Barbas the dog

StanIsTheLaw

What happens to Barbas if you tell him to stop following before you complete both parts of his quest?

After the first part, I got sick of him barking so I told him to stop following and he ran off. Now I have the axe, what happens if I return it? Will the quest end? Or do I go look for him?

Thanks.

Read this

I think what happens if you get him to stop following you is he returns to Haemar's Rest and waits for you there. And also when you return the axe, you are given a choice, (I won't spoil it) after that, Barbas will stop following you.

Edited by 62firelight

@StanIsTheLaw, yeah i did the same thing, instructed Barbas i would meet up with him later, then went to Rimerock Burrow and got the Rueful Axe.

Found and joined up with Barbas somewhere near Falkreath, might have been a map marker for him

(guess you can use Barbas RefID 00052535 if you need to use console moveto).

Finally we travelled together to deliver the axe to Clavicus Vile at Haemar's Shame and finish the quest 'A Daedra's Best Friend'.

For quest reasons you'll want to have Barbas with you when you deliver the axe to Daedric Prince Clavicus Vile..

You don't actually need to follow him. After you talk to him, he'll run off towards Haemar's Shame all by himself and you can go do other things while he travels to the shrine. Then just go to the cave (fast travel or come from Ivarstead if Helgen makes you CTD), clear it, and you'll find him at the shrine fighting the last couple of bad guys.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Barbas and a Follower now for a long time, but then i realized Barbas is Missing, i went to the Shrine and he's not there, i went to get the Axe and returned the Shrine, then told Clavikas to take the Axe and the Dog witch Barbas all of a sudden returned in Statue Mode, then i went to Markarth and bought a Dog.

The Question is, am i safe or is the Game Bugged now where i must Reload an Earlier Save and make sure Barbas is with me.

If Clavicus gave you his mask as a reward, then you are all done with the quest and everything is fine. If you don't kill Barbas, he is supposed to become part of the statue at the end of the quest because Clavicus takes him back.