Can I have more than one character created using different mods?

bryman1970

I haven't created a bunch of MOM profiles myself, but all I did was use MOM to create the profiles that have become unique over time. If you have a vanilla profile you'd like to use as a base for a new character's profile then copy it using MOM and give the copy a descriptive name. Here's a quote from the readme:

New:

The new button allows you to make a new Image; this Image is created based on your current Active Image. So for example if your Active Image is called say Vanilla and you make a New Image, the New Image will be a copy of the Vanilla Image. To make MOM copy a different Image you just swap in the new one you want to copy.

So with your vanilla profile set as your current profile click 'New' and then name your new profile. Make your new profile the active profile and then add mods the same as you did before, using BAIN and/or OBMM. If you found a new mod you wanted to add to all your profiles you could add them one at a time, switching to each profile and making it the active profile using the 'Swap' button. You'd want to take care of rebuilding your bashed patch before moving on to the next profile. Start a new character on that profile and if there are any saves in the saves folder from a previous character you can move them out of the saves folder to a backup folder.

My manual install method just allows me to streamline the process a bit ... I still need to make each profile active and then activate the mod using the vanilla game 'Data Files'. If you were adding a dozen mods to half a dozen profiles every day the process would get a bit tedious, but mostly I might be adding one or two mods a week (if that) and currently only maintain two profiles.

I'll probably use the same overhaul mod but different body replacer mods. In short, can I just copy and paste my fresh Oblivion install into the same folder as my current game and just use that, adding mods as I go?

If you are going to do that, you should use MOM.

There are a number of ways you can do it in MOM. You could take your fully modded profile and make a copy of it with a new name like I outlined above. Then make your new profile active and uninstall any mods you don't want in the new profile. You could take a vanilla base profile, make it active and create a new profile based off the unmodded vanilla profile and then add mods to it. You could add the mods by installing them using the same methods as you would an ordinary non-MOM game (i.e BAIN, OBMM or manual install each mod) or if you had another profile that had all of the base mods you'd want in this new profile you could just copy the Data folder from that profile to your new one and then add more mod to it.

Your best bet to get familiar with how MOM works and what you can do using MOM is to start with a vanilla unmodded game profile. Make two copies of that unmodded profile using the 'New' button, giving each a unique name (let's call them Profile1 and Profile2 for this example with the vanilla profile named Vanilla). Make Profile1 the active profile using the 'Swap' button. Install a few mods using whichever method you are comfortable with. Using Windows Explorer look at your Oblivion install folders. With Profile1 active you will see an Oblivion\Data folder, a Vanilla\Data folder and a Profile2\Data folder. Right click on the Data folder in Profile1\Data and select 'Copy". Right click on the Profile2 folder and select 'Paste' (not the Data folder ... the run of thumb when copying folders is always paste into one level higher than you copied from). You'll get a prompt about there already being a folder named Data, OK to overwrite. Click 'Yes to all'.

Now open MOM and swap to Profile2. Using your method of choice (vanilla 'Data Files', OBMM or Wrye Bash checkout the mod list. Even though Profile2 started as a copy of Vanilla with no mods now you'll see all the mods from Profile1 listed but not activated. Activate all, none or some of them (your choice for this experiment). Install two more mods in Profile2 (I'll call them ModA and ModB). In Windows Explorer go into the Oblivion\Data folder and copy all of the resources of ModB and paste them into the correct locations in Profile1\Data (easiest if you pick a very simple mod for ModB ... something with just an esp and a BSA would be ideal, I suggest Companion Vilja in which case you would copy the files 1em_Vilja.esp and 1em_Vilja.bsa from Oblivion\Data and paste them into Profile1\Data ... in this case because we're copying files and not folders we paste into the folder that we want the files to wind up in ... Data). Swap to Profile1 and you'll find Vilja added to the list of mods (not yet activated) but not ModA.

Last exercise is to download a mod to a temporary folder and extract it (again a relatively simple mod is best for training purposes ... something with an esp and textures and meshes folder, but no optional stuff folders you need to chose from). If it is packaged starting from a Data folder right click on the Data folder and then paste once in your Oblivion folder (which should still be Profile1 active from the previous exercise) and paste again in your Profile2 folder. If the extracted download doesn't start at Data then you can either create a Data folder and move the extracted files and folders to their correct locations or do a multi-stage copy/paste, first with the esp and then with each of the folders ... I find the create your own Data folder method best myself. Look at your mod list on both Profile1 (which your are currently logged into) and then swap to Profile2 and you'll see your mod listed but not activated in both.

If you follow all of that tutorial you'll know about as much as I do about what you can do using MOM.

Ok. I think i'm getting the hang of it. Finally. I'm installing OBMM, Wrye Bash and BOSS in each folder before I import it into MOM. Seeing as I started with just one character, that folder was named Oblivion. I named the folder with my new character Inwaen (my character's name) and imported it. I notice when I switch to the original character, both folders are named MOM_Inwaen. This doesn't seem right although the game does still work. Should I change the names of the folders to the character names?

Edit: I was thinking of making a backup of the original character folder, deleting the image through MOM, then replacing the folder under a new name (my original character name), then importing it to MOM again. Will this work?

Edited by bryman1970

Yes keep your names unique, if not for MOM for your own sake. I use 'MyOldGuy' and 'MyNewGuy', but I'm known for unimaginative names that leave no doubt who belongs to what folder. All my game characters wind up being named Striker ... like I said, unimaginative.

Something to keep in mind concerning backups ... the best place for backups is on a different physical hard drive or lacking that a USB stick or the like. Don't forget to keep the backups of the saves for each character together with that character's Data folder. I've never used MOM to delete an image, but if it works as well as the other MOM functions I don't see why not use MOM for the shuffle. Rename the folder in the backup location before you import. Keep a copy safe as a fall back position.

Actually all you need is the Data folder that is inside your Oblivion folder and each of the profiles you'll build with MOM (look at my examples in the previous posts). Your saves will be found in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves and after you start making profiles with MOM there will be some folders named Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\MyNewGuy or Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\MyOldGuy (in my case) depending on which profile you are currently logged into (when my current is MyOldGuy I will only have Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\Saves and Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion\MyNewGuy for example).