Create world map?

Froschkerl

Ya I would like to know how to do this also since I will need to be doing it shortly too.

But am guessing you need to work with one of the texture editor programs , like Blender or Gimp , I think ?

And you take all those .dds files that were made when you created the local maps

( found in "Data/Textures/Maps/ Your Mod Name /... and stitch them together so to speak making 1 .dds file, if that is possible in one of those tools. And shrink it down of course. But if your world space is pretty big , say 20/20 plus. You may want , or have to do it in sections , then later combine those sections into 1 file.

Then drop it back in the loose folders , and navigate from within the geck on the world space window of your world space. And select the new .dds file for map image , setting the usable dimensions , which is sort of like cropping a photo. Then I guess you can further fine tune the relationship to the actual world with the upper left and lower right.

However , I would think you would want to make 2 different local map generations. One for the actual local maps that show things like doors or whatever will show on a local map. And then change those to not show on local map , for things you don't want to show up in the world map.

IDK , just a thought.

Here is hoping some one else with more info on it will stop by and comment :wink:

Add edit : I had another thought that may be easier. Just capture screen shots of the 5x5 grid of cells that will show in the render window at one time. Then stitch those together and convert into a .dds , thought it worth a mention ^shrug^

But that is showing as a JPEG ,,, what does it look like as a .dds ?

Anyways , did you see my add edit ... about screen capture from within geck of the render window when viewing the world space ? Should be a way to capture the active window only , just google it.

But set the render window up by hitting "B" to turn on cell borders. Then zoom out to see the whole 5x5. Then resize and fine tune zoom the render window to fit it exactly.

Also FYI incase ... you can turn off what shows there , like for example FX markers that you wouldn't want to show on the map. Found under "View" of the header drop down. But I thought there was other means , like hotkeys.

Have you seen the mod "Ptolemy Maps for New Vegas"? "Ptolemy", being purpose-built for games like The Elder Scrolls, not only came with the [Morrowind] map but served as a tool for creating game maps from bitmap images. It included a simple but robust suite of tools for creating and organizing locations based on their type, faction, importance, etc. It was used to create the FNV maps in that mod.

In addition, there is this wiki article on "Oblivion custom in-game map". As the same game engine is used for both Oblivion and FNV, it should work.

This is a topic we are lacking in the wiki "Getting started creating mods using GECK" article, so I would appreciate any feedback or lessons learned.

-Dubious-

• 1 year later...