Anybody else get into oblivion more than skyrim?

WWWEEE

I agree with you. I like oblivion mostly just because i'm use to it also, i would love to hear it from a person who only played skyrim first then obivion. Problem is oblivion came out in 2006 so of course the graphics are much, much much more different than skyrim so the the player might dislike the game just because of that.

Especially with the current generation of complainers. And I know it wasn't an accusation towards me, but I just want to point out that I complained about the character models above not because they were old graphics, but to me they were a step backwards from Morrowind. There's a chart out there... I found it in a youtube video, but couldn't find the actual image file...

The chart shows the race evolution of the TES races in each video game. To me this clearly illustrates how Oblivion was a total step backwards in character models.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oblivion was the first Elder Scrolls I ever played and I got way more involved in it than Skyrim, don't get me wrong Skyrim is a great game, but Oblivion (to me anyway) is just amazing.....mostly due to nostalgia. :thumbsup:

Oblivion was also my first TES game.

I can see many better things in Skyrim. I definitely like the world much more, but compared to Oblivion, Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quests were rather poor, especially Dark Brotherhood. I must admit that DB questline in Oblivion was epic win and one of the best game quests I ever played, if not the best.

Reading through this I wonder how many felt the same way at first when playing Oblivion after playing Morrowind. I know when I first started playing Oblivion I felt like I did when first playing Skyrim. I has the sense that things had changed maybe too much. After playing with them I get used to it and going back to the previous games it doens't feel the same. I will admit that at first with Skyrim I was disappointed in how female characters looked which turned me off at first. But, thanks to several modders, that has been modified and I'm playing Skyrim as much as I did the other two. I will admit the one thing I don't like about Skyrim is the map. Otherwise it's been a fun game to play, I really like the smithing feature in Skyrim.

I agree with you. I like oblivion mostly just because i'm use to it also, i would love to hear it from a person who only played skyrim first then obivion. Problem is oblivion came out in 2006 so of course the graphics are much, much much more different than skyrim so the the player might dislike the game just because of that.

Especially with the current generation of complainers. And I know it wasn't an accusation towards me, but I just want to point out that I complained about the character models above not because they were old graphics, but to me they were a step backwards from Morrowind. There's a chart out there... I found it in a youtube video, but couldn't find the actual image file...

The chart shows the race evolution of the TES races in each video game. To me this clearly illustrates how Oblivion was a total step backwards in character models.

Wow that's interesting, i never really had the experience of seeing how much of a step back it was. Even if oblivion was the first TES game i ever played i still got into morrowind. But the weird thing is i played FO3 first and then FONV but i really like FONV but not as much as FO3, but those games are really close in graphics.

I saw this type of thread all the time back on the PS3 board before I got the PC version. Problem is, all these people in the thread played Oblivion first, and to me that makes a difference. Nostalgia has a way to cloud your judgement especially when it's the PC crowd whose been playing Oblivion with mods for years.

I want to hear from someone who played Skyrim first and then Oblivion and see them say they liked Oblivion better. I haven't heard too much of that and there's a reason for it.

Personally I think everything's better in Skyrim. The ONLY reason I'm at all interested in playing Oblivion is to learn the characters and see some (to me) new enemies. Pretty much after you've seen one village and the Imperial City in Oblivion it feels like you've seen it all. I haven't encountered much different.

The NPC face models in Oblivion are horrendous, even for the time. Everyone looks like shrek.

The combat is about the same except the physics are much better in Skyrim. The Hero of Kvatch seems to just slide along the ground when he walks, whereas the Dragonborn actually feels rooted to the landscape when he walks.

The class system is a matter of opinion, but personally I'm much more pleased with the perk system where I can choose what I want to do instead of being forced into it by a character class I chose way in the beginning. It seems more realistic to me as well. If I started life as a warrior, I might decide I want to learn some magic. And the consequences are real as well. You don't lose your warrior skills, but maybe now you can't become as good in magic because you don't have the time to spend on it.

The UI in Oblivion really irritates me, the way everything is crammed into one menu and the map is in a little box. The fact that I can't walk when overencumbered really ruins a lot of the experience for me as well.

I'll take Skyrim all day.

