ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Skyrim - Discworld Mod Talk

Voivod333

Try not to get any hopes up because I have a hugely busy work schedule until the winter, but I figured as a way to get back in to modeling I'd play around with Skyrim. I'm tinkering with a Solstheim mod idea on the side, but being a huge fan of Terry Pratchett's work I thought I might take a stab at this. I'm going to play around with the Unseen University exterior as a modeling project - using the papercraft model as my inspiration. If anyone can find a site that has good quality scans of the entire Papercraft book, it would hugely assist, but as of now I'm working off of Google image search stuff. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a rough start, no textures or anything, but it's a prototype for the Tower of Art. Obviously not quite finished yet as there is a lot of structure on the very top that I need to add. I'm trying to give it a very crooked, scattered appearance as it is described in the books, with a mish-mash of cultures ranging from traditional European to Oriental - as the building has been repaired piecemeal throughout its history, it seems that different cultural fads would inspire it. A lot of the detail in the middle is not likely to be seen up close so I'm keeping it fairly low-poly, though it would be pretty easy to build high detail versions of the viewing platforms if the player wants to step out for a view of Ankh-Morpork.

I've got basic models for the Unseen University boat house and Modo's hut/shed as well, which are more traditional European. The boat house has some very basic materials thrown on as more a proof of concept than anything final.

It's a start - if anyone can post building pictures they think are good inspirations for the Ankh-Morpork style, I'd love to see 'em.

• 1 month later...

This is a rough start, no textures or anything, but it's a prototype for the Tower of Art. Obviously not quite finished yet as there is a lot of structure on the very top that I need to add. I'm trying to give it a very crooked, scattered appearance as it is described in the books, with a mish-mash of cultures ranging from traditional European to Oriental - as the building has been repaired piecemeal throughout its history, it seems that different cultural fads would inspire it. A lot of the detail in the middle is not likely to be seen up close so I'm keeping it fairly low-poly, though it would be pretty easy to build high detail versions of the viewing platforms if the player wants to step out for a view of Ankh-Morpork.

I've got basic models for the Unseen University boat house and Modo's hut/shed as well, which are more traditional European. The boat house has some very basic materials thrown on as more a proof of concept than anything final.

It's a start - if anyone can post building pictures they think are good inspirations for the Ankh-Morpork style, I'd love to see 'em.

Just curious if anyone is still out there?

I am still around. Haven't been doing anything Skyrim related since my wife and I have started playing World of Warcraft. Yes, yes, I know, World of Warcraft. Heck, I haven't even gotten Dawnguard yet and I was really looking forward to it. WoW is so addictive. I guess I should get back into Skyrim. Check out Dawnguard. See what new mod craziness has transpired since its release. Edited by Voivod333

• 2 weeks later...

I would really enjoy walking through Ankh Morpork and if that mod is actually pulled off, Pratchett himself would probably take look at it.

Here's a map of Ankh-Morpork: http://onlyhdwallpapers.com/thumbnail/pratchettterry_discworld_streets_of_ankh_morpork_mapp_eng_high_qualityfantasy_resolution_desktop_4244x4344_wallpaper-216946.jpg

The three movies "Hogfather", "Colour of Magic" and "Going Postal" show what Ankh-Morprok looks like. That means someone has to create half-timbered houses, stone houses and victorian mansions from scratch as Skyrim has no proper medieval buildings. Not to forget the unique buildings like UU, the Patrician's palace and the opera house.

It would be best to make a total conversion (SureAI, the creators of Nehrim now working on Enderal suceeded in creating a new esm and as far as I remember, they even created a documentation to help other modders achieve the same), so we have a clean game that can be further expanded (with the cabbage fields outside of Ankh-Morpork, of course).

The city itself probably has to be divided up into several cells or otherwise, there would be performance issues. They could be connected via invisible doors or like the cave/world transitions in Skyrim's caves and mines.

Excellent points. I myself have collected a wide variety of Discworld reference materials including multiple maps. I too look forward to a total conversion. Thank you for pointing out SureAI, I will definitely check out what kind of documentation they have. I believe this mod is possible. I just wish I had the time to get something rolling. Maybe on day.

• 1 month later...

Oh Sweet Discwold. Will be the Ank itself like the clear skyrim water or do you make it a bit more swampy coz in the Book it says always that the river is so dirty you could draw the line around a drowned corpse.

I love to have the luggage as companien.

Keep up the good work, looks great so far.