ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Unable to reach Riften

SalesKital

I am unable to reach the northern gate of Riften, following the road I am able to reach the south one, but the guards won't let me in and as I'm trying to play a good character I can't just kill them for the key. I always crash when I try to go around to the north gate. Here is my list of active mods, and their loadorder, the list was copied from Wrye Smash.

Active Mod Files:

• 00 Skyrim.esm

• 01 Update.esm

• 02 AIKhajiitCompanions.esm

• 03 Arrowsmith.esp

• 04 Realistic Lighting.esp

• 05 invulnerablestandardhorses.esp

• 06 lighterdragonscalesandbones.esp

• 07 richmerchants.esp

• 08 soma's archery overhaul (sao).esp

• 09 walk.esp

• 0A AIKhajiitCompanions.esp

• 0B AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp

• 0C Beautiful Whiterun.esp

• 0D BetterNightEye.esp

• 0E dovahkiinrelax.esp

• 0F EquivalentExchange.esp

• 10 VanillaRaces - Prepatched - English.esp

• 11 Get More Ingots 3 ingots.esp

• 12 Killmove +.esp

• 13 LayerBikini.esp

• 14 LevelersTower.esp

• 15 mmkhajiithair11.esp

• 16 Lore Friendly - Dwemer Names.esp

• 17 More Craftables.esp

• 18 Convertible Azura's Star.esp

• 19 No Helmets Required.esp

• 1A No Shout Time.esp

• 1B Overpower.esp

• 1C Portal Companion Cube Lexicon.esp

• 1D skyradio.esp

• 1E The Asteria - Dwemer Airship.esp

• 1F WinterholdDestruction.esp

• 20 ValsCraftingMeltdownAlpha.esp

• 21 StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp

• 22 Portalfix.esp

• 23 VariousGuardReplacer.esp

• 24 Prisoner Rags Replacement.esp

• 25 Guild Duelist Armor.esp

• 26 AsharaPartyOutfit.esp

• 27 AsharaWeddingOutfit.esp

• 28 WATER - Get Wet.esp

• 29 WATER.esp

• 2A dnihome.esp

• 2B portal2mod.esp

• 2C marriagemod - alpha v3.esp

• 2D lovecraftbooks.esp

• 2E unlimitedbookshelves.esp

• 2F decoder.esp

• 30 perksbymatope.esp

• 31 Skyrim Improved Magic System - No Race Spell Removal.esp

Edited by SalesKital

If it's the gameplay, then make sure it's daytime because they seem to lock up at night XD

And also, the guards are all crooks so you will encounter one and they will try and get you to pay them to get in. If you don't want to, persuade them or intimidate them. So maybe wait around for this guard to show up?

If it is definately nothing to do with the gameplay then maybe try uninstalling your mods in sections to see if one of them is causing the problem.

I had this with Oblivion and uninstalled them one by one until I found the one causing the problem >.<

Hope this helped :)

If it's the gameplay, then make sure it's daytime because they seem to lock up at night XD

And also, the guards are all crooks so you will encounter one and they will try and get you to pay them to get in. If you don't want to, persuade them or intimidate them. So maybe wait around for this guard to show up?

If it is definately nothing to do with the gameplay then maybe try uninstalling your mods in sections to see if one of them is causing the problem.

I had this with Oblivion and uninstalled them one by one until I found the one causing the problem >.<

Hope this helped :)

I crash whenever I try to reach the north gate.

Well then I would definately try uninstalling your mods in sections to see if any of them are cauing any problems. If the problem still occurs with no mods installed then maybe save your savegames and try reinstalling the game. Also, check you have all of the Bethesda updates, they usually patch anything like this :)

Well then I would definately try uninstalling your mods in sections to see if any of them are cauing any problems. If the problem still occurs with no mods installed then maybe save your savegames and try reinstalling the game. Also, check you have all of the Bethesda updates, they usually patch anything like this :)

it's steam and updates are turned on, so I'm sure that isn't the problem. got a suggestion of what mods to try first?

I would try first any mods that change gameplay... Eg, your Archery Overhaul rather than mods that add items. Things that would alter any scripting in the game.

Also, have you got the "Cornered Rat" quest from the Thieves Guild line? I understand you want to play a good character but you need this for the main storyline. This quest will sometimes trigger the guard to come and therefore allow you to enter Riften. If this doesn't work then you will definately know that it's something not related to gameplay.

I would try first any mods that change gameplay... Eg, your Archery Overhaul rather than mods that add items. Things that would alter any scripting in the game.

Also, have you got the "Cornered Rat" quest from the Thieves Guild line? I understand you want to play a good character but you need this for the main storyline. This quest will sometimes trigger the guard to come and therefore allow you to enter Riften. If this doesn't work then you will definately know that it's something not related to gameplay.

I'm crashing, I doubt it's related to gameplay. and there are 2 guards at the south gate but my persuade attempt failed.

Ok, try uninstalling all of your mods first and see if it works then... If it does then you know it is one of them which is causing them problem. Then work through them by looking at the mod details on the page and look in the comments section to see if any other users have encountered a similar problem. If not, then work through uninstalling them until you find the one that is causing the issue. This is a long and boring process but it's often the only way. If you do find out which mod causes the problem, send a message to the author politely alerting them to the issue so that they can maybe work towards finding a fix :) Hope this has helped.

Looking at your mod list I noticed just a coupple things-- I use BOSS for my ordering. It places SMIM much higher up on the load order, about the house mods, armor mods, almost everything (it's 8 out 50 for me.)

Secondly, if I don't move WATER to the very bottom of the load order, I get seemingly random crashes, often near water but not always.

Just a coupla ideas to try in case you want to try and avoid removing everything (which is a more certain solution, for sure....)

Also want to add to Mooncain's post that if you do remove your mods, read the author's readme files to make sure you are doing it correctly and not leaving scripts that will haunt you.Forever.... or at least until you do a complete game reinstall, and that is really a pain!

Looking at your mod list I noticed just a coupple things-- I use BOSS for my ordering. It places SMIM much higher up on the load order, about the house mods, armor mods, almost everything (it's 8 out 50 for me.)

Secondly, if I don't move WATER to the very bottom of the load order, I get seemingly random crashes, often near water but not always.

Just a coupla ideas to try in case you want to try and avoid removing everything (which is a more certain solution, for sure....)

Also want to add to Mooncain's post that if you do remove your mods, read the author's readme files to make sure you are doing it correctly and not leaving scripts that will haunt you.Forever.... or at least until you do a complete game reinstall, and that is really a pain!

I'll try using BOSS to see if that helps, I did notice 2 out of 3 recouring crash locations were near water, the farm south of whiterun near the stream, and Riften is near a lake.

Using BOSS, moving WATER to the bottom of the load order and removing leveler's tower(to update it) didn't work to fix the exterior north gate of Riften. I resorted to using the console to unlock the south gate after finding that neither guard had a key I could pickpocket and I couldn't use any of the 3 options to get them to open the gate.

I got a question, I forgot what mod • 10 VanillaRaces - Prepatched - English.esp goes to, anyone know what one it is?

Edited by SalesKital