Skyrim save

sebek465

For the most part, other people's saves are going to be of limited use to you, depending upon what mods they (and you) have installed. It's generally not a good idea to import other people's saves into your game because of this.

I'll make a suggestion, although I know it doesn't help you with your immediate problem. As TalimIvy said, don't rely upon autosaves. There are issues with autosaves which can destabilize or even break the game, at least with Oblivion, and I don't think it's been fixed in Skyrim. All Bethesda did was to spread out the problem over multiple autosaves, but those are still being overwritten, which is the cause of the game bloat and game instability in Oblivion.

Instead, make a new hard save (not quicksave, because those have the same overwriting issue as autosaves) before every transition (door or fast travel), and before any anticipated event where something could go wrong (like before a fight). Never load an autosave, by the way. If you do, and then make a hard save, any problems which have accrued within that autosave will now be permanently in your regular save. Prune out the older saves and keep maybe the latest fifty or so, if you have the hard disk space for it. This way you'll nearly always have a recent save to fall back upon in the event your game glitches out.

For the most part, other people's saves are going to be of limited use to you, depending upon what mods they (and you) have installed. It's generally not a good idea to import other people's saves into your game because of this.

I'll make a suggestion, although I know it doesn't help you with your immediate problem. As TalimIvy said, don't rely upon autosaves. There are issues with autosaves which can destabilize or even break the game, at least with Oblivion, and I don't think it's been fixed in Skyrim. All Bethesda did was to spread out the problem over multiple autosaves, but those are still being overwritten, which is the cause of the game bloat and game instability in Oblivion.

Instead, make a new hard save (not quicksave, because those have the same overwriting issue as autosaves) before every transition (door or fast travel), and before any anticipated event where something could go wrong (like before a fight). Never load an autosave, by the way. If you do, and then make a hard save, any problems which have accrued within that autosave will now be permanently in your regular save. Prune out the older saves and keep maybe the latest fifty or so, if you have the hard disk space for it. This way you'll nearly always have a recent save to fall back upon in the event your game glitches out.

Hmm, I usually always load a quicksave and I've never had a problem I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it occurs much, atleast for me. And making a hard save before each door? Isn't that a bit excessive? That's what I use quicksave for. I only make a hard save every few hours.

I make a hard save before each door as a way point, before leaving a cave in case there's a dragon waiting for me and several times during trading in case I inadvertently buy or sell something that I didn't want. It's not difficult and it's saved my virtual skin on many an occasion.

Rabbit

@ xMcNerdx: No, I don't think making a hard save before every transition point is excessive. The game will make an autosave for you at those times, you know. The problem is that if something goes wrong, like if you die, the game will restart with the autosave. Then you turn that into a hard save the next time you do it manually.

Like I said, overwriting saves in Oblivion was a well-documented, game-breaking bug. There's no indication at all that Bethesda fixed this issue, and some indication that it hasn't been fixed. The people in the know will tell you not to use autosaves or quicksaves. You can ignore this advice if you like, but you're on your own when one of your saves becomes so corrupt that it suddenly stops working. Chances are you will get very little warning until it happens.

The problems are small and cumulative. Your first indication will be game save bloat (typified by longer loading times). Your next will be instability, possibly including CTDs and likely including "odd" behavior of various types. Your final indication will be a saved game that will not load and/or crashes the game upon access. The first two indications might be so ephemeral you won't even notice them. It's too late to save your game once the third situation happens, and reverting to a prior save will only stave off the inevitable, because your game save is already corrupt -- just not corrupt enough to quit working.

In short, if you use your autosaves and quicksaves I think your game is living on borrowed time. It's not that difficult to make hard saves so that you can revert to those when the game, itself, insists upon loading an autosave. In fact, I always manualy delete any autosaves after every gamesession.

its true that the auto save tend to save in areas or when/after loading a new cell this makes the game crash or get a corrupted save. best is to save it your self however try to override uninstalling and re installing mods this will effect your save and most of the time will corrupt your saves. also it will over time bloat your save anyways there really isn't any way around it, hopefully Bethesda fixes it soon.

I suffered greatly from this bloated save game issue. I found out about it when i started to have lock up/freezing issues which are really game-breaking in every 2-3 minutes. It took like 10 hours of mine but I couldn't find any solution. :(

This is a fine example of save game bloat i think. This is my back up file so don't mind duplicated saves.

http://i.imgur.com/aakea.png?1

I think it may have occured because of the autosave/quicksave issue that you mentioned. I used autosave and quicksave frequently and have about 150 mods working. One of the scripted mods may glitched the save file while in autosaving process i don't really know but i tried everything to fix this. I removed every mod and reinstalled a clean vanilla game but save file didn't decrease below 30mbs. I returned back to Save 42 now it seems nice. I don't experience any save game bloating or game lock-ups anymore.

Edited by jakoben91

I suffered greatly from this bloated save game issue. I found out about it when i started to have lock up/freezing issues which are really game-breaking in every 2-3 minutes. It took like 10 hours of mine but I couldn't find any solution. :(

This is a fine example of save game bloat i think.

stunning screenshot

I think it may have occured because of the autosave/quicksave issue that you have mentioned. I used autosave and quicksave frequently and have about 150 mods working. One of the scripted mods may glitched the save file while in autosaving process i don't really know but i tried everything to fix this. I removed every mod and reinstalled a clean vanilla game but save file didn't decrease below 30mbs. I returned back to Save 42 now it seems nice. I don't experience any save game bloating or game lock-ups anymore.

yoiks... my save games increase in size but, especially after installing and using that hard save hotkey mod I mentioned, we're talking maybe 100-200 kb every few hours hours. (Around like yours was before your saves went nuts.) I even see my saves decrease in size sometimes. I used quicksave willy-nilly in FONV without any problems, but after experiencing a corrupt save on my last skyrim playthrough and reading up on the subject in the forum threads, I've abandoned quick saves and autoves for this game completely. (I remapped the f5 to P so I wouldn't accidentally hit it, like I did a couple times.)