Tanking a Ferox

samroski

I have tried a few set ups for tanking the Ferox. Would like some feedback on which set up is preferable and how to improve.

Basic Set Up: I used 5 shield extenders to get the shields up to 18k and 4 shield power relay IIs- bringing the shield recharge rate down to about 380 sec.

The variations I can use with this set up are:

1. Use 4 shield extenders, and a shield recharger. The question here is whether it is better to have 18k shields and 380 sec recharge time, or have 15k shields and a 300 sec recharge time?

2. I also tried 4 shield extenders and a microwarp drive- which let me zoom out of trouble as soon as the shields broke.

3. How about trying 4 shield extenders and a large shield booster? This would let me passive tank till things get bad and then use the booster to get shields back up- nice combo of active and passive. As I use missiles, and thus no cap is used- this may be useful- but I have not tested it.

Abramul found a great place called TVINK (Metropolis), which is ideal to test these set ups- apparently this is some disputed territory with lots of (?anti) narcotic reds/pirates (including battleships) there ALL the time.

I would also appreciate any suggestions for additional hardware/modules that can be used to improve my set up.

An update

I LOVE the Ferox. I tried the Drake- and I also like it- though I think they could have improved the looks tremendously with minor modifications. I will probably end up owning a Drake- as it has more higher slots. But the Ferox has GREAT powergrid. You can install anything you want and it will take it. Fitting a Drake was so much tougher. The Drake no doubt ends up being a deadlier ship- but Ferox is more fun- you can fit what you want and then fit a microwarp drive as well. So I sold the Drake and bought the Ferox back and had great fun fitting and using it.

Unfortunately due to the need to try battleships- I have sold all my battlecruisers.

Edit:

The tanking setup/philosophy for Calderi Battlecruisers I was happy with using in Tvink (0.5) was:

Both the Ferox and Drake have 4 low slots. I fitted these with 4 x shield power relay II.

In the mid slots I put in 4 to 6 large shield extender IIs. You could consider fitting a shield recharger in the mid slots especially in the Drake, as it has a lower power grid. This got the shields up to 16-22k hp, and a shield recharge time of around 330 s in the Ferox and 300 s in the Drake.

Note that the shield power relays drastically increase the capacitor recharge time. This is okay with using missiles- which use no cap. The use of capacitor dependent equipment like shield boosters, MWDs, smartbombs etc. thus becomes limited. Still you have the option of fitting all these for occasional use. 10MN Afterburners do not do much to these ships, though a 10MN mwd gets my speed nearly up to 1000m/s.

Also note that this set up is not possible for low security space, as at least one low slot will be needed for a warp core stabilizer.

Still plodding along on the learning skills- and there is a long list of skills waiting to be learned, and gunnery skills are not even on this list (though I DO want to train them. Had a chat with this fellow in Tvink who was using guns to great effect. He convinced me to try them).

I had not noticed the bonuses for the ships. Further reason to own a Drake and not a Ferox :(

• 2 years later...