ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Crashing to Desktop

rpgjaguar

Would you sign a the pettition?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign a pettition to make beth put in error reporting

• Yes, I think it's a good idea as it would make my life easier.
    • No, I'm smart enough to know what the problem is instantly so I don't need it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO Skyrim is not as stable as Oblivion, nothing like it. It may be the mods mainly, but when I look back at some of the huge mods I was running in Oblivion compared to Skyrim, with a lot less problems, Skyrim is buuuuuuugggggy rubbish.

In Oblivion I was running several mods which were as big as a major quest line in Skyrim with nothing like the trouble I am having in Skyrim with a few armour/companion/player home mods. Not one major expansion/quest and CTD all the freeking time the further I get into games. Dropped populated cities, cats and dogs, more useful people and crash, crash still. Not one environment mod, no enhancements etc.

I cant open any container under water, my latest crash, cannot even look at Balmora Blue in the Dainty Sload Thieves quest. Everytime I tried to open the underwater chest, ctd, so gave myself the item after paying for it, then CTD when I even try to look at it in my potions inventory. Parts of the map have become inaccessible. Some Jarl keeps as well. Often does not load cells properly. Tried 2 reinstalls. No improvement. Sometimes if it crashes, it wipes all auto and quick saves in that session, going back to the last hard save or auto/quick from a previous sitting.

I have no idea how anyone not on PC can play with any mods. I have to use console 10 times more often than in Oblivion to save/complete quests.

You do understand that mods are software. Software that YOU put on your computer. YOU caused the crash. Not Bethesda.

And everything I said earlier still applies. You can use all the third party software you want to try and manage your mods but at the end of the day if a crash happens, it's still a crash. There's no magical way to just detect what's wrong and put it in a file for you, unless like I said Skyrim was run from within another program that's constantly checking it, taking two times the resources (or more) to get the job done.

I don't know what answer you expect. You have a LOT to learn about basic software principles before you start making requests like that.

This is exactly why people on this forum continually tell people only add one mod at a time. Run it for a while and make sure everything is stable before adding another mod.

Yet again your miss-understanding me, I'm starting to wonder if your doing it on purpose? I never not once said that bethesda was responsible for me crashing, What i was was that beth's software doesnt make it easy to determin what the problem was, and me wanting a crash report of some sort was to make it so you don't have to slog though for hours trying to find the problem (like what your suggesting)

Also for the record, I do know about programming and software principles, I'm not an aficionado programmer but I know enoough to know that the cuase of a crash Is most Often user related, but it still doesn't change the fact that without some sort of error report, you often have very little idea what causes hence the need to spend hours trying to find it, I think you need to go back to school and learn to read becuase obviously (as shown) you arn't getting my point.

I've never heard of game booster, I will look into it.

Want to work out the problem from my load order? ok:

yes, I'm aware of the "update.ESM" but I installed 1.6 patch and update.esm is being reported as not there by Wyre bash, but both BOSS and NMM say it is and the BSA is there in the folder, also I've used boss to set the load order and Wyrebash isn't reporting any mod conflict errors.

So , what do you think the problem is? Oh and it crashes in the same place, near where you encounter the pack of wolves when you travel with the person you escape from helgan, disable better villages and you can go further but instead it crashes when you physically reach near the smiths house.

And lastly, how would having an error reporting system within skyrim give steam more power and make it harder to make mods? All i'm asking is that when you get a CTD that skyrim or windows throws an error report, it's not that hard, exeception catching is an easy (if slightly processor intensive) to put in, it's just time consuming.

EDIT: Just used Game booster, whilst it didn't stop the crashing, It did reduce my stuttering by about half, thanks for that.

EDIT: And this is what it says is what game booster reported :

1201 - Time : 30/05/2012 08:30:38

1202 - Source : Application Error

1203 - Description : Faulting application name: TESV.exe, version: 1.6.87.0, time stamp: 0x4fbda234

Faulting module name: kernel32.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17651, time stamp: 0x4e211318

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000e030c

Faulting process id: 0xcfc

Faulting application start time: 0x01cd3dfab63ea6fc

Faulting application path: D:\Games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\TESV.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll

Report Id: ad7d7b90-a9ee-11e1-9c3d-dfadc055fb34

which doesn't help much as it's a mod that's causing the crash.