Couldn't get Morrowind to run on my laptop. I'll have to put it on the big machine if I want to play.

Nostalgia a mixed feeling of happiness, sadness and longing when recalling a person, place or event from the past. If someone is currently playing Morrowind or Oblivion as I am doing on an alternating daily schedule then it cannot be considered nostalgia to say Morrowind or Oblivion is preferred to Skyrim. Skyrim looks great, less filling.

My husband and I have been playing the Elderscrolls since the beginning, well I played Arena and my husband started with Daggerfall.

After coming from Morrowind and having such a blast with that game, we absolutely hated Oblivion. There was no quest branching, no choice vs consequence and it was a completely static environment - you could leave an Oblivion gate open forever and nothing would ever come of it, for example. The sense of exploration was completely gone as well because of all the whining Bethesda got from the ADHD kids when they couldn't find things RIGHT AWAY, so they decided to add a compass to lead you by the nose everywhere you had to go. It was the first time I didn't feel the excitement of finishing my first run through an Elderscrolls game so I could reroll a new character because they were all going to have the exact same experience anyway, why bother. Not only that, but even the fricken NPCs often had multiple voices each so mid conversation it sounded like you were talking to a completely different person. So crappy. Oh! And that completely idiotic conversation minigame. Christ.

I think a big blow was being completely wowed by Tom Howard's multiple preview trailers that depicted how awesome and real life-like the radiant ai was going to be and how amazing the forests were, how they grew in game, etc and none of it actually came to be in the actual game. It was a typical bait and switch, and I think I'll never truly trust a video preview from a game developer ever again. A tough lesson learned. ;)

I'm sure Oblivion would have been a much better experience heavily modded but I just couldn't bear to stick around for it. We played Skyrim to death, however and loved it. Sure the quest branching wasn't a vast improvement but at least this time around I felt like I had different ways of achieving certain goals, etc. It was just a much more enjoyable experience and with not nearly the aggravation factor that Oblivion had.

Edited by Shadeling

I've played Morrowind, Oblivion, and now Skyrim and I think that each has there own pros and cons.

Morrowind was expansive, a huge map filled with lots of things and tons of quests/factions. But, Morrowind didn't have the re-spawning caves/mines/ext. that make it easier to level.

Oblivion was great for it's variety of foliage, textured landscaping, the Oblivion Gates and grand expansions. However, I hated the introduction. It was longer then Morrowind's and monotonous (after the second time it was annoying).

Skyrim offers excellent graphics (in my opinion), a unique perspective since now you either choose to let the Imperials totally invade Skyrim or support the Nords in defending their homeland, and you get to experience a long lost relic that a certain Khajiit explains in oblivion. Plus you have a smoother menu screen for the game. I also like the perks idea and having a skill tree rather then just have a general ability, which lets you learn some parts of an ability but mix it with others and get more precise class combos.

As far as the stats thing goes for me.... I do think I enjoy Skyrim better. Some of you may not know this, but you do in fact increase other attributes besides just magicka, health, and stamina. If you read the sign stones that you randomly find in the wilds, they do increase different stats. Like the Stead increases your weight limit and running speed, which in Oblivion would have been like increasing your strength stat and athletics ability.

I think over all I do enjoy Skyrim better then Oblivion. I was talking to someone on another site and he had mentioned that in the PC version of Skyrim, if you go to the edges of the map it's expansive enough that it looks like there could be a possibility of connecting Cyrodill to Skyrim. Like, it's an open invitation to modders to test there abilities and forward all of Oblivion to the new Skyrim. If this is so, then it would be awesome. Likewise, if the team that remade some of Morrowind as an Oblivion mod forwarded that for Skyrim I don't see how anyone could think this wasn't one of the most epic games out there.

Oblivion was the first game of its kind which i played and i was fascinated by it, growing up with consoles instead of a PC meant i couldn't play the big open world games (the PS2 and the GTA games were still limited,) i was always behind on the consoles and the Xbox360's graphics and advancement shocked me!

I see Skyim as a step down mainly because it was stripped and is loosing its heritage due to being made for the more casual gamer, it has less guild quests and seems less immersive then Oblivion.. the only things better are the more detailed meshes even though i think Oblivion modded on the PC looked better!