Character creation bug and seeing nothing but UI bug

mizredavni

Hi, I seem to be having some problems with oblivion, I just recently got it for pc and am experiencing some weird stuff.

Here's an image of all the mods I'm using on the Oblivion Mod Manager in case they might be the problem: http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/mizredavni/omm.png

First, character creation, all I can see is the menu's and that's it, everything else is black.

second, once I start up the game and am actually in game, all I see is black except for the UI, which I can see perfectly fine.

please help me asap! This is a great game and I really want to be playing it!

Edited by mizredavni

Best way to get started with Oblivion is to install the game but don't install any mods yet (and if you are running either Windows 7 or Vista don't install to C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) ... go with C:\Games\Oblivion or similar). Create a character and play through the tutorial dungeon. Near the end of the tutorial dungeon, when you can see the sewer exit in the distance make a save (using the console or the Esc menu not quicksave). This save will come in handy if you ever want to start a new character but don't want to go through the whole tutorial dungeon again. Next go through the final character gen menus and then exit the sewer. Make another save here (same way as before) and then go to the Imperial City Market District (preferably in the daytime when it's busy). This is to confirm that your vanilla game is running smoothly and to give you a visual baseline for how the game runs and looks. No need to make another save here ... if you want to have a save for future mod testing purposes then this would be a good spot (or just before you enter the IC).

Now you can start adding mods, one at a time and testing in between. You may think that this method will take longer to get your game 'modded up' but actually the opposite is true. Take a look through all the threads here and you'll see that adding a whole bunch of mods and then troubleshooting to get the game to run takes way longer unless you have a lot of previous experience.

If you managed to get off on the wrong foot and installed the game to C:\Program Files here's a link to Bben46's wiki article Oblivion reinstall procedure. Don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam install location if you use the Steam version of the game and don't skip the registry cleaning step ... it's important.