Edited by rpgjaguar

@rpgjaguar, hi, for what its worth, suggest you disable/uninstall the mods highlighted in gold below and

only add them back one by one after you've completed some of the initial Whiterun quests like 'Dragon Rising'.

A few of these mods are major overhauls and I suspect are intrusive enough to prevent Skyrim from functioning properly especially

when you're trying to start a new game; also, looks like a few mods overlap/change identical things and are not peacefully co-existing.

With patch v1.6 coming soon you may want to consider uninstalling a lot of these until modders can test/update their stuff.

(i cannot identify mods highlighted in blue).

Active Mod Files:

• 00 Skyrim.esm [CRC: C665FD56]

• 01 ApachiiHair.esm [CRC: 5287E485]

• 02 ArmedttTeeth.esm [CRC: FE57F601]

• 03 AOM.esm [CRC: E032FA90]

• 04 BlackreachRailroad.ESM [CRC: 0BDE7C5B]

• 05 CLARALUX - More and Brighter Lights.esm [CRC: ADD2A581]

• 06 WARZONES - Civil Unrest.esm [CRC: BF6FC7BA]

• 07 Ithenzard_Zel.esp [CRC: A5C13237]

• 08 LovelyHairstyles.esp [CRC: 1FE73278]

• 09 Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp [Version 1.0] [CRC: B5101243]

• 0A OLSE v0.4.esp [CRC: 3EED7F49]

• 0B SkyrimURWL.esp [CRC: 14F99015]

• 0C Better Dynamic Snow.esp [CRC: 541965A9]

• 0D lt_better_horses.esp [CRC: B60EF556]

• 0E DeadlyDragons.esp [CRC: B8FA758A]

• 0F enhanceddynamicweathersystem.esp [CRC: 0FD4CA8E]

• 10 ENG_Firewood_Ore_&_Ingot_weight_reduction_v1.0.esp [CRC: 0AB3831E]

• 11 Height Adjusted Skyrim with True Giants.esp [CRC: 0F5F0106]

• 12 armored-horses.esp [CRC: 31C42338]

• 13 Improved Magic Perks.esp [CRC: 94EBDC66]

• 14 Misc Items Reweighting.esp [CRC: 58459A22]

• 15 MoreSnowWindyand75percentLessView.esp [CRC: 4A595497]

• 16 MoreRainWindy33percentLessView.esp [CRC: C657CD8E]

• 17 R18Pn - Eisen Platte Armor.esp [CRC: 39A7C1BC]

• 18 Reduced Shout CD.esp [CRC: 9FA4FE88]

• 19 hqsnow.esp [CRC: 727A8741]

• 1A SoS - The Dungeons.esp [Version 1.0] [CRC: BEC9C173]

• 1B SoS - The Wilds.esp [Version 1.0.1] [CRC: D2337544]

• 1C ToggleSpells - MagicEffects.esp [CRC: A0766C18]

• 1D UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp [CRC: A75A9C11]

• 1E UNPPantyhose.esp [CRC: 2B873A60]

• 1F whiteruntrees.esp [CRC: E06460E1]

• 20 1nivWICCloaks.esp [CRC: CB7BFF25]

• 21 xpMinor.esp [CRC: 075BE59B]

• 22 SabreFurBag.esp [CRC: 1FC5C04C]

• 23 1nivWICCloaksCRAFT.esp [CRC: 38917FAE]

• 24 StaticMeshImprovementMod.esp [CRC: 7985AB43]

• 25 Cautious Vendors.esp [CRC: F3CE5D20]

• 26 AttTWeapons 1.esp [CRC: 7656D900]

• 27 AttTWeapons3.esp [CRC: F5A2B1F3]

• 28 AttTShields.esp [CRC: 23EAAED8]

• 29 AttTStaff.esp [CRC: 25CD7DD2]

• 2A Unique Region Names.esp [Version 2.1] [CRC: 6FADC47D]

• 2B RemoveAmbientInteriorFog.esp [CRC: 2014AA8E]

• 2C Apocalypse - The Spell Package.esp [CRC: 3E1912AC]

• 2D WATER - Get Wet.esp [CRC: D9D9F97E]

• 2E WATER.esp [CRC: E525E26D]

