custom armor piece changes to vanilla armor piece when not wearing power armor. Help?

I've managed to stumble onto yet another problem while making my power armor.

I've included this in my other post about Omods, but thought id make a seperate thread for this problem as its not so related to my first topic.

i made a custom t-45 chest piece (edited a vanilla chest piece and cut off most of the mesh, for testing)

It shows up when wearing the power armor no problem...

But then when i take off the power armor the chest piece changes to the vanilla model.

The armoraddon record only links to my custom chest piece - not the vanilla one.

How and why is the game overiding the nif i point to in the armoraddon record?

Any ideas?

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z422/anarchyangel90/chestpiece%20wierdness1.png

(custom chest piece showing when wearing power armor) ^

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z422/anarchyangel90/chestpiece%20wierdness2.png

(vanilla chest piece shows up when not wearing power armor) ^

after a little while thinking - i realised that when making the custom chest piece nif i had left the original name of the root node is something like "t45torso.nif" -

so i changed the root node name to reflect the custom chest piece nif name (TeddyTestPiece)

so now, when wearing the power armor everything is still ok - but when im not wearing the power armor the vanilla model doesnt show. but unfortionately the custom chest piece doesnt show either.

im assuming at this point that the name of the root node in the nif determines the model thats shown when not wearing the power armor (furniture object)

next ill test to see if this is correct by renaming the root node to a few different random names and see what happens.

anyone know whats going on here?

When you exit the power armor it turns into a furniture with its own "characterassets" path under "Meshes\Furniture\PowerArmor". If you've made changes to the non-furniture version of the nif skeleton, those changes won't be reflected on the furniture model since it has its own skeleton under the said path.

Ehtycci, thank-you very much mate. Does that mean that the furniture power armor has its own copy of each of the armor pieces in its meshes\furniture\powerarmor\... folders?

That would make a lot* of sense ^.^ I'm kicking myself that I didn't realise haha. Thanks again mate, I might be speaking too soon but I think that's the answer here ^.^

I haven't played around enough to be able to get into details, although it does function like weapon racks and armor stands, in that it's a container with its own set of attach points, here being the armor mods. These get transferred to the player inventory and equipped when entered. I gather the furniture has its own set of armor records that indicate what can be attached - maybe it's overriding your custom mods either through the PA furniture records in CK or in the nif - I'm honestly not sure!

Thanks Ehtyeci, but I've been taking a look around the file hierarchy and the furniture\powerarmor\CharacterAssets only contains the furniture frame nif, it doesn't have a mod folder with copies of the actors\powerarmor\characterAssets\mods armor pieces.

A damn shame - that would have been an easy fix.

I've been experimenting with the root node name in the armor piece nif but that doesn't actually seem to make a difference.

I read somewhere last night that the lining Omod value (Eg: 1-5) determines which nif model to show - so I'm going to experiment with that and hope it turns up something promising.

Any other ideas guys? ^.^

Edited by SandMouseAnarchy

Ok, so - after a lot of messing around i took a look at Fo4Edit and found this...

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z422/anarchyangel90/f04edit%20mystery.png

i think that's confirmed it - the default "lining" entry in the armor piece nif is pointing to the T-60 armor piece instead of my custom armor piece.

ive never used Fo4Edit before, i feel like theres a huge learning curve to come.

does anyone know how i should point the entries to my custom armor piece instead? or what would be the best practice method to changing which lining nif to show?

Im about to test weather or not just setting the default 'lining' to "false" will work... wish me luck...

Just a quick update...

SUCCESS! hiding in the armor piece nif are references to other nif files to use if lining a/b/c etc are equipped. (as pictured above)

So, if anyone is following the breadcrumbs I'm leaving in some far off future... grab Fo4Edit and check for these kind of references in the nif.

Thanks Ehtyeci for your help bro :)