Follower only responds with "..."

Jyotai

This keeps happening every few days. I will lose a follower to "..." as the only response when I interact with them.

Sometimes I can trigger them back to normal by entering combat

With custom followers I have also fixed them by disabling the follower and cloning a new ones - which only works some of the time, and requires me to then need to 'hack through console commands' to duplicate the inventory the bad copy had onto the good copy.

Failing those tricks my only option is to go back in saves until I find one just before it broke...

Any ideas on what can cause this, and how it can be resolved, if possible, in a less drastic manner?

I recently had to abandon a game that was at level 25 because this bug hit Lydia after updating a mod, and even after reverting the update and loading a save from before updating, "something" was different in my system and I found I had lost every single NPC in the game that the mod (Amorous Adventures for Flower Girls - which basically adds very one-directional dialog to a number of NPCs) had any interactions with...

So a way to just 'shock and NPC back' would be very useful to know if it exists...