Fallout program location?

MerlinCross

Okay so here's a stupid question.

I've been looking to how to better stream line my game for mods. Such as Wrye Bash and other programs. However, I'm seeing something on these programs. "You might have issues if you installed Fallout into Programs"

Well that's actually where I put my Fallout 4 game. Just how bad is this for trying to mod the game?

windows closely guards the C:Drive, as this is the typical location viruses aim for, as such windows implements security to protect the C:Drive

what this means for modding, is windows will be funny about any content that is installed anywhere inside the C:Drive. and uses a permission system as well as windows defender (microsoft own firewall and antivirus system), to prevent unauthorized access to the C:Drive

now their are simple methods to grant full access to the C:Drive:

1. turn of User Account Control (this will weaken security, but at same time grant more freedom, only do this if you are experienced with computers, and understand security)

2. Take Ownership of the C:Drive and all content Stored on the C:Drive (understand this is very risky to users that do not understand or have little knowledge on computer security, doing this will weaken the security, and as such only super users/ computer administrators that have a lot of knowledge on computer security should even think about doing this, taking full ownership of the C:Drive and its contents, will grant you full access to your system, but at same time will allow viruses and other malicious content also have full access to your C:Drive)

so it is highly recommended to install both the Game, Steam and Mods to any other Harddrive that is not the OS Drive (the harddrive that windows is installed to) <-- doing so will grant much more freedom to mods, and programs, and greatly prevent potentional issues that could arise by windows security.

for the record windows 10 is much more harsh on security then windows 7 (this is a good thing but also annoying at the same time) on windows 7 you have much more freedom, but at same time so do viruses, however if you fully understand computers and security, your chances of getting viruses and other malicious content is very slim on windows 7.

Example, i have been on windows 7 for over 8 years with no protection whatsoever, and my machine has never been infected, and is still running the same as the day it was first installed, just have to be careful even paranoid about what you do with your machine and fully understand computing and security.

" Just how bad is this for trying to mod the game?"

not that bad actually, its just programs will have problems, not the game or mods themselves however. programs such as wrye bash, possibly f4se etc etc, however you might get issues with installing mods, but its unlikely (atleast on windows 7) windows 10 however may be pretty bad, as the security on their as said is much more strict. from what i remember (i only used it for a week however) things may of changed.

Edited by Guest

random crashes could be caused by anyhing, such as: incorrect load order, mod conflicts, heavy scripted mod setup (basically having to many scripted mods, or having mods that are poorly scripted) deleting/unistalling scripted mods in an active playthrough (never do this), using enb with other overlays such as msi afterburner, nvidia experience (i forget what that actual program is called), having too many services that may be resource hogging (very likely in windows 10, as it has many more active services then windows 7, which in turn results in less overall resources for gaming)

so yea with that in mind, see if your load order is correct, try to elimnate as many active programs as possible while gaming, try not to use many scripted mods, etc etc.

the very fist you will want to do is make sure your load order is correct, and make sure you have no mod conflicts. if you want more information on this let me know.

Edited by Guest