Why Ulfric was right to kill the High King

SubjectProphet

I don't know, your telling the story...if this is correct, then what your suggesting is there are those among the Stormcloak supporters who are hoping to meet Adolf.

Adolf never entered London (for example) and never tried to challenge Churchill with panzerfaust in his pocket.

Besides, when the armies of Wehrmacht sieged Moscow, Alolf wasn't in their first ranks.

Edited by landy8

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has it gotten to the point where people can't distinguish between fantasies...much lest between reality and one fantasy world?

Maybe that's why so many are drawn to the Empire and its unholy alliance with the AD--they're hoping to meet Arwen Evenstar.

http://www.thehcc.org/discus/clipart/crackup.gif

Ther's a mod with Arven's sword, so I guess JRRT fans can make Arven character themselves.

I don't know, your telling the story...if this is correct, then what your suggesting is there are those among the Stormcloak supporters who are hoping to meet Adolf.

Adolf never entered London (for example) and never tried to challenge Churchill with panzerfaust in his pocket.

Besides, when the armies of Wehrmacht sieged Moscow, Alolf wasn't in their first ranks.

I was referring to his comment...."....much less between reality and one fantasy world"

It is perfectly legitimate to draw comparisons between two fantasies that have themes dealing with the corrupting effects of power and the abuse of power. Or between a fantasy and the real world for that matter. It seems pretty ridiculous to take such a comparison as a sign that someone can't tell the two apart.

It is perfectly legitimate to draw comparisons between two fantasies that have themes dealing with the corrupting effects of power and the abuse of power. Or between a fantasy and the real world for that matter. It seems pretty ridiculous to take such a comparison as a sign that someone can't tell the two apart.

Not really. Fantasies are informed by speculation and interpretation...both highly subjective and dependent on biases and daydreams. There is no requirement that any of them be even close to the realm of possibility.

Skyrim is a fantasy, yes. And we are free to take it as written or make it uniquely our own. But when we enter a real life public arena and present our subjective analyses for others to comment upon, all we really have to draw upon...if we intend to create meaningful dialogue and communication...is real life. Because that's the only thing we all have in common.

Anything else and we fail to communicate--we might as well be speaking a made-up language that only the speaker knows.

As human beings we make judgments....about situations, about people. Sometimes they are snap judgments. Sometimes they turn out to be wrong. But at bottom it is a survival strategy. Unfortunately, one that only works when the decision is informed by past experience or certain knowledge.

Living so much in your head and your fantasies that the only comparison you (a generic "you") can find is from another fantasy, suggests that either you've lost touch with reality or you don't have enough experience from which to draw upon. In either case, such comparisons...and the judgments and decisions that follow...are automatically suspect.

Torygg's wishful thinking--that the implacable Thalmor can be appeased--is just as suspect as the player's fantasy that allying himself with (or even ignoring) such delusions is a trivial decision.

If nothing else, one suspects it says something about character...it almost has to.

Or, we're using the almighty power of comparison and using other concepts from other works of art to discuss certain aspects of the artwork in question, which is like, totally ridiculous. :yes:

FTFY

But hey, let's compare...I think Ulfric is more like Gandalf--impatient,even imperious, at times. unfathomable to some, and a bit above the fray, so to speak.

Torygg and the Empire are like Saruman--colluding with and appeasing Sauron.--hoping, believing (without good reason) that he can control the power of the Ring better than Gandalf who wants to see it destroyed--the same way Ulfric wants to see the alliance with the AD destroyed.

Edited by MacSuibhne

I was referring to his comment...."....much less between reality and one fantasy world"

I don't know how you get from there to Adolf (Hitler or Menjou?) but it certainly draws everyone's attention to the elephant in the room...

The more I read these various threads, the more convinced I am that they are actually "proxy dialogues."

I suspect that most of the people who vilify Ulfric would rather be speaking to someone else...in the real world. Out on the street chanting "scumbag" or "racism."

For any and every imagined slight.

Edited by MacSuibhne

Or, we're using the almighty power of comparison and using other concepts from other works of art to discuss certain aspects of the artwork in question, which is like, totally ridiculous. :yes:

FTFY

But hey, let's compare...I think Ulfric is more like Gandalf--impatient,even imperious, at times. unfathomable to some, and a bit above the fray, so to speak.

Torygg and the Empire are like Saruman--colluding with and appeasing Sauron.--hoping, believing (without good reason) that he can control the power of the Ring better than Gandalf who wants to see it destroyed--the same way Ulfric wants to see the alliance with the AD destroyed.

Rediculous? Have you like, never been in an discussion like this before? I mean, what you're saying is like saying that I can't talk about other movies when discussing the merits of a single movie. Its rather ridiculous on your part.

But indeed, that comparison is fair. Though I don't remember where it was ever said that Torygg was for the Dominion being in the Empire's business.