the OLD question???

Waxman22

i recently purchased Morrowind the Elder Scrolls 3... I regret to inform you that the frame rate is $h!TtY. I have a 1.6 ghz processor, 256 mb and a G-Force 4 mx440 se 128 mb graphics card! I installed the most recent patch and lowered my fps to 60 but It still sucks. Does anyone have any bright Ideas.

Thanks, Scott

Start off by reading the pinned topic at the top of this forum about "Preventing CTD's". There's a lot of information there that will not only help to prevent CTD's but will also help to improve your frame rates, overall - particulary the "Tweak Guide".

Scotty, a game of this size is going to be reeeeally taxing on your system. your processor is good (Pentium 4, I assume), RAM decent (though you may want to upgrade to 512MB), but I might suggest upgrading your video card. A GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB or 128MB card is good (I have the 64MB version) and relatively cheap now;

there is a difference between the MX and Ti series of GeForce 4's: the MX is an advanced version of a GeForce 2, while the Ti is the real advanced-advanced stuff. (then you get into GeForce 5's, which right now are pretty expensive)

If you have the money, go for it, if not, well, you could always shut off music-- those files kill fps. Also, switch your resolution down a notch or two. This will help fps, too. Make sure not to have real-time shadows on... that reeeeally slows stuff down. There are other things you can do too, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

And of course, update drivers.

So, if you do this stuff, you should get better non-@#%$ frame rates, and be able to play the game well. :)

;) well Obsidian, i don't think there is any "optimizer" for Morrowind. you just have to learn how to tweak the game yourself. read back a few posts and i believe someone mentioned an article to read on tweaktown....sounds like your computer is definitely enough to run the game ok. i have a 1GHz P3, 512MB RAM, and a 128MB GeForce4 Ti4200 and the game is running ok for me after doing some tweaking to the ini file as suggested in the tweaktown guide. Balmora ALWAYS has an annoying frame rate no matter what settings i have tried, but you should get SOME improvement.....good luck with it

mine hangs on by a thread, my comp is a p3 500, sis 128mg card, 256 ram, dodgy 15gig hard drive, but a vulkin fast 48x24x48x cd drive.

but i manage to run it at a constant 20fps, except those bloody propylon chambers, they slow any computer down the most.

oh, and i play it 1024x768 with shadows off and the draw distance half way, all i had to do was format, defrag every week and all my games run decent (even gta3 vice city at 1024x768x32 with maxed out draw distance)

Archived