I shouldn't have been surprised

MightyZ0G

yea, I spent a while setting it up LOL

I'd forgotten how much fun it was degaussing :D

truth is, CRT does have a better quality image but the monitors are HUGE in comparison to LCD and the available resolutions aren't as high as LCD

my desktop LCD only went up to 1280 x 1024 and this CRT is 1280 x 1024 so the resolution is the same but the game looks better (to me, sat here in front of it) at lower settings and because of these settings it runs faster and smoother.

like I said, if you've got one in a cupboard or somewhere dig it out and have a look.

you may surprise yourself ;)

yea, I spent a while setting it up LOL

I'd forgotten how much fun it was degaussing :D

truth is, CRT does have a better quality image but the monitors are HUGE in comparison to LCD and the available resolutions aren't as high as LCD

my desktop LCD only went up to 1280 x 1024 and this CRT is 1280 x 1024 so the resolution is the same but the game looks better (to me, sat here in front of it) at lower settings and because of these settings it runs faster and smoother.

like I said, if you've got one in a cupboard or somewhere dig it out and have a look.

you may surprise yourself ;)

Yea I prefer the picture quality on CRT monitors too but a lot of new games are too dark for my old one, it has no gamma adjustment of it's own.

agreed, gamma correction is the hardest part of the set up and I do find myself adjusting the brightness/contrast when going in or out of dungeons and some of the poorly lit buildings, but that is a 2 second tweak.

I'm back on the HDTV now, just to see if I was imagining it but the same settings that made Skyrim seem vibrant, alive and solid on the CRT make it look like Borderlands on a console LOL

I read somewhere recently that most of the shadowing on skyrim uses the computer RAM not the VRAM. I can't remember where I read this or I would give cred. I also havent tried to test this theory. But if it is true, then turning off self shaowing might make more sense for those maxing out their RAM... Just wondering, have you looked at the effects on FRAPS or CPU-Z or something similar to see what is being affected?