Who called for the DB hit on the Dragonborn?

CaptainRC

I'm sure everyone, by now, has encountered a Dark Brotherhood assassin trying to kill the Dragonborn at least once. And I know that the attempts will end once you either join the Dark Brotherhood or kill them. But I'm just curious... does anyone know exactly who performed the Black Sacrament on the Dragonborn... or if that question is ever answered at all?

Actually, you don't have to wrong a single person in the game to get a DB contract out on you. On one playthrough I kept my nose completely clean. Yes, I picked some locks here and there, but not in any "owned" area. I, miraculously, didn't even have an assault to my name by the time I reached level 20 or thereabouts -- I was that anal about not hurting anyone who might be "innocent". I still got DB contracts.

The "person" who takes these out on you is the game-system. Blame Bethesda for stupidity -- it runs rampant in this game, with lots of little things like this that make no sense at all by any stretch of the imagination. It's basically one of those random things that the developers put into the game, ostensibly for the purpose of making your trips between cities "interesting". I just find them annoying enough to get an early vendetta against the DB going.

what you perhaps don't realize is that chickens ,wolves and horses (yes, even your own) and probably other creatures are able AND WILL snitch on you for the slightest infractions, such as killing other wild animals or lockpicking

another thing that will get you into trouble is staying inside a shop past the closing time..even if you are buying or selling and you never steal anything. the moment the clock hits the closing time you're regarded as a trespasser