Help giving an NPC clothing.

Xenavire

I am trying to create a patch to a mod I use that has one problem NPC, who decides to walk around naked all day, and even when given clothing, it disappears within a few game days. It seems like there is an issue with her vendor script too, but that is beyond fixing for me.

I have located her ID I believe, and have added clothing, and tried saving and also creating a difference patch, but my incredibly limted knowledge is hamstringing my progress.

First off, I learned a little of this sort of change with Companion Vilja (I successfully edited her hairstyle and skin textures with help from the VERY handy help-me walkthrough) however I don't have the know-how to go further.

I will explain my method step by step and if anyone can see what my issue is, feel free to correct me. (I was attempting a patch, not a hard edit, if need be I can do a hard edit but I was trying to NOT break the ESP ;p)

1) I open the CS, and double click the ESP I want to patch (I didn't set it as active.)

2) I located the NPC, opened her inventory, and made some modifications (adding several sets of clothing + shoes.)

3) On my first attempt, I only hit OK to save the inventory changes, then went to File-Save, and named my new ESP, loaded it up, no effect.

3.2) on my second attempt, I hit ok to save her inventory, then went File-Tools-Create Difference Patch. Here is where I got lost! I chose the same ESP as start and end masters, not knowing what else I should do. No luck there, but I imagine I screwed up royally so no surprises there.

Note: Opening both test fix ESP's I checked her ID, but it showed 0* for count, where in the original ESP it showed 1. I don't know the exact signifigance of that, I assumed it was part of the "patching", letting the new ESP find the number from the original ESP.

Seems to have worked PERFECTLY. In fact even better than expected, it seems to have even fixed a script with a set of items it looks like she was probably meant to sell. (Before she only had some book and a necklace, now she has parchments and quills/ink, items used commonly by the mod in question.)

Thank you so much for your help, I thought I was doing things completely wrong, when it turns out I was only missing a tool! =p

Edit: Thanks again, with your help I seem to have finished my first "solo" modding project, even if it is only a minor patch. You have my kudos! (pun intended).

Edited by Xenavire

All that documentation is helpful, but I am glad I didn't have to resort to trying those methods this time around. I would be afraid to permanently break part of the original ESP, or glitch up one of my saves completely.

Thanks for the link though, I will certainly keep it in mind with future issues/conflicts like this.

When it's for personal use I generally edit the mod's original esp (I keep backups of course, plus I have the original download). The downside to this is if you make changes to a mod that afterwards has an update released. Most of my changes aren't very extensive, so I've learned to document what I've done in a text file. That makes it easier to redo my changes to the updated version. The only extensively modded original that I have is a mod that hasn't been updated in years.