, I have no issues with others modding my mods but, the blatant theft, rehashing of my content is an issue! I want to make something special for myself and, for the mod users! if it's spammed all across the game it's no longer special!

Also, I've already said, I generally share my assets with anyone who wants to use them, with the few acceptions of quest related special items!

There not building there own esp from scratch! there stealing, abusing other mod authors! ( if they don't get permissions!) How is using my .esm to build there .esp from scratch? They have already used my work as a building block! Nothing is built from scratch accept adding my mod as a master! your argument is somewhat mute, the only thing your saying to me is that you don't respect the community and, other mod authors!

DCInteriors doesn't need few more downloads, it already has over 200,000 downloads! thats not what i'm looking for!

Edited by chucksteel

I think you misunderstood me. Sure it is an issue if they steal your work, but that's not what the OP was about. I was just clarifying that what you posted is not an exception to my example and what you described would be stealing someones work, unlike the example I provided.

If someone makes a toy car and says, batteries not included, buy them over there, they're not stealing. If however they take the batteries, put ten of them in a box with a nice sticker on it, they are stealing.

well I apologize if I misunderstood you!

Ive ben kicked in the nuts by unscrupulous modders! I'm a bit syndical now! i tend to accept the worst when people voice there opinions! I'm glad you understand how Offended i could be after my efforts were bastardized!

well I apologize if I misunderstood you!

Ive ben kicked in the nuts by unscrupulous modders! I'm a bit syndical now! i tend to accept the worst when people voice there opinions! I'm glad you understand how Offended i could be after my efforts were bastardized!

While your irritation is well founded, you aren't using some of those words right...

????? What? one typo! "Syndical" I meant "cynical"! Your really going to call me out on a typo? Classy! http://forums.nexusmods.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif For your information I'm a bit dyslexic, I work very hard to sound somewhat articulate. Sometimes I miss something small! If I were giving you a garble of text speak I would accept you being condescending but, one typo! Really! Edited by chucksteel