• 2F AddChoices01.esp [CRC: C9C7B5F1]

• 30 RevampedExteriorFog.esp [CRC: C2B2BCF1]

• 31 Bashed Patch, 0.esp [CRC: 2C5BA0DD]

• 32 RealRainDarker.esp [CRC: A93544F1]

• 33 More Dynamic Shadows.esp [CRC: 371FFF06]

• 34 DeadlySpellImpacts.esp [CRC: 6772D0DC]

• 35 DYNAVISION Dynamic Depth of Field.esp [CRC: C933B45D]

• 36 Behemoth Dragon.esp [CRC: F888A494]

• 37 Chesko_WearableLantern.esp [CRC: BDB0BE6B]

• 38 DragonsDiversified.esp [CRC: 6D8FC101]

• 39 DeadlyDiversifiedDragonsPatch.esp [CRC: 00A907F9]

• 3A AOM.esp [CRC: 81AE32B6]

• 3B Occupy Skyrim.esp [CRC: 498CFC67]

• 3C PISE.esp [CRC: 3FD14C0F]

• 3D DynamicLoot.esp [CRC: 971B05CB]

• 3E Magic Magitude.esp [CRC: 68E82BFF]

• 3F BlackreachRailroad.esp [CRC: CA1516D3]

• 40 AttTWeapons 2.esp [CRC: 95D42BB8]

• 41 MomoDash.esp [CRC: 12749C9A]

• 42 CLARALUX - LightAdjuster - Increased Bright Increased Radius.esp [CRC: 2B4B272B]

• 43 Dark Light Templates.esp [CRC: 8A9659B9]

• 44 Darker Nights_20bl.esp [CRC: D0FE58BC]

• 45 Better Villages.esp [CRC: 8C315DC3]

Edited by xlcr

@xlcr: Thanks for you help, the game is now playable, it still crashes (not CTD, just starts not responding) but it works mostly. Still, this Just proves my point, unless you know things like "Certain quests should be finished before use of certain mods" then your just going to go around in circles.

Again, xlcr, thanks I give kudos to you.

IMHO Skyrim is not as stable as Oblivion, nothing like it. It may be the mods mainly, but when I look back at some of the huge mods I was running in Oblivion compared to Skyrim, with a lot less problems, Skyrim is buuuuuuugggggy rubbish.

In Oblivion I was running several mods which were as big as a major quest line in Skyrim with nothing like the trouble I am having in Skyrim with a few armour/companion/player home mods. Not one major expansion/quest and CTD all the freeking time the further I get into games. Dropped populated cities, cats and dogs, more useful people and crash, crash still. Not one environment mod, no enhancements etc.

I cant open any container under water, my latest crash, cannot even look at Balmora Blue in the Dainty Sload Thieves quest. Everytime I tried to open the underwater chest, ctd, so gave myself the item after paying for it, then CTD when I even try to look at it in my potions inventory. Parts of the map have become inaccessible. Some Jarl keeps as well. Often does not load cells properly. Tried 2 reinstalls. No improvement. Sometimes if it crashes, it wipes all auto and quick saves in that session, going back to the last hard save or auto/quick from a previous sitting.

I have no idea how anyone not on PC can play with any mods. I have to use console 10 times more often than in Oblivion to save/complete quests.

Again, you're blaming the system for stuff that happens based on the mods you're running. And I'm not sure how you can say Oblivion is more stable. Look at all the extra stuff people used to have to run just to USE mods in Oblivion. Regardless the whole post is based on your one single setup. Everyone is not going to have the same experience you did.

Yet again your miss-understanding me, I'm starting to wonder if your doing it on purpose? I never not once said that bethesda was responsible for me crashing, What i was was that beth's software doesnt make it easy to determin what the problem was, and me wanting a crash report of some sort was to make it so you don't have to slog though for hours trying to find the problem (like what your suggesting)

And likewise, I never said you blamed Bethesda for the crashes. My point is, Bethesda created a vanilla game that's about as stable as any game of this size and is better with every patch. Your cashes are caused by you.

And for the third time, for reasons myself and others have explained to you, making a crash report is not the simple thing you think it is.

For the third time, crashes are not programmed events. They are unpredictable.

