What poses a greater threat to the gaming industry?

lengelb

Does DRM Work?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. What is a greater threat to the gaming industry?

2. 2. Does DRM drive away customers?

These corporations have no one to blame but themselves. Their own stupidity has clouded their judgement to the point that they have no respect for their customers and actively pursue in driving them away. I say shed all DRM and not make half-assed games that can only be complete (partially) through buying DLC. Nowadays, DLC is just content that should have been in the game from the start. The game companies need to give people a reason to buy their games and hopefully there will be less piracy.

So if a developer makes an awesome game, with no DRM and DLC, will more people buy the game? I find that hard to believe. Also it's cheaper to produce DLCs than it is to produce full expansion pack and allows for quicker distribution. You can create the same amount that you usually see in an expansion pack in 4-6 week. Game companies don't need to give you a reason to buy their games, it's a product, you either buy it or don't.

Also, some companies need to just die a whimpering death, like EA and Activision. Seriously, the CoD cash cow needs to come to an end. Too many stupid people rewarding a stupid company by buying their stupid games. News on a new CoD game drowns out nearly all news on any other game I might be interested in.

So if publishers die off, who will advertise the developer's games and hand out the fund to produce new or existing IPs? You seem to haven't thought it through that Activision and EA own a large part of the market and that CoD has been improving (or atleast BO2 is better than MW3). You also don't seem to care that you are calling for the end of many jobs across the US, Europe and Canada, so I don't think that those people will be too happy to see you wanting their jobs gone.

Games should also not run $60-70 dollars when they are clearly worth half that.

First off it's subjective and second there are more reasons why prices are that high. Australians pay between $80-$120 for a new game, so to see you complaining that prices are too high just makes me laugh.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im seeing that there are not much piracy votes up there!

And you guys might think that a copied dvd wont hurt any one but in here my whole country is pirating and though i hate it I HAVE TO buy games from here, i mean what other choices do i have? Come to america and buy games at the right price then come back? :verymad:

They have to control countries too.

For example the price of skyrim in america is about 50,60$ but you know how much i bought it? 2$ disgusting huh?!!

And after a time some bas***** will show up to buy pirated games from here and then sell them lower than the original price, higher than the pirated price, and you know the rest. Some how they double pirate the games and the gaming industries will be f***** up.

I guess after solving this problem you can fight about DRM!

Edited by ashkan33

im seeing that there are not much piracy votes up there!

And you guys might think that a copied dvd wont hurt any one but in here my whole country is pirating and though i hate it I HAVE TO buy games from here, i mean what other choices do i have? Come to america and buy games at the right price then come back? :verymad:

They have to control countries too.

For example the price of skyrim in america is about 50,60$ but you know how much i bought it? 2$ disgusting huh?!!

And after a time some bas***** will show up to buy pirated games from here and then sell them lower than the original price, higher than the pirated price, and you know the rest. Some how they double pirate the games and the gaming industries will be f***** up.

I guess after solving this problem you can fight about DRM!

Problem is that even with DRM a pirate WILL copy the game no matter what a company does to try and prevent it. In fact, it was reported that when DRM first came out, someone had already copied the game that it was supposed to protect!

DRM is completely useless, and a waste of the game developers money. All it accomplishes is alienating its paying customer base with games that they either cannot get to run, or, interferes with the operation of various bits of hardware. In all reality, I would wager that DRM is responsible for MORE folks pirating games, than if there hadn't been any to begin with. After all, the pirates don't have the issues the paying customers do. Nice huh?