Requesting help troubleshooting some mods and general advice

dtmwerks

Is the point of all this to start from square one? I only have like 3-4 mods installed so I don't mind losing them, but the oblivion reinstall link states:

"It does NOT remove your mods, save games or Oblivion.ini or the entries that the original installation of Oblivion placed in your Windows registry. It also does not remove helper programs such as OBSE, OBMM, Wrye Bash, The construction set or any other programs you have installed in the Oblivion folder, data folder or the save game folder. In fact, it leaves behind more than it removes."

So I'm confused why I would need to backup mods if it's not even removing mods.

And yeah, my backup was in program files: steam: backups for some reason. Must be a steam thing. I created my own "games" folder in C: since nothing was there before. Also I googled and apparently all saves are synced to cloud steam so that's fine for skyrim, but regarding oblivon, you say back up my mods? How do I do that? I've never backed up anything in my life, so I just followed the steam instructions to back it up. Am I backing it up so I don't have to reinstall all the mods again?

edit: well i did all that registry cleaning, disk defrag, disk cleaning, restarting, and moving files around. oblivion is installing again on steam. just realized how long it takes, even at 2mb/s. Now I'm confused about this step

"Don't forget to reinstall OBMM, OBSE and the Construction Set if you use any of them.

Now, if you want to try to run with your old mods, first rename the original folders. The \data folder to \newdata and the \oldata back to \data. this restores all of your mods. You should now have 2 data folders \data, and \newdata in your \oblivion folder"

How exactly does oblivion know which folder to use? "New data" will have all the dlc, and "data" will have all my old mobs? Can't I just move them all to one folder?

Would it be simpler to just reinstall OBMM? I don't even know what happened to it, I think i deleted it.

Edited by dtmwerks

If you only have a few mods you could either back up, redownload or if you saved the original downloads to a folder you can just re-install them from that folder. The guides need to be written to cover other possibilities, like the people with a couple of hundred mods installed and nothing saved or backed up from when they originally installed the mods. For you to move back to square one isn't nearly the same ... you're at something like square one and a half.

To back up things I use the good old copy and paste method. I have the luxury of multiple physical hard drives on my machines so I also make sure my backups are on a different physical hard drive but a separate folder on C drive would suffice. What you want is stuff saved in a spot that wouldn't be affected if things went awry when you are upgrading, or moving things as in this example.

Once you have Steam moved and working correctly you'll re-install Oblivion. As I suggested you'd be best off getting the game settings and tutorial dungeon out of the way with just plain old unmodded vanilla Oblivion and then start installing mods. If you had been playing Oblivion for years and had that big bunch of mods working before there are ways of just restoring your Data folder from your previous installation to save installing a couple of hundred mods ... you don't fall into that category.

Edited by Striker879

Ok, guess I'll finish the tutorial.But one more that I kind of want to get out of the way from the start so I can get used to it. Is there a general concensus of which is better to play with for oblivion? Keyboard+ mouse or xbox controller. I bought a wireless gaming receiver for the xbox controller so both are possible options, but before I start configuring either one, I just wanted to know which one was easier to use. Especially for my favorite thing, decorating. Although I understand there are mods to make that easier anyway.

edit: leaning towards xbox controller, but this guide

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Controls#Xbox_360_Controller_for_Windows

is out of date?

I have the xbox 360 wireless gaming receiver installed and running, but to use it for oblivion requires some work. I dled xpadder but xpadder.exe won't even run for windows 7 (stopped support at vista it says). What should I do?

The guide told me to dl it on another site, but the official site says it DOES support windows 7, but isn't free.

Edited by dtmwerks

Your mileage may differ, but many console players coming to Oblivion find using the controller with Oblivion less than satisfying. An old thread that wound it's way around a number of issues got focused on setting up controller to work with Oblivion about half way through it's 12 pages. Have a look through to get a feel for what some have thought about it, and if you decide to go the controller route Stemin and GnatGoSplat would be good ones to ask for advice.

Hmm it does seem like a big hassle I suppose. The large majority of people really that much of a problem with it? Damn...

I suppose keyboard is fine, I wouldn't have any problems changing the controls of oblivion keyboard to skyrim keyboard would I? Is there a good reason why they're different? I just want a consistent ES experience >< but even jump is on a different key lol

Hmm it does seem like a big hassle I suppose. The large majority of people really that much of a problem with it? Damn...

I suppose keyboard is fine, I wouldn't have any problems changing the controls of oblivion keyboard to skyrim keyboard would I? Is there a good reason why they're different? I just want a consistent ES experience >< but even jump is on a different key lol

Remapping the keyboard is trivial.

Non-Skyrim guy here ... I take it they don't use the same keyboard layout.

I was an old first person shooter type and found getting used to Oblivion's keyboard layout took a bit to get used to. At first things like having spacebar for 'Use' and not 'Jump' screwed me up and I thought about changing it. As I played the game I came to appreciate how the key mapping they chose worked well for what you do most in the game. The only deviation I have to their mapping now is I have 'Cast' mapped to the 'Back' button on my mouse as well as 'C'.

Ok, using the keyboard now while trying to get out of the tutorial. I'm sure I can get used to anything, but some things starting to annoy me already. No take all key, no universal "back" or "ok" button (unless I've missed it), and cast spell is weird and I only have two buttons on my mouse ><

Do mods like OOO change anything like this? Or is this something I just have to get used to.

I guess I'll go up to the point right before you leave the dungeon in case there are any good mods that can add more customization to my appearance.

edit: Made it to the end of the tutorial! So do I need python & standalone version of wyre bash? or just standalone version? and where do I install? Data folder? Or just oblivion folder?

Edited by dtmwerks

I think the standalone version suits most people best considering it's ease of installation (fewer things to get wrong). I seldom see posts by people who had to downgrade to an earlier version of Python WB due to compatibility with some mod. According to the mod description page you allow the installer to find your Oblivion folder (or perhaps you need to direct it there):

Requirements and Installation: Short version: just use the installer and install Wrye Bash to the Oblivion folder!

Remember! In Windows Vista and up, don't install Oblivion in the Program Files folder due to User Access Controls (UAC).

Your complaints about no 'take all' key are commonly heard. I believe there is a mod that offers that function but I'm afraid I can't point you to it. I suggest posting a question in the Mod detectives thread asking for it ... they're the experts on finding mods.

I know the reason I mapped 'cast' to my mouse 'back' button as well as 'c' is how poorly placed the 'c' key is when you're trying to cast and move at the same time. Only advice I can give is find yourself a new mouse that has the 'forward' and 'back' side buttons (intended for web browser navigation) ... I'd go wireless, you won't regret it.

Alright. they say version 296 still has some problems but I'm guessing thats the most recent stable version. Standalone version is the easy one to install? The thing you quoted makes it sound like I'm supposed to install the automated version. But the automated version is standalone & python...not just standalone. Sigh, I'm frustrated at my helplessness.

tl;dr - dl this one? "Wyre Bash 296 - Installer" description: "automated installer/updater for both Python and Standalone versions"

The other ones are manual installs only

Frustrated also that all the wyre bash faqs and guides I've looked at all talk about what to do once it's installed, not what the different veresions are/what they do, and what it even is!

Edited by dtmwerks