Crash on Start

nico180481

Hello everybody

I'm french, novice to modding. I have a clean Fallout 4 install without mod. I've installed Nexus and download One mod, CBBE.

After activating modding with Fallout 4 configuration tools, and activated CBBE with Nexus, the game crash on loading a save, and don't start any new game.

I think I followed all instuctions found on the net, but this early think already won't work.

After validating the files with Steam, it still won't work anymore, infinite loading time on main menu.

Help!

CBBE is a very simple mod that shouldn't cause any crash on it's own. I don't know about the config tool, i think i only looked at it once.

Let's do this by steps. You dowloaded Nexus Mod Manager (new people should start trying MO 2 or Vortex by now, for me, NMM was not that realiable back then already), installed and it won't work. Have you tried uninstalling the mod and trying the game again without it? If the game works fine without the mod, that's fine. Delete your download, download the mod again, and install again. Try again.

I would recommend you cleaning your ini files though. Delete them (fallout4 and fallout4prefs) from My docs/My games folder, then open the game launcher to create new ones.

Install BethIni and run it. You can adjust everything inside it without much trouble. This way you'll be sure that your game can handle mods the proper way and your inis are fine.

After doing it, then you could try installing the mod again, checking that it's esp is activated in the plugin list and you can even check inside your Data folder if the files are there. (easy way: unmodded game doesn't have Meshes folder. If after installing CBBE you now have a meshes folder, that's all good).

*****Why: Bad ini can make your game behave in improper ways, and corrupt mod installation can make game crash or mod not work at all. NMM is known to sometimes make bad install or even bad downloads, hence why i recommended you to download again.

Hope this can help.

Installing mods is easy, making they play together nicely is where it becomes a bit difficult. But take your time, watch some videos, understand how the Mod Manager works, how mod files and plugins works, and you'll slowly get how to do it properly.

I don't know if Nexus gives any notification about replies to the forum as i never had any, so if you want to ask anything, feel free to send a message, i will try to help as best as i can.

I have deleted all the ini files and revalidated the files by Steam. So the game will now launch and work. I've modified the custom.ini with the bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 and sResourceDataDirsFinal= for activiating modding then retry installing CBBE. Result Crash to Desktop...

Actually since 1.10.106.0 (not an address) update I have not been able to get the following to work in Fallout4Custom.ini

[Archive]

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1
sResourceDataDirsFinal=
nor the following for Fallout4Pref.ini
[Launcher]
uLastAspectRatio=1
bEnableFileSelection=1
The game created Fallout4.ini adds the following
sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\
All of this boils down to textures, meshes, etc will not load unless addressed by a mod through a BAx file. I had no problems with this until this update
Anyone else having this problem and does anyone have a solution.