FO4 stops 1 second after clicking Play

DontBlnkBadWolf

Just the basic FO4, no mods installed. Trying to start from Steam and having a look at Task Manager right after clicking Play. (does the same thing trying to launch through NMM).

Task Manager reveals that It starts in Background Processes, gets to 9.6% CPU then shuts down. Was playing the game this morning after getting home from work at 2:00a.m. EDT. Played it until 6. I shut down the game to go to the store, and I haven't been able to get it to start since.

And before anyone asks, FO4 v1.10.98 is what I am running. I've uninstalled/installed. Tried reverting to 1.10.89: all the same outcome.

Again, this is no mods or F4SE, just base game. Doesn't go 1 second past the clicking Play on the Launcher. Any guesses?

Using Windows 10? Latest updates have been giving many people issues if so.

Yes, but the last update was awhile ago. Wouldn't it have cause an issue way before 6am this morning?

I am not sure as i am still using windows 7 but ive seen a number of people talking about recent windows 10 updates causing game crashing issues. Try deleting your ini files and letting the game make new ones if you have not yet.

Fallout 4 clearly is not the issue or there would be countless posts like your own so you need to figure out what has changed on your end to cause the problem but id bet $$$ its Windows 10.

I'm honestly thinking on getting Windows 7 again and install it. Even though there is not a guarantee that the game will start even then. I also wonder if the games will even start after that, I've never had to do something this drastic before.

I am not 100% sure how Windows 10 has the C drive setup but can you go to your C drive and sort the folders by date modified? If they upload a micro patch it should show the date of the last time your windows folder was changed/updated. Have you tried other games to see if they still run fine and when the game crashes does it just kick you back to the desktop or does it freeze up?

I am not 100% sure how Windows 10 has the C drive setup but can you go to your C drive and sort the folders by date modified? If they upload a micro patch it should show the date of the last time your windows folder was changed/updated. Have you tried other games to see if they still run fine and when the game crashes does it just kick you back to the desktop or does it freeze up?

FO4 doesn't even go to a different screen to start, so there is nothing kicking me back to desktop. All I see is my desktop with task manager showing. I use 2 monitors so I have task manager showing on monitor 2 where the game would start and run on monitor 1.

As for anything being modified there is nothing that would that shows anything major modified when the update rolled out on June 27 to current date of today. Unfortunately, the update that everyone is complaining about, 1803, and the one that everyone wants to revert back to, 1709, is impossible for me to do. My version of Windows 10 is the Education Version, and I can't revert back to anything because, it doesn't keep old updates. Why is that? I don't have a clue. Maybe it's designed that way because it is a low cost version of Windows 10 for the education system. That's my best guess.

I no longer take any classes, because the institution was one of the many shut down during the previous Federal Administration for being a for profit college. They were on a warpath for those type of places for 8 years. So that is why I am thinking of buying a new Win 7 Home Premium OS disk. I liked 7, and while I don't mind Win 10, I might got back to 7 until another new version comes out. Which could be within the next 2-4 years.

As for the different Steam games I have starting up:

Skyrim SE - Starts up normal

The Witcher EE - Starts up normal

The Witcher 2 AoK - Starts up normal

The Witcher 3 WH - Starts up normal

Rocksmith 2014 Remastered - Starts up normal

Which leads me to conclude that the issue is only with FO4 Steam. I can't say it's all steam games, just FO4. So, is it a steam update, or was there another update in the past day or 2 that is after 1.10.98? I only have the 1.10.89 runtime as another option that won't start either. So I would have to think that it is an Steam issue.

Found the problem. Shadow Boost was the issue, I copied both shadowboost.asi & shadowboost.ini to desktop and then deleted it from FO4 Game Folder and the game started right up. Now the long task of enabling all the mods I removed from the game. I think I'll go back to runtime 1.10.89 though. All the F4SE plugins worked better with that version. I still may switch to Win 7 since it's really cheap to by a new disk.

Thanks for your help, @Sleepytime