Question regarding pack-type mod

Omny

Say you find a weapons pack mod that has maybe two or three weapons you want and a bunch of other weapons you don't really care for. Is it possible to edit a mod so you can get rid of the unwanted weapons and keep the ones you want? I imagine it is possible, but I have no idea how to do it.

Can anyone tell me how? I'd like to do this for a couple mod packs I have. I'm not planning on posting them as my own, of course, this is purely for my own personal benefit.

Bear in mind I have never modded before and my knowledge of modding is rudimentary at best, so please be sure to go into details on how to do it.

Well yes that's the obvious answer, but I'd rather not have them taking up space on my hard drive. I'd rather have good weapons than more weapons.

Okay, I'll try. First you need GECK. Get it from HERE

Extract it's contents into your game folder. The default path for 32bit system is "C:\Program files\Steam\Steammaps\Common\Fallout New Vegas\" and for 64bit systems is "C:\Program files (x86)\Steam\Steammaps\Common\Fallout New Vegas\"

I don't know what weapon pack you want to modify, so to play safe, you better download NVSE from HERE

Extract its contents (one exe and four dll files, you don't need "src" folder or the any of the readmes) into your game folder. Take note that both "GECK.exe" and "nvse_loader.exe" must be in game folder where "FalloutNV.exe" is.

Now right click on "nvse_loader" go to "Send to" --> "Desktop (create shortcut)". Right click on this newly created shortcut and click on "properties", in "Target Filed", you should see something like this:

"C:\Program files\Steam\Steammaps\Common\Fallout New Vegas\nvse_loader.exe"

Add " -editor" without quotes at the end of the field. It should be like this (your game path may be different):

"C:\Program files\Steam\Steammaps\Common\Fallout New Vegas\nvse_loader.exe" -editor

Click on "OK". Now double-click on this shortcut, GECK will rare its ugly head. Now before going into details, you should know what kinda file you want to modify, if the mod is a single ESP file, then there is no problem, if it's an ESM file, then you need to do this

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

SKIP this if the mod is a single ESP file:

Close geck, now go to "C:\Users\YOUR_USER_NAME\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV"

There should be a file there named "GECKCustom.ini", right click on it and go to "properties", if the "Read-only" check box is ticked, untick it and click on "OK", now open it with Notepad, then find this line:

bAllowMultipleMasterLoads=0

and change the "0" to "1".

Click one "file" --> "Save", then close Notepad.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Now, before doing anything, backup the files you want to modify, ESM or ESP, doesn't matter, backup files that comes with the mod.

Open GECK (if it's not open, if you have skipped the last part, it should be still open.) Go to "File" --> "Data.." a list of ESMs and ESPs in data folder of the game will appear, now if the mod file is a single ESM file, double click on it and then click on "OK", but if it's a single ESP file, after double clicking on it, make sure to click on "Set As Active File" then click on "OK"

Wait until GECK loads the files (it may take a few minutes, depending on your hardware. Don't worry if it shows a "NOT RESPONDING" message, just wait) When GECK finished loading the files, go to "Object window" on the left side of "Object Window" click on the plus (+) sign next to "Items" and then highlight "Weapon", now you should be able to see a full list of all weapons on the right side of the screen, click on "NAME" column to sort them by their name, now find the weapon you want to remove from the game. When you find it, right click on it and click on "Use Info", a small window named "Use Report" will appear showing you a list of "list", "Containers", "people" and "Cells" that uses/have that particular weapon, now you should double click on every one of them and delete the weapon record in them. But it's a little complicated, so here some hints:

USED BY OBJECT Section:

If the type is "NPC_" (Non-Player Character), double click it, a new window will be opened showing the record of that specific NPC who is having the weapon in his inventory, you must go to "inventory" tab of the newly opened window and delete the weapon. DON'T delete other things.

If the type is "CONT" (Container), double click it, a new window will be opened showing the contents of that specific container which has the weapon in it, you must delete the weapon from the inventory. DON'T delete other things.

If the type is "LVLI" (Leveled List), double click it, a new window will be opened showing the list that has the weapon on it, delete all records of the weapons. DON'T delete other things.

If the type is "SCPT" (Script), then you are screwed, since It could be a simple script or a complex one and I don't know s*** about scripts, so you are on your own. My advice, don't modify it, let it be.

If the type is "FLST" (Form List, I guess), then you can ignore it, as far as I know they are not for the purpose of putting the weapon in game.

USED IN THESE CELLS Section:

There are two types here "WastelanNV" and "Interior", regardless of the type, you have to double click on every one of them, then go to "Cell View" window and delete the particular weapon from the right section of that window.

Now for saving your changes, if the mod was a single ESP, you just need to press "Ctrl+S" once in a while (okay, more that once in a while, since GECK crashes and it crashes often) to save the changes, but it the mod was an ESM, you have to save your changes as an ESP file, for saving it, press "Ctrl+S", a window will appear allowing you to name your ESP, name it something related to your changes, then save it, from now on you can just press "Ctrl+S" and your further changes will be saved into the newly created ESP.

DONE. PHEW :wacko:

EDIT REASON: Correcting some spelling and grammatical errors.

Edited by NOESM