Open World Games

unarmedtoe

lol i have Sacred 2 for PS3. i gotta say it was quite enjoyable. i never even got very far in it, but i still sunk a generous amount of hours into it. deff worth buying imo, esp since im pretty sure its extremely cheap!

kinda wanna play it again. too bad you cant get it off Steam, or id buy it right now.....even though i have it right there for PS3..... :psyduck:

Edited by hoofhearted4

• 1 month later...

Red Faction; Guerilla. NOT Red Faction; Armageddon. Guerilla is an open-world third person shooter with a heavy emphasis on blowing things up. It doesn't have a good story, or character interaction. What it does have, however, are many, many realistically destructable vehicles and buildings. You play as a rebel who fights to kick an evil corporation off of mars. . .and by fight, I mean you blow a lot of things up and drive a lot of vehicles (and the occasional tank or mech) through walls.

Get it if you want to cause lots of carnage. Skip it if you want something more than blowing a ton of things up.

I liked Sacred 2 for the PS3, but I've heard that it can have problems with newer versions of PhysX. That's just a heads-up to anyone who buys it.

Also, don't count on Steam ever getting more keys for the game. The company that produced the keys went out of business, so you pretty much have to buy a physcial copy.

Edited by Rennn

I liked Sacred 2 for the PS3, but I've heard that it can have problems with newer versions of PhysX. That's just a heads-up to anyone who buys it.

Renn whats your PSN name? (you can PM me if you dont want it public) just dawned on me you have a PS3 and similar games as me. would love to play with you sometime! :D

Other than my heavily modded Oblivion, my personal favourite open-world game, would be Gothic 3 (Enhanced Version), personally I think it looks stunning, the world is pretty large and the gameplay is really enjoyable. The only downside, is that it is a german game, and the default control system is somewhat different than your standard control system.

Other than my heavily modded Oblivion, my personal favourite open-world game, would be Gothic 3 (Enhanced Version), personally I think it looks stunning, the world is pretty large and the gameplay is really enjoyable. The only downside, is that it is a german game, and the default control system is somewhat different than your standard control system.

Renn whats your PSN name? (you can PM me if you dont want it public) just dawned on me you have a PS3 and similar games as me. would love to play with you sometime! :D

I don't really play anymore. :(

My plasma screen tv was failing, so instead of buying a new one I took that chance to go to PC gaming for the mods. I still have the PS3, games, and the peripherals, but I don't have anything to play it on.

Edited by Rennn

If you want open world games, look no further than Evochron Mercenary. It's got the entirety of the galaxy to explore; doesn't get much more open than that! :P

All of the Evochron games are massive; I've spent many hours playing, only to find out that I'm still in the same quadrant of the galaxy - there's just so much to do.

Oh, and did I mention that it's based on Newtonian physics? :geek:

Just Cause 2 is open-world? The first few missions make it look like a mission-based game, but with a sandbox environment.

Far Cry 1/2 seem very cheap on steam. How are they graphically?

Just Cause 2 is pretty much a mission-based sandbox. I didn't care for it myself though.

If you have a PS3/360, I'd suggest Red Dead Redemption and Prototype 2. Definitely two of my favorite open-world games.

• 1 month later...

Let's see what has not been discussed here:

(my openness scores come from TVTropes's definition of sandboxes. The authoritative source as always.)

Sandbox RPGs:

The Saints Row series (which has been getting better than GTA in the "fun" category)

Modability score: 5/10 (no official editor, but uses a XML language. New meshes are at the moment not possible though.)

Openness: 6/6

Prototype. Yea. Haven't played the second one.

Modability score: 3/10 (texture replacements?)

Openness: 5/6

Space games:

Freelancer (nothing out there is quite like it. Evochron maybe?)

Modability score: 7/10. Google "discovery freelancer"

Openness: 5/6

The X series games. Modability up the wazoo. EVERYTHING in the game (including basic attack/trade commands) is script based. 300-page scripting handbook, straight from the devs. Editors out there (provided links are still working) for everything imaginable.

Modability score: 9/10. Just as moddable if not more than TES.

Openness: 6/6

(unfortunately I could never get into Evochron. Whether it's the ultra-realism or 90s interface, I don't know. Great game though).

Action RPGs:

Torchlight (need I say more?)

Modability score: 7/10. TorchED.

Openness: 4/6

Titan Quest (current playing this after being disappointed with Diablo 3)

Modability score: 6/10. Many official tools, and most everything is figured out by now. Applying multiple mods can be a pain though.

Openness: 4/6

Simulation:

Simcity 4. Don't bother with Cities XL (anything).

Modability: 8/10. Most comprehensive transportation system of any computer game (short of real life) courtesy of Network Addon Mod. Also, CAM.

Openness: 6/6. The very definition of sandbox (you start with freaking sand everywhere).

The Sims. (really? you serious?)

Modability: 8/10. Let's just say that it's very difficult to learn HOW to mod for this (prepare to be quite familiar with visual c++), but google "Awesomemod", "Nraas" or visit modthesims.info to see just what people have come up with.

Openness: 6/6.

---

Oh yea, all these games (except for Prototype) I have tried to mod in (however trivially), and my modding experience started back with Morrowind. So yea, that goes a long way.

Edited by jimhsu