Why does this always happen to me?

Okay, here's the deal-

I have multiple mods I am trying to make work, but none of them are showing up in game. I've been trying to use the Mod Manager because doing the process manually wasn't working.

The mods appear checked in the manager and in the data files on the Oblivion launch screen. And they appear in the data folder of Oblivion as well. But in game, they do not appear...At all! This is driving me crazy...I've been trying to get these things to work for 4 days now.

And before you ask-

Yes, I have mods that are based off others and need another mod to work.

Yes, I have the base mods needed for other mods to work

No, None of the mods clash.

Yes, I know this because I've tried going one at a time for some of the mods.

Help please. DX<

Do you have the game installed in the default location C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) and are you running either Vista or Windows 7?

You are most likely running afoul of the Microsoft security feature called User Account Control (UAC). What is happening is UAC is 'protecting' you from those 'unauthorized' changes that the mods are trying to make to the base game. Oblivion was developed long before Microsoft ever dreamed up UAC, so UAC and the game don't cooperate well.

Good news is that UAC only protects certain areas of your computer. If Oblivion is installed in C:\Games it will work without problems on Windows 7. One of the moderators here Bben46 has posted a wiki article that will help get Oblivion re-installed outside of C:\Program Files (x86) ... Oblivion reinstall procedure. If you use the Steam version of the game don't miss the link near the top of the page about moving your Steam install location, and don't skip the registry cleaning step ... it's important.

What game version do you have? Can be read up at the bottom left of the main menu title screen.

I'm asking, because plugins created with the 1.2 CS (nowadays almost all) will simply be "silently ignored" by a pre-1.2 game version. There will be no error and no warning. The contents simply won't be there as if the plugin was never loaded.

The up-to-date game version is v1.2.0416, whether it's with or without the Shivering Isles expansion. Any version lower than that, or even lower than 1.2, and you'll run into issues, especially ones like you're describing.

If this is not it though, you need to be far more specific what is and what isn't working. How do you know the mods "don't work"? What mods are those? Is it only plugins not working or also replacer-type mods, those without plugins, just replacing resource files themselves? This kind of additional information we'll need to know what's going on.

Edited by DrakeTheDragon

The version of Oblivion I have is 1.0.228.

The Shivering Isle expansion I have is the version 1.2.416, but as of right now it refuses to download and repeatedly shows the error message “Old file not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update was done since file contents do not match.”

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Oblivion and still nothing.

And I have a variety of mods. Pluggins, add ons, recolors, you name it. I tried testing one by one (Like a mod for more eye colors for vanilla races) and nothing changed or showed up.

Hopefully I can figure out why Shivering Isles will not download and after it does, mods should work, yes?

This is what I get for being a newbie in PC moding…

Note that you need to use the correct version of the patch, depending on whether or not Shivering Isles is installed. In addition to the different language versions the Bethesda site has different versions of the patch for whether or not you have SI installed. In addition, if you use the Game of the Year edition that includes SI you will get the game patched up to version 1.2.0416 when you install SI from the GotY disks.

If you are trying to install the correct version of the patch and getting that error you may have messed up registry entries getting in the way. Using the Oblivion reinstall procedure uninstall the game, clean the registry and re-install. If you are going to install SI the correct order is install Oblivion then install SI, check your version number in the game menu (if you're unsure whether or not you have the GotY version) and then apply the correct patch if the version isn't already 1.2.0416 after installing SI.

If you are using the Steam version of the game it should patch itself automatically. You can't use the Bethesda patches on the Steam version. If you have the disks for SI I suggest installing it even if you don't intend to play SI as once you have non-SI Oblivion patched to version 1.2.0416 you must uninstall the game to add SI at a later date.