Custom Armor ends up twisted and malformed.

Danneyo

Hey! So, i'm working on a few armor modifications and mashups. I imported Boone's sniper gear into Blender 2.47b, edited it and set the bone weights for new pieces in 2.7, then exported it through 2.47b. After some tweaking in Nifskope, I got everything to appear in the game with the right texture and everything. The only problem is that the model is contorted is some weird ways:

xHSKTu1.jpg?1

I can't really find any information about this. I would think that it was an issue with the bones, but I re-checked everything and they all look OK to me. I tried comparing it to another armor I got working, but I couldn't spot anything different.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to use 2.49 for the whole thing (or older, I think, like 2.47). You can probably still save this by opening this NIF in an older Blender (again, most of us use 2.49, far as I know), unparenting the skeleton and deleting it, importing a vanilla armour, deleting and unparenting that one so that just the skeleton remains, and then parenting the remaining skeleton and your custom armour. It's all done by vertex groups, so it should work out fine.

And from now on, don't use a newer Blender for any part of this procedure.

You need to use 2.49 for the whole thing (or older, I think, like 2.47). You can probably still save this by opening this NIF in an older Blender (again, most of us use 2.49, far as I know), unparenting the skeleton and deleting it, importing a vanilla armour, deleting and unparenting that one so that just the skeleton remains, and then parenting the remaining skeleton and your custom armour. It's all done by vertex groups, so it should work out fine.

And from now on, don't use a newer Blender for any part of this procedure.

That seemed to fix the issue, although my bone weights still need tweaking.

I'm not sure if i'll be able to do everything in 2.49b. I've been using 2.7 for years, and jumping back to a later version for modeling work is a pretty big leap. Most things seem to transfer through legacy saves decently, so I'll probably be able to make do.

I know what you mean, and some of my favourite features are missing from 2.49, but in my opinion, it's just not worth the hassle switching between versions and not knowing what will be preserved. I was using the legacy save method, but as I got more comfortable with the older version I was using to tweak things, I found it faster just to do my New Vegas work in that version.

I would look at these two Blender 2.49b packages if you want to try something later than 2.47 that works:

http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Getting_started_creating_mods_using_GECK#Refs:_Image_Tools

I personally use the portable one.

Think I've read 2.56 works as well, but I've never tried.

If I get this right, 2.47 can open 2.7 files.

Then how about smash everything in 2.7, save the blender file, open the saved file in 2.47, import the skeleton.nif and export the armor?