Also for the record, I do know about programming and software principles, I'm not an aficionado programmer but I know enoough to know that the cuase of a crash Is most Often user related, but it still doesn't change the fact that without some sort of error report, you often have very little idea what causes hence the need to spend hours trying to find it, I think you need to go back to school and learn to read becuase obviously (as shown) you arn't getting my point.

I can read quite well thank you. You are the one who seems to be incapable of understanding the concept that what you are requesting is not something simple for the reasons we've already stated and that your crash problems can be solved on your own as they were caused by YOU.

And lastly, how would having an error reporting system within skyrim give steam more power and make it harder to make mods? All i'm asking is that when you get a CTD that skyrim or windows throws an error report, it's not that hard, exeception catching is an easy (if slightly processor intensive) to put in, it's just time consuming.

It IS hard, and you obviously don't "know about programming and software principles" since you keep pushing the issue.

Picture yourself in a car. You're driving down the road, but you're not paying any attention because you're only focused on getting where you're going. It's some place new that you haven't been before so you have to really pay attention. Someone hits you. You don't know the reason because you were only focused on where you were going. You don't know the cause of the car accident. You can try to deduce what happened, but since you weren't watching at the time of the event, you don't know for sure, so you have nothing solid to report.

Now, if you were paying attention the whole time to everything going on, and you got into a wreck, you would know exactly what caused it, but the whole time you're driving it's requiring much more concentration and you might miss your turn.

Obviously running a program is a lot harder (and safer) than driving a car, but the same thing applies. The game doesn't know ahead of time that a crash is coming so when the crash happens it can't just give you a reason because it was busy running your game and not watching what was going on with your software. The crash was unexpected.

In order to figure out what causes the crash it needs a third party, someone in the passenger seat to watch out for it and see what caused it to crash.

That's where steam comes in. It could have been ANY program, but since Skyrim already runs from within Steam it doesn't make sense to add another program. So you would have to give Steam more power so that it can keep track of what Skyrim is doing at all times so that if the game DOES crash, Steam is paying attention.

You ever run software within an emulator? I don't mean roms and emulators, I mean a real emulator like Dosbox or that Linux windows emulator. They generally run much slower than if you were using all your resources. This is because part of your resources is taken up by the emulator and part of it is taken up by the software you're trying to run.

The same concept would apply if those changes were made to Steam.

I honestly think I'm talking to a wall here. Is anyone else finding this that hard to understand? Am I wrong about something?

The nasty attitude is definitely not making it worth my time explaining it a fourth time.

@rpgjaguar, hiya, keep an eye on the Armed to the Teeth mod also, it is known to cause random freezing/CTD's if

all the weaponry is not setup just right, its also picky about the load order i think.

If you are trying to use an existing savegame made when you were still running all those mods, you may want to start a

fresh new game, invasive overhaul mods tend to bake-in embedded changes into the gamesave that cannot be removed.

Glad Skyrim is somewhat working again, you may want to consider a clean reinstall when patch v1.6 comes out.

By the way, i felt bad highlighting all those wonderful mods you've got lol.

Back on topic, i too wish Bethesda could provide some built-in way to identify specific mod(s) that CTD's the game, maybe

suspending the game engine application kernal crash long enough to log the specific event or maybe somekind of

optional debug running mode that allows you to monitor and troubleshoot an issue.

But, it's probably asking too much of them to realistically create debugging tools to support mods created in the wild by enthusiast gamers.

Anyway, I'm just appreciative Bethesda had the courage to release Skyrim even w/bugs plus open it up to the

modding community with a creation kit.

Edited by xlcr

Gotta be honest here, even with error reporting the vast majority would just stare at the message like it was the Japanese trying to decipher the Navajo code anyway. Worse yet, you may get people telling you how to fix the problem that make the system even worse.

I think back to the scene from Doc Hollywood, where he wants to rush the kid to emergency surgery because his heart is going nuts, and the solution is a simple can of Coke.

All the data fit the diagnosis, he just forgot to include all the conditions which can affect the data.

I spend more time CTD'ing and updating mods than playing lately. I think I'm going back to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. ............. :wallbash:

rpgjaguar try Loading WATER last (with WATER get wet after it) in your list. Then move the Unoffical patch up so its just below your last esm file. that way the esp's that come after it will overwrite. The WATER author suggested his mod loading last of everything in the list.

Edited by NodTuGud