Anybody else get into oblivion more than skyrim?

WWWEEE

I felt that I got into oblivion way more than i did skyrim. Don't get me wrong skyrim is a great game but i don't think anything could beat oblivion. Opinions? Edited by WWWEEE

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Oblivion your first TES game? If it was, you being new to the series + nostalgia could make it seem better. I remember having more fun playing Oblivion but that's just nostalgia and I'll probably miss Skyrim by TES 6. Skyrim is worse in ways but it's the far better game overall.

I Played Oblivion a lot more than i can play skyrim, i can still play oblivion today without getting bored, but skyrim bores me after awhile now. I enjoyed Oblivion more, i found the quests more interesting and varied, the gameplay mechanics are better in skyrim but i found oblivion more fun and interesting.

While I realy love Skyrim, the thing that kinda gets me is the lack of character stats.

I started with morrowind, and loved how I could have a very strong character, or a weak just fast and agile character.

So I guess that plays some part. In oblivion those stats still existed, and I found it easier to play than morrowind (even if it was lacking character and consequences)

I realy wish they hadn't killed stats. It makes it hard for a lot of mods too. Duke Patricks combat for example required strength and agility ect for certain calculations. survival mods always relied on stats too, and it's harder having only health stamina and magicka....

I agree that some of the quests in Skyrim feel a little futile. I get the feeling there was more choice in previous games....

Well, for me, I put about 2000 hours into vanilla Oblivion before I got tired of it, and then an extra 500 when I finally got OB for the PC (I was still playing Xbox back then) and thus had mods. Then for Morrowind I put close to 3000 before I got tired of vanilla (and yet still didn't do absolutely everything, even to this day) and modded combined.

With Skyrim, I got to about 150 hours before I started getting tired of it. After letting it sit for several months and then coming back, the new mods that had come out since made it more bearable and I've been able to put an extra 30ish hours in and counting.

So yes as an Elder Scrolls game Skyrim can get boring very quickly, but mods also regenerate interest in it far more quickly than they did for the past two games.

It also helps if you've never done it before to do a hardcore, iron-man playthrough, which is what I've been doing with my characters now that mods like Frostfall and Imp's MC Needs are out. Get really invested in your character and put them in a world where they'll very easily die and make it so that if you do die you can't reload and start over. You die, you die. Its total fun.

Skyrim is much, much better than Oblivion for me. I remember starting up Oblivion and it was absolute disappointment from then on. Skyrim had its disappointing bits (the return of the horrible cell grid engine for outdoors (I *hate* that ugly, ugly system)) and I found there was a general lack of vision from the developpers. They seemed mostly content to rest on their laurels. That being said, there was a least a decent boost in quality and a much more interesting world than Cyrodiil.

Honestly, though, if the developpers don't try to innovate their game for TESVI, I might not be as interested in it. After 5 games (MW, Obl, FO3, FONV and Skyrim) I've just about stomach as much as I could with this very buggy, jumpy game engine.

The fact that they seem perfectly fine with the incredibly obnoxious z-fighting on distant mountains tells me they just don't know what quality control is.

Edited by Northborn

I saw this type of thread all the time back on the PS3 board before I got the PC version. Problem is, all these people in the thread played Oblivion first, and to me that makes a difference. Nostalgia has a way to cloud your judgement especially when it's the PC crowd whose been playing Oblivion with mods for years.

I want to hear from someone who played Skyrim first and then Oblivion and see them say they liked Oblivion better. I haven't heard too much of that and there's a reason for it.

Personally I think everything's better in Skyrim. The ONLY reason I'm at all interested in playing Oblivion is to learn the characters and see some (to me) new enemies. Pretty much after you've seen one village and the Imperial City in Oblivion it feels like you've seen it all. I haven't encountered much different.

The NPC face models in Oblivion are horrendous, even for the time. Everyone looks like shrek.

The combat is about the same except the physics are much better in Skyrim. The Hero of Kvatch seems to just slide along the ground when he walks, whereas the Dragonborn actually feels rooted to the landscape when he walks.

The class system is a matter of opinion, but personally I'm much more pleased with the perk system where I can choose what I want to do instead of being forced into it by a character class I chose way in the beginning. It seems more realistic to me as well. If I started life as a warrior, I might decide I want to learn some magic. And the consequences are real as well. You don't lose your warrior skills, but maybe now you can't become as good in magic because you don't have the time to spend on it.

The UI in Oblivion really irritates me, the way everything is crammed into one menu and the map is in a little box. The fact that I can't walk when overencumbered really ruins a lot of the experience for me as well.

I'll take Skyrim all day.

Couldn't get Morrowind to run on my laptop. I'll have to put it on the big machine if I want to play.

I saw this type of thread all the time back on the PS3 board before I got the PC version. Problem is, all these people in the thread played Oblivion first, and to me that makes a difference. Nostalgia has a way to cloud your judgement especially when it's the PC crowd whose been playing Oblivion with mods for years.

I want to hear from someone who played Skyrim first and then Oblivion and see them say they liked Oblivion better. I haven't heard too much of that and there's a reason for it.

Personally I think everything's better in Skyrim. The ONLY reason I'm at all interested in playing Oblivion is to learn the characters and see some (to me) new enemies. Pretty much after you've seen one village and the Imperial City in Oblivion it feels like you've seen it all. I haven't encountered much different.

The NPC face models in Oblivion are horrendous, even for the time. Everyone looks like shrek.

The combat is about the same except the physics are much better in Skyrim. The Hero of Kvatch seems to just slide along the ground when he walks, whereas the Dragonborn actually feels rooted to the landscape when he walks.

The class system is a matter of opinion, but personally I'm much more pleased with the perk system where I can choose what I want to do instead of being forced into it by a character class I chose way in the beginning. It seems more realistic to me as well. If I started life as a warrior, I might decide I want to learn some magic. And the consequences are real as well. You don't lose your warrior skills, but maybe now you can't become as good in magic because you don't have the time to spend on it.

The UI in Oblivion really irritates me, the way everything is crammed into one menu and the map is in a little box. The fact that I can't walk when overencumbered really ruins a lot of the experience for me as well.

I'll take Skyrim all day.

Couldn't get Morrowind to run on my laptop. I'll have to put it on the big machine if I want to play.

I agree with you. I like oblivion mostly just because i'm use to it also, i would love to hear it from a person who only played skyrim first then obivion. Problem is oblivion came out in 2006 so of course the graphics are much, much much more different than skyrim so the the player might dislike the game just because of that.