Does school kill creativity?

Keanumoreira

Art and the humanities are seen in the present world culture as a waste of time when we need individuals to work towards the next great tech gadget rather than the next great music composer or poet who inspires a generation to love and help those who need help. We are becoming a bunch of robots with curcuit boards and software programming

What are you on about? In the US, the number of births fell 27% from 1957 to 1974 yet the number of BA degrees conferred rose 39% from 1977 to 1994. More people are studying liberal arts than ever before.

Edited by Marxist ßastard

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are people so obsessed with getting art into schools? That won't help creativity. The art classes that would be taught would force you to meet a certain set standard and your work would be the same as everyone in the class. It wouldn't change a thing, it would just be a completely useless impractical class.

@Marharth

I disagree with that. My old art teacher (thankfully, not the same man I ranted on earlier) did not set standards or deadlines. We came in, sat down, and he told us to create what we believe is Art. And that is exactly what we did. Some painted, some drew, some made ceramics, all of which were unique.

The results were amazing. We had paintings that went to State, ceramics that still inspire awe, and drawings that were incredibly life like.

/\

This is what an Art Class is supposed to be like. It sounds like something out of elementary, but the results were better then any fourth grader could give. We were graded pretty much on our attendance. Sometimes, we had to draw something specific so we can learn how to draw something else of our imaginations better but other then that, it was what we thought was Art.

@Marharth

I disagree with that. My old art teacher (thankfully, not the same man I ranted on earlier) did not set standards or deadlines. We came in, sat down, and he told us to create what we believe is Art. And that is exactly what we did. Some painted, some drew, some made ceramics, all of which were unique.

The results were amazing. We had paintings that went to State, ceramics that still inspire awe, and drawings that were incredibly life like.

/\

This is what an Art Class is supposed to be like. It sounds like something out of elementary, but the results were better then any fourth grader could give. We were graded pretty much on our attendance. Sometimes, we had to draw something specific so we can learn how to draw something else of our imaginations better but other then that, it was what we thought was Art.

Schools are required by federal law to set standards now. Not sure if that also applies to art classes, but I highly doubt that you will be able to get a good art teacher in the majority of art classes.

Not to mention that drawing or painting isn't the only creative thing you could do. Some people dislike "art" in that sense, but can be extremely creative in other ways.

@Marharth

I agree there are other ways. Even books are a form of art, a form of culture. Architecture is another, and there are many more besides. However, they don't teach writing or architecture in art class. :tongue:

Many may be surprised at my views on this topic, but here goes.

I think my friend Keanu, our OP is missing the point a tiny bit when he complains of creativity being underrated in comparison to academics in our school systems.

Secondly, I very much enjoyed the post #8 of Saadus. I'm not sure how old you are Saadus. I see on your profile that you are about to become a dad, so congratulations are in order. I'm guessing from that that you may be anywhere from late teens to 40's or higher. My point is that your post while somewhat berating the educational system in this country shows that you seem to at least have learned your language skills well enough. You also show a certain flair, which hints of a creative side as well. If you were educated in the U.S.,(and I have no idea if you were), you have managed to overcome the obsticles presented by the poor system and the cultural decline in which we find ourselves, and you communicate with ease to your fellow man.

The point at which I am getting is that if we are creative and really have a need to express it, we express it. The elementary and high school system is only a vehicle to help us get a very basic start in life. It is belabored by poor financing a huge lack of concern by the powers that be, and by the students and parents alike. When I hear people whining and/or whinging about what it does not do for them it tends to set my teeth on edge.

The schools and teachers do what the can with what they are given. Some do it better than others. But too many of us seem to forget that we have a role to play as well. We the students and we the parents and we the taxpayers. If we want education to improve, we need to stand up and say so.

Saadus mentioned the wearing of uniforms. My understanding of this decision is that it had to do with kids fighting over and or stealing each others "cool" threads, or stealing from local merchants in order to be dressed in the latest at school. The schools determined that one way to avoid this was to go the uniform route. I personally would have hated it as a kid, but I understand it as an adult. And I would not be whining about it.

I would be happy to see kids thinking period. Outside the box would be even better; and I agree that some schools do discourage this. They did in my day too. But it did not stop me and many others who were just built that way. Kids are people too, and they still each have a brain to the best of my knowledge. Using it would be a good idea, rather than expecting someone else to do it for them.

I just have way to much more to say on this subject so will have to stop for now. In any event, our educational system is dying, and we need to stop complaining because it doesn't give us everything we want. We need to start injecting some life into it through better and more efficient funding and better teacher salaries for starters... :confused:

The role of schools is to teach you how to think, that once learned, opens up all doors that an individual puts their mind to attaining an objective, skill or knowledge base. Having grown up around some truly amazingly creative people ( and it was disconcerting / daunting to try to measure up to those standards) my observation is that they succeeded in spite of whatever disadvantages that were put in their path. Life is what you make it, not what others make for you. If you want something bad enough then go do it, the worst thing that can happen is that you fail.....but you might also succeed.

To avoid criticism do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.

Elbert Hubbard

I love that quote. It is a fool-proof method to avoid any criticism. Everyone dreams, everyone has ideas. Not everyone has the will or the passion to bring them into fruition. Many people I know are creative in their designs, their solutions to every day problems. However, not one of them are willing to do out and make it happen as they might fail.

@Aurielius

I agree whole-heartily. We seem to agree a lot, don't we?

@Grannywils

Now I know why you are held in such respect. I am turning 19 in two months =P And I'm an American

Apparently, I am not the only one with a flair for words either.

I had to fight with the school systems multiple times as I would do things they don't understand. I solved mathematical problems with using just my mind and they said I was cheating. :mad: I wrote poetry that went on for three or four pages and the school went behind me and got rid of them. I drew pictures of battlefields and war ( I was 14 ). I was told never to doodle again. I don't know how you all feel, but that killed a lot of me back then and I only recently tried to reclaim that part of my life.

I am also aware of the reasoning behind the school uniforms. However, it would still discourage creativity as no one is allowed to express themselves visually. The only reason why I threw that in there.

Most kids would rather Google the answer then figure it out, don't they :(

I am also aware of the reasoning behind the school uniforms. However, it would still discourage creativity as no one is allowed to express themselves visually.

We're talking about grade-school students here. How many of them use clothing to "express themselves visually," beyond saying I have X money and I belong to X clique?