ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Turn based Strategy

Shadowcran

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You owe it to yourself to try at least one. Turn based strategy lets you have the luxury of thinking out your strategy in advance, unlike the majority of Real Time strategies. In those, it usually starts out with a plan but ends up plowing ahead with superior technology and running roughshod. Most turn based involves equal sides battling it out, with you taking advantage of terrain, position, and many other factors. It allows you to expand your mind. Fair warning though, if you play enough you start seeing hexes and advantages in your sleep and just looking at your surroundings.

Yes, the heroes series is a good recommendation. Heck, I've yet to find a bad one in all these posts.

Heroes 3 is till this day the best tbs i ever played.

unfortunately there's no enough good games today though i like the way they did the Kings Treasure on pc,a nice resurection of a much older game.

etherlords are a nice game and if you like tbs you should try it.

actually that sounds ok!

I play chess, could you call that a tbs?

yes, very much so, my friend.

You'll find the chess skills you developed will carry over to video games of Turn Based Strategy. To a lesser extent, so will other board type games.

I don't think we've mentioned the great board games for strategy out there. Most of them, if not all, have been adapted into a video game. Let's see how many I can name. Tell me which of these you like people.

Chess, Othello, Stratego, Axis and Allies, Fortress America, Conqueror of Rome, Risk, mind is now going blank and I know there's more. Feel free to correct me in what I've missed. I'll probably slap my forehead and go AHA! Now I remember! There's also countless hex board games, but where I live these have been hard to get .

Earlier I recommended Battle for Wesnoth. It's completely free and encourages player made campaigns, some of which have made into the "main line" of the game. Give it a try. I DO recommend you NOT bother with the Wesnoth Forums. It's badly troll filled and probably will die out. If you do go there, don't post but read the strategy tips.

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Download Get the one that applies to your system. For instance, mine is the Windows version. This download comes with about 10 campaigns, but there's hundreds more available for download as well as many multiplayer ones and options.

The endearing thing about turn based strategy and most players of it is that most don't care one whit about the graphics. They want gameplay and good graphics is just a plus. I don't know why but the earlier console games are a LOT harder than todays "visual masterpieces".

I remember the first couple I tried, The Shining Force 1 and 2 and PTO, aka Pacific Theatre of Operations. By today's standards, they'd be considered eyesores, but not in gameplay. In gameplay they make eyesores of most of today's games. I find myself shocked when I see(not in Oblivion's forums mind you) players refusing to play these old games due to it "being old and kidified". These older games are hard and would probably embarass the majority of young gamers today with their difficulty.

I remember an old RPG for Sega Genesis(Of course anyone today can play all these old games with a free emulator and free ROM) called Rings of Power. This game had an entire world to discover, back then not common at all. YOu could go anywhere in that world from day one but it wasn't advised. The game's combat took place with magic only but it paid to learn it's strategies. Excuse the shouting but WHEN YOU PLAY THIS GAME YOU WILL HAVE TO SAVE ALMOST EVERY 30 SECONDS TO A MINUTE DUE TO IT"S DIFFICULTY AT TIMES. You had to amass 5 more followers of different magic schools, each a hard quest, and THEN, and only then you start the main quest for the 11 rings. Most of these 11 rings quests are tough.

Today, young gamers will make fun of such a game. However, if they dared try it they'd find there's less than 10 people in the world who beat it. I'm one of those but I did it by sheer perserverance. There are a few levelling up tricks. Reason why I shouted about saving earlier? This game can randomly kill you at any moment. I recall one time starting up the game, taking 2 steps and suddenly VOID, the games devil, randomly kills me. If this happened in today's games, the young gamer would immediately start whining to the developers or term the game "gay" and not play it anymore.

Personally, I despise turn-based games like Final Fantasy, Ogre Battles, and the alike. However, there are some that I did enjoy. Disciples was a good series. It was creative and the imagery was fantastic. I even thought Pokemon was great back in the day.

Anybody here remember Empire (not to be confused with the retail version of Empire Deluxe)

Empire originated in the early 1970's under the name Civilization

I used to play the Peter Langston version on the Amiga and earned my first programing skill using his Draco language.

Empire was the grand father of TBS games and MMOs. It had a clever way of updating the map as background tasks so you could log in your account at any time and see some updates.

I think some people are still playing it at: Wolfpack Empire