Steam and disk?

Mrfallout5000

What do you guys think the pros and cons are of both steam and disks games and which one do you think is better because i have always used the cd version of games and not sure if I want to switch to steam which I dont know a lot about Edited by Mrfallout5000

As hector said, steam is required to activate the game. There's a few reasons why you could get a disk instead:

- You don't want to download the game via steam, because you don't have any fast internet. You have to follow this procedure then however

- Aesthetics, a box version looks prettier and you get a manual, map and depending on the version some extras as well.

However, that's just about it. The thing is that you need steam anyway to run this game legally. I was wary of digital services like steam as well, until one of my discs died and steam made it a load easier.

Steam in general has the perk it has sales from time to time that are better than in stores. Your local store might still offer it cheaper however. Still.. once you activated the disc version of skyrim in steam it works exactly the same as the steam version.

There's really no downside to both, so choose whatever you like. I'd say go for the cheapest version ;D

I prefer steam, mostly because with a disk version you have to fish out the disk to run it, whereas steam requires a simple click. It is also cheaper than in stores ( mostly cause i dont have to pay tax for online purchases :biggrin:) . You also don't have to worry bout losing the disk with steam, the only downside is it doesn't have a paper manual included and it takes longer to download your games. So all in all i think steam is the best choice. Edited by Eddieawsome

That might be the case where you live, around here the disk version is often cheaper (with shipping costs included).

Imma take an example; buying Max Payne 3 on Steam would cost me 49,99€, that's about 448SEK. Preordering the disk version would cost me 438SEK (with all shipping costs included), about 48€.

An especially egregious example is CoD Modern Warfare 3, Steam version costs 59,99€ while I can order the disk version for 31€

Edited by ita

what no mention of the fact that if your internet connection dies for whatever reason you cant launch your games ! or no mention of the fact that the steam overlay uses around 900mb of hardware resources ,or the one that bugs me needing to seek permission from steam and sign in each time i want to play a game iv forked over my hard earned cash for , i think no one in their right mind would buy and car if they had to ask the sellers permission to drive it each day .

all this is supposedly done to protect the IP of the publishers who know full well that the moment a game is released it gets cracked and uploaded to various torrent sites and who also know that within six months of its release sales take a steep drop the only reason i suffer it is because i love gaming .

and lets not forget the fact that opening steam and allowing access tohrough your fire wall essentially puts your machine at risk as steam offers no protection from hackers or other internet nastys, also while im on a rant how many of you use credit cards to buy your goods via steam ? think its secure do you , think again twice to my knowledge has steam been attacked and lost sensitive personal information belonging to its customers .

i can think of no worse a way of alienating the paying customer .

what no mention of the fact that if your internet connection dies for whatever reason you cant launch your games ! or no mention of the fact that the steam overlay uses around 900mb of hardware resources ,or the one that bugs me needing to seek permission from steam and sign in each time i want to play a game iv forked over my hard earned cash for , i think no one in their right mind would buy and car if they had to ask the sellers permission to drive it each day .

all this is supposedly done to protect the IP of the publishers who know full well that the moment a game is released it gets cracked and uploaded to various torrent sites and who also know that within six months of its release sales take a steep drop the only reason i suffer it is because i love gaming .

and lets not forget the fact that opening steam and allowing access tohrough your fire wall essentially puts your machine at risk as steam offers no protection from hackers or other internet nastys, also while im on a rant how many of you use credit cards to buy your goods via steam ? think its secure do you , think again twice to my knowledge has steam been attacked and lost sensitive personal information belonging to its customers .

i can think of no worse a way of alienating the paying customer .

I would suggest you reinstall Steam, something is very wrong if it's taking up 900mb. As for your internet connection just put Steam into offline mode and forget